VOS Density MkIII ... WOW!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lightsfadelow wrote:I keep hoping Bootsie will go native and support x64 VST. Would gladly pay for that.
this!
enroe wrote: I think most important is the sound. Independent from the format x32 or x64.
Of course the sound of a plug in is most important; but this has nothing to do with the format. I for one am working on a 64bit system and simply don't use 32bit plug ins at all, because that would be just another element of uncertainty... no matter how good JBridge is, it will never run as smooth as a 64bit plug in.

So all I (and probably others too) can do is wait until these wonderful plug ins are released in 64bit... :(

lightsfadelow wrote:I keep hoping Bootsie will go native and support x64 VST. Would gladly pay for that. If I were a native developer looking to get into the plugin game, I would certainly try to partner with Bootsie for the dsp development.
Don't count on it.

He stated once that he sees no advantage in 64bit but compatibility (ie. there's no other advantage).
IMO, he's absolutely right. as of now, there's no need for 64bit but to satisfy market needs. and as he doesn't "need" to satisfy anyone, I guess that the situation will stay put.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

The presets are brilliant, now to learn how to actually dial in the plug myself for more custom use.

compatibility IS a good enough reason for 64 bit. introducing potential instability that could have been avoided is not the way to go.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:compatibility IS a good enough reason for 64 bit. introducing potential instability that could have been avoided is not the way to go.
Well, not if YOU are programming it, for FREE :)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
Burillo wrote:compatibility IS a good enough reason for 64 bit. introducing potential instability that could have been avoided is not the way to go.
Well, not if YOU are programming it, for FREE :)
i think bootsy would gladly make the plugins 64-bit if SynthMaker/SynthEdit/whatever it is that he's using was supporting it.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

sheikh al Dudeilan wrote:Yes, it's great, I've been listening through it for the past few days and I'm stunned. Seems I'll have to read those nerdy articles on bootsie's site, as he wouldn't give us anything simpler or more meaningful. Oh well...

Regarding stateful saturation, this is from the explanation of the new LA2A emulation in Sknote's StripBUS V2:

Quinto wrote:The original hardware has a release behavior with a strong memory effect.

When some high energy signal has been processed for some seconds the sidechain saturates and gets memory effect. After a transient, the immediate release is rather fast, becoming slower after some time. A fast release phase is followed by a slow or very slow release phase, depending on the history of the input and on frequency content of the signal.
http://www.sknote.it/StripBus_HowTo.htm

This memory effect is is what Bootise calls 'stateful' behaviour. The part I put in bold, describes stateful saturation.
Last edited by jens on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Regarding stateful saturation, this is from the explanation of the new LA2A emulation in Sknote's StripBUS V2:

sheikh al Dudeilan wrote:The original hardware has a release behavior with a strong memory effect.

When some high energy signal has been processed for some seconds the sidechain saturates and gets memory effect. After a transient, the immediate release is rather fast, becoming slower after some time. A fast release phase is followed by a slow or very slow release phase, depending on the history of the input and on frequency content of the signal.
http://www.sknote.it/StripBus_HowTo.htm

This memory effect is is what Bootise calls 'stateful' behaviour. The part I put in bold, describes stateful saturation.
Thanks, jens, so not only bootsy is working with these stateful processes! I thought it was research of his own.

Gonna read up the articles on his site RIGHT NOW!!!

[You might want to edit your post, 'cause I didn't write sknote's blurb for sure!]

Whoops, fixed.

Yes, I think it's not too improbable, that Bootsie was indeed amongst the very first developers to find out in what way such memory effects are part of what makes analog hardware often being perceived as "warmer" "more organic" and "*more musical" than digital processors.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Bad thing is he doesn't like to write manuals, or release notes, for that matter.

His Nasty Delay has been updated to MKII and now includes stateful saturation + other improvements, but the manual is still about v.1.

Same goes for ThrillseekerLA - the interesting parts of the manual are left empty.

His site isn't too informative, either.

Here's hoping he will catch up with this later.

jens wrote:When some high energy signal has been processed for some seconds the sidechain saturates and gets memory effect.

this is wrong i am afraid. stateful saturation is explained a bit here:

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... aturation/

PLEASE can we stop polluting these VOS threads with why no 64bit questions!? it has all been explained 1000 times before here on KVR and on the VOS blog.

Bootsy uses a programming framework created by someone else that does not support 64bit at this time, when it does he will support it. keeping on asking will make no difference.

these plugins are AMAZING and free. the new ones (at least) all work fantastic in 64 bit reaper, and should work fine in most 64 bit hosts using jbridge or whatever. if it works it will work, it will not mean its unstable or inferior in anyway. if it doesn't then you need to use 32bit or use another host.

lets get back to talking about how we use the plugins :)

thermal wrote:
jens wrote:When some high energy signal has been processed for some seconds the sidechain saturates and gets memory effect.

this is wrong i am afraid. stateful saturation is explained a bit here:

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... aturation/

Yes, it is indeed explained on the page you linked too! ;)

"One could basically see this as a system which reacts different on the very same actual input signal depending on the recent history of events (on a very microscopical level). "

This is exactly what is going on here:

"When some high energy signal has been processed [...]
the sidechain saturates"

You see? The preceeding signal influences the way the compressor reacts afterwards. So it will indeed 'react different on the very same actual input signal depending on the recent history of events'. ;)

sheikh al Dudeilan wrote:Bad thing is he doesn't like to write manuals, or release notes, for that matter.

His Nasty Delay has been updated to MKII and now includes stateful saturation + other improvements, but the manual is still about v.1.

Same goes for ThrillseekerLA - the interesting parts of the manual are left empty.

His site isn't too informative, either.

Here's hoping he will catch up with this later.

Actually I happen to think the exact opposite - for me, Bootsie's manuals are amongst the best I ever came across.

In regards to NastyDLA, iirc, there is an addendum which explains the changes which have been made for version II. Keep in mind, that the changes are solely 'under the hood'. The sound has changed, but not the actual functionality and hence the original manual is still 100% valid.

I would have to have another look at the Thrillseeker manual to be able to make any comments in regards to it.

I did try this on the Master bus yesterday and was very pleased with the results. You're very right about the 'color' knob. This will stay as part of the Master bus setup.

Im really liking the way the timing shows up when you move the relax or Tight button, and the color dial when you move it from left to right really shows the depth of harmonics being added. I would really like to see a vintage User interface similar as well as the to the original such as an API or 670, but thats just out of personal preference. Good software, cheers Bootsie, my favorite has to be the Thrillseeker though, at first it reminded me of a certain FET compressor, but it can be really gentle and musical so its getting used on vocals and instruments rather than drums, this is where the density works its magic.

Return to “Effects”