Anyone else noticed Host Specific Snobbery?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ntom wrote:

I love you ntom!

R
E
A
P

what you sow

CT wrote:The snobbery seems to be particularly strong among Pro Tools users. Maybe its their way of making themselves feel better about spending all that money.
Well, it's not all that expensive anymore and there was a time when it was worth the money. Pro Tools 3 was revolutionary, seriously.

hibidy wrote:
ntom wrote:

I love you ntom!
Yeah me too, I love myself.

Uncle E wrote:
CT wrote:The snobbery seems to be particularly strong among Pro Tools users. Maybe its their way of making themselves feel better about spending all that money.
Well, it's not all that expensive anymore and there was a time when it was worth the money. Pro Tools 3 was revolutionary, seriously.
Please, protools? :roll: Who ever made any money using that? :roll:

ntom wrote:
hibidy wrote:
ntom wrote:

I love you ntom!
Yeah me too, I love myself.
You just had to ruin it............

I still think its a bit on the expensive side. I bought an mbox 3 with pro tools 8 le a month or two before the release of 9. At $250, the upgrade was something I decided to wait on, in part because I was already using Logic, and just starting to use Live 8. With the release of PT10, the upgrade price became $500 and now I dont think I'll upgrade.

I considered upgrading because I did see use for it, particularly while recording and editing audio. But now, I guess I'll just make do with Logic and Live, and maybe get reaper if I feel they're falling short.

I didnt know much about PT3 till Uncle E mentioned it, and looked it up. There is no denying that digidesign have made some revolutionary products back in the day, and have played a role in advancing digital audio in general. Their products are good, and Im also really happy with the avid mbox. And of course, in the big studios, pro tools still is and probably will always remain king. But I have noticed a strong elitism among some users, which is probably mainly because of their own inability to adapt.

The worst host i have found for not only workflow but also feature snobbery is very much the fanbois at the REAPER forum.
"No that's a macro not a built in feature"
"No that's an extension not a native feature"
"You shouldn't use a mouse, use keyboard shortcuts"
Blah blah blah blah blah blah
Renoise users come a very close second
"Why do you want to do that, go use that toy FLS"
"Why would you want to do that, It's a tracker"

They are all funny though hahahaha

Personal snobbery/bigotry exists in Religion, Cars, Fashion, Music, Movie Directors, ... Why not in hosts?
Cowbells!

I started out with FLstudio and quickly grew out of the strange way it handles MIDI to plugins.

I've since used Reaper extensively, as well as Cantabile, and I still frequently use Phrazor and energy xt 1.4.

Recently I've moved to mostly hardware and found myself coming back and LOVING FLStudio 10. Two major reasons - Edison - the best Audio recording tool there is, and FL Peak controller - so incredibly handy.

I can see 50 mixer tracks on scree with FLstudio - loads of room for routing and in general the Audio side of it has vastly improved over the years.

Suits you sir.

gpunk wrote:The worst host i have found for not only workflow but also feature snobbery is very much the fanbois at the REAPER forum.
"No that's a macro not a built in feature"
"No that's an extension not a native feature"
"You shouldn't use a mouse, use keyboard shortcuts"
Blah blah blah blah blah blah
Renoise users come a very close second
"Why do you want to do that, go use that toy FLS"
"Why would you want to do that, It's a tracker"

They are all funny though hahahaha
If people on Kvr would ever start generalising,
I'm out of here!
Last edited by spaceman on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

highkoo wrote:
musikmachine wrote:When i tell sales engineers i use FL Studio they say Fruityloops?! and give me a withering look. :(
Man, I hear that. Ive been using FL fo'eva.
I kind of well, lie, about what I use pretty often. I have stopped lately, as there is nothing to hide from. But the apps undeserved rep will wear off on you, undeservedly. I lied and when I was talking to the kind of asshat who thinks that shit is important they just ate it right up.

Now I tell the truth, and half the time get the same reaction as mm, but I laugh and ask em what they use, or what they think I should use.
If its not Live, I laugh harder...
Thing is, until around v6 or so, FL did not compete at the top. It didnt deserve the stigma, but I dont think it could quite stack up to the big guys for pro stuff, even pro 'beat making'. Im no pro, but now at v10, its way more often I find myself 'smh' reading about things that are v's old in FL that in other daws are either missing or broken, or just shitty. :hihi:
I don't really get a withering look but when i tell them i can hear the scorn in their voice! :cry:

Nah, people are usually surprised though but i think it's largely overlooked cause on the surface it looks like a 4x4 grid based pattern sequencer/f1 cockpit hui. :hihi:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Hey hey it's all fun and games UNTIL someone mentions Renoise! Of course it's the best (same as S2) so don't start, or I call the Reaper and the only way to escape is in a Reasonable, Cubaseicle starship on the way to Orion! No Sonar can help you. Doesn't sound so Fruity anymore now does it?? *oh damn!!* :hihi:
Cowbells!

hibidy wrote:
ntom wrote:

I love you mom!
It's the hair isn't it? :hihi:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Everyone knows that this one rules!!!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”