Article: a free Windows-based software studio

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Paree wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:53 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:43 pm This is a very good write-up! I agree with almost all of it. I also agree that TX16Wx is the best available sampler with an open format. It’s too bad that it doesn’t have native linux support and that the Pro version uses challenge/response copy protection. I would add Surge-XT and Vaporizer 2, but aside from that, the article is quite complete and well done! I also like that you explain your reasons for your choices. Good job!
I did mention Surge at the start of Instruments section. I recently installed Vaporizer 2, it looks promising, however i haven’t dived deep with it yet.

Also, what is the substitute for TX16Wx for Linux (ideally vst3 since it is universally supported)
I wish there was one. At the moment, the closest are TAL-Sampler or Disco DSP’s Bliss Sampler—both not free. Hopefully later this year we’ll have SCXT (ShortCircuit-XT). Until then, we only have Sfizz and Decent Sampler.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:15 pm
Paree wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:53 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:43 pm This is a very good write-up! I agree with almost all of it. I also agree that TX16Wx is the best available sampler with an open format. It’s too bad that it doesn’t have native linux support and that the Pro version uses challenge/response copy protection. I would add Surge-XT and Vaporizer 2, but aside from that, the article is quite complete and well done! I also like that you explain your reasons for your choices. Good job!
I did mention Surge at the start of Instruments section. I recently installed Vaporizer 2, it looks promising, however i haven’t dived deep with it yet.

Also, what is the substitute for TX16Wx for Linux (ideally vst3 since it is universally supported)
I wish there was one. At the moment, the closest are TAL-Sampler or Disco DSP’s Bliss Sampler—both not free. Hopefully later this year we’ll have SCXT (ShortCircuit-XT). Until then, we only have Sfizz and Decent Sampler.
Found some stuff

https://github.com/clearly-broken-softw ... 1.0-beta.2

It’s probably not as advanced as tx16wx, not sure if it has Multi sampling but maybe simplicity is a good thing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Interesting! I remember when that came out, but I had completely forgotten about it! It looks like something similar to Ableton Simpler. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:46 pm Interesting! I remember when that came out, but I had completely forgotten about it! It looks like something similar to Ableton Simpler. :)
Updated that post, added this as a Linux option, i also added a lot of links for sampled instruments, mostly decent sampler, some are for kontakt which can be converted.Took NI komplete as reference for what instruments i need to search.

I guess i will keep updating it if i find something new. I want to make a list of free vintage synth emulations as well when i have some time.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”