Silent Way / MS-20 / Sonar 8 - Problem

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonar 8 - Silent Way - MS-20 - Using Y-cables (TS only)

Audio Track:
VoiceController_vsti
Input Source: #5 (the signal coming from MS-20's audio output)
Output: #3 & #4 (going out to the FREQ jack which is v/oct, and TRIG in)
Input Monitoring is ON

MIDI Track:
Input: Midi Keyboard
Output: going to the vsti

2nd Audio Track:
Input: #5 (audio output from Synth)
Output: #1 & #2

Gate on Silent Way: Gate Open 0 Gate Closed 1

RESULT:

1) V/oct calibration seems to work fine (used one osc on ramp wave no modulation) and it goes all the way up the scale.

2) when i play on the midi keyboard or from Sonar's sequencer i get accurate pitch/tones for sometimes 5 or 7 notes in a row, sometimes an octave, but that same octave is repeated for every octave. in other words, i play from C thru B and its fine, but then the next C up is the same note as that of the C in the octave below it.

I have also tried putting the TRIG output of the soundcard into the Init Gain jack with similar results.

I tried the HZ/V calibration using the MS-20's CV and TRIG inputs and got worse results, tho i will try to get that rolling too.

I was wondering if i need to use the SW VST (and not VSTi) once its calibrated (based on other posts i've seen), or something else along those lines.

Thanks for any input you can offer!
-SFC (Former Volta and Kenton user) :D

EDIT: getting similar results with my SH-101 (calibration seems to work, then notes are all screwy when playing the kybd)
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

What's the audio interface?

Hi Os, thanks for the response...It's a MOTU Traveler, first version.
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

The Traveller only gives you about 3V, which is probably not enough to get a decent range from a Hz/V synth.

Can you post screenshots of the calibration curves?

Hi Os,

Well, i'm trying to use the FREQ-input on the MS-20 as i understand it's V/Oct

Here are two screenshots, one with v/oct and other with hz/v.

v/oct - http://maximillionband.com/graphics/v-oct.gif

hz/v - http://maximillionband.com/graphics/hz-v.gif

I am ok with a soldering iron if there's some biasing or other device i need to construct.

Thanks for the help...
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

Looks like you're only getting a response for positive voltages. In the Voice Controller's Output Matrix, set the scale and offset on the pitch channel to 0.5, and then try calibration again.

Ok, went to 'output matrix' and assigned first two pots to .5 (is that what you were suggesting?)

Here's the calibration - (v/oct using FREQ input on MS-20)

http://maximillionband.com/graphics/v-oct--2.jpg

still not playing correctly for me.
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

Yes, those are the right settings. The calibration is not good though. What waveform on the synth are you using? What filter settings? You want to aim for something as plain as possible. A triangle wave usually works well, no filtering (certainly no resonance), just one oscillator in the mix, etc.

OK, i killed any resonance, put it on only one osc with a tri wave, opened filters all the way up. (also tried various filter, waveform and vol settings)

the calibration tones sound much more distinct now and even up the scale, but its not even drawing a calibration line, and only plays one note up and down the keyboard when done.

Sorry this one's not an easy one, Os!
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

Sounds like the signal is not getting back to the Voice Controller's input properly.

whoops - sorry. i had input-monitoring off.

ok, so i see the line now.

goes from bottom to top of the window.

still getting only one note all the way up the keybd
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

Can I see it?

ok - a little breakthrough! i noticed the voice-controllers output was red-lining a bit. i eased back the output vol for it and it calibrated MUCH better - it's doing a 'slight' detune now tho when u hit the key. i will make an mp3 and post it in a minute...
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

OK,

here's the screenshot:

http://maximillionband.com/graphics/working.jpg

it seems to be working fine (the pitch problem disappeared)

i just have one remaining question:

when i use the TRIG input, the envelope does not stop playing, it's as if the 'hold time' on the envelope is cranked up and sustains forever.

I have tried adjusting all controls of the Silent way envelopes and also Envelope 2 on the MS-20, but only the 'sustain' seems to effect it, but does not have the desired effect (it kinda kills off the whole volume of the keyboard instead of changing the sustain/hold).

Any suggestions on this?

BUT! When i use the Init Gain input (next to the volume knob on the MS-20) i can use the envelopes in Silent Way, though i must admit they confuse me a little bit (seems like it's ENV #3 on Silent Way that affects the MS).

I will go thru the SW manual and try to educate myself on it better, but if you have any input on these two things, it would be appreciated.

Os - THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Once i figure out this envelope issue I'm going to do a video walk thru for other MS-20/Sonar users on this...
Sonar 8 - MS-20 - SH-101

Cool, glad it's working. Nothing to suggest on the env thing - sounds very MS-20 specific. Keep us informed.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”