Classes

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I've read about everything there is online. I still feel like a beginner. As such, I was pondering the idea of taking some classes.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with "Point Blank" online classes? Here is an example class I might consider taking: http://www.pointblankonline.net/electro ... n-live.php

I just want to be careful not to throw money out the window.

Does anyone know of any classes worth taking? Something beyond "This is an oscillator, this is a filter..."

I want to learn sequences and techniques specific to genres of music such as trance, psytrance, and house. I want to learn much more about sound design and how to go in knowing what I want to create and be able to reproduce it.

I checked out the local universities and nothing great popped up.

Truthfully, they aren't going to teach you anything you can't learn from a youtube video. I'd actually recommend this if you really want a refined video tutorial experience:

http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/

I own most of Rick's DVDs(you can actually download most of them now), and they teach in a manor that 'teaches you how to fish' if you know what I mean. He doesn't simply tell you to turn xyz knob to 1.23, he explains everything he's doing and explains the mental process that goes with every aspect of production.

If you have any questions on a specific DVD you can ask, and I'll answer if I own it, or you can just ask on their forum which is fairly active for such a small community.

If you're using Live, check out Tom Cosm's site. I think his videos are very helpful.

www.cosm.co.nz/

JD Gaffe wrote:Truthfully, they aren't going to teach you anything you can't learn from a youtube video.
Well that sucks, because I've watched all there is to watch on youtube and still can't design 95% of the sounds I hear, or compose an entire song without having 900 separate beginnings, endings, and middles first.

I know there is something more that can be done. I am tired of going through online resources, filtering out advertisements, "Buy my new sample pack!", "Buy my songs", "Send me money!"

For instance, I've only seen 2 videos that teach anything at all about FM synthesis, and they are just the bare basics. Yet, tons of commercial music out there is using it. There has to be a way to learn more.

People like the time argument too. Sure, nothing is a replacement for experience, but I am sure there is more I can do to make the time I do spend more worthwhile.
JD Gaffe wrote: I'd actually recommend this if you really want a refined video tutorial experience:

http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/

I own most of Rick's DVDs(you can actually download most of them now), and they teach in a manor that 'teaches you how to fish' if you know what I mean. He doesn't simply tell you to turn xyz knob to 1.23, he explains everything he's doing and explains the mental process that goes with every aspect of production.

If you have any questions on a specific DVD you can ask, and I'll answer if I own it, or you can just ask on their forum which is fairly active for such a small community.
I'll take a look. Thanks

Cheeso wrote:If you're using Live, check out Tom Cosm's site. I think his videos are very helpful.

www.cosm.co.nz/
Not alot of info there before watching, but for $10/mo, I might check out a few and see if they are worth paying for. Thanks.

Edit:
These are actually quite good. Most seem geared towards DubStep though. I went through the "Build/Break" video last night that he offered up for free. It had a lot of good ideas and a lot of effect usage that I didn't consider using that way.

Most sites seem to be geared towards DubStep these days. It kind of sucks, because I don't like that genre.
Last edited by brekehan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's ok to study things but you have to practice too. Stop reading and watching and try to make some songs. Even if they're not very good you'll get experience and everything you've read/watch before will make some senses.

Then when you've done maybe 10 songs, re-read/watch some theory and even if it's the same stuff you're watching again, you'll understand it in a new way and you'll realise that some things you thought you understand the 1st time you watch you didn't really.

Honestly, I've been exactly where you are. Getting out of that phase was pretty much a product of sheer will.

1) Don't muddle around in the details when writing. Writing should be a natural process. Screw the effects, automation, etc. Play, sing, hum, or beatbox your whole track in to your daw before you get to synth design and effects. Working from this perspective lets you "paint by numbers" after the song is essentially written.

2) The only way to get better is to push through and keep making songs. Practicing is the only way to train your ear. It's like learning to play an instrument; after a while, certain things become automatic and you can flourish a bit rather than drudge through the detail and confusion. Shit them out and keep going.

3) Make the music that comes naturally. It's rough trying to write for a genre that isn't intuitive. Write music that just "happens" when you're at the DAW, even if it's not your favorite genre. You'll learn a faster workflow because you're not hampered by some ideal sound. You can always write that crazy stuff later, once you have a firm understanding.

4) As an experiment, take a track and make it "perfect". Listen from multiple perspectives. Is it too muddy for your taste? Address that. Is it not complicated enough? Address that. Find every nitpick you can on a single track, and just tweak the hell out of it. Just like getting less detail oriented helps you learn and build workflow, getting hyper detailed occasionally lets you dive in to the minutiae and learn some of the more delicate tasks. You can apply these later with less effort, and your workflow quality will increase.

5) The people who are going to teach you classes are (mostly) failed in their industry (thus why the are teaching rather than working in their industry). There are definitely exceptions but I'd still say don't waste your money. Schools ARE good at doing one thing: giving you deadlines. Set some personal goals for yourself, and then give them a HARD completion date. Have a "one song a week" or even a "one song a day" mentality. Set limits on what you'll use (no drums / one synth / no effects / all wavs), and you'll learn more.

I liked Sonic Academy (www.sonicacademy.com) as they have more stylistic variety than anything else I've tried. What's more important than learning the technology is learning to write music, though. Learn to write hooks, then all of the style and tech stuff will be more useful. Pay special attention to Dogen's first suggestion - every musician needs to do this more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

People have mentioned Tom Cosm. Tom Cosm is great. I have bought both sets of his DVDs and they are definitely worth going through. However, I find Mr Bill's videos to be the best thing out there for fast quick explanations of techniques. Tom's Stuff is great, but I can only digest stuff in small chunks. Mr Bill breaks every idea down so that you can learn it in a short period of time. Check out his vids:

http://mrbillstunes.com/tuition/video-tutorials/

What drew my attention to his vids was the Skrillex recreation video. I'm not a big fan of Skrillex, but Mr Bill is the only person I've heard who has done it properly. Give his creation a listen because it's dead on!

Wow, really good stuff here guys, thanks!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”