So. How are you getting on with Tone2 Saurus...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
filter303 wrote:I have ElectraX (it's my favourite synth at the moment). But I would have to say that to my ears these two don't sound the same. I am not able to get the same kind of "vintage" tones out ElectraX that I get from Saurus.
ElectraX might have more modulators but it's easier to get a good sound out of Saurus. ElectraX also can't do unison the same way Saurus does. Anyways, I don't see a problem in having them both in my toolset ;)
Oh yes I forgot unison. I don't like unison sounds much so I forgot that. But with 4 layers, it doesn't miss stacked sounds much. Have you heard the vintage soundset for ElectraX? I think it can do vintage pretty well too, but it's easier to veer off the vintage vibe with ElectraX than Saurus I guess. I do understand what you're saying though. I like synths with limitations as well that keep the sound within a certain range.

Saurus on a mac is too annoying though. You have to click the waveform boxes one at a time to cycle through the full set of waveforms, same for any selector (filter types, lfo's). Makes it far too annoying to try different types.
Both Markus and Bastiaan had holidays recently and both were and am working on soundsets (Saurus + ElectraX), updates for ElectraX and Gladiator (out now) and also on other stuff. Anyway an update for Saurus (especially for the Mac) should be one of the things to be done.

My personal wish for the update are some simple EQ knobs like in ElectraX. Currently i am using an external EQ from time to time (not for all presets).
It's always great to have a built-in EQ as an interesting tool for sound design. I already discussed with Bastiaan about this and there are chances that something like that will be implemented at a future update.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Saurus on a mac is too annoying though. You have to click the waveform boxes one at a time to cycle through the full set of waveforms, same for any selector (filter types, lfo's). Makes it far too annoying to try different types.
You mean, you can't directly click on the LEDs that glows when something is on? and you have to click on the button to cycle through all the selections?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Saurus on a mac is too annoying though. You have to click the waveform boxes one at a time to cycle through the full set of waveforms, same for any selector (filter types, lfo's). Makes it far too annoying to try different types.
You mean, you can't directly click on the LEDs that glows when something is on? and you have to click on the button to cycle through all the selections?
Seems to be a problem with the MAc version. With the PC version it seems to work fine.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Saurus is killer, especially together with ElectraX, Gladiator and Firebird.

RiffsAndBeats wrote:Saurus is killer, especially together with ElectraX, Gladiator and Firebird.
Agreed to all that.

Be prepared for some amazing news in the near future... :D

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Saurus just got a new 'trance' soundset didn't it ? And I'm pretty sure there's another new soundset coming up very soon for it. :) Plus what Ingonator was smiling about. :hihi:

satYatunes wrote:
Exactly... and Tone2 declared it "not a bug" which to me was justification for not fixing it anytime soon (which is what has happened)... there were also a couple other odd gui behaviors on the mac too, but I forget what they are now... that and the hated demo restrictions made Saurus nothing but a frustration for me... I like some sounds I heard posted by users (some not) but I never got anything I liked myself cause the demo always timed out before I got somewhere satisfying.

pdxindy wrote:
satYatunes wrote:
Exactly... and Tone2 declared it "not a bug" which to me was justification for not fixing it anytime soon (which is what has happened)... there were also a couple other odd gui behaviors on the mac too, but I forget what they are now... that and the hated demo restrictions made Saurus nothing but a frustration for me... I like some sounds I heard posted by users (some not) but I never got anything I liked myself cause the demo always timed out before I got somewhere satisfying.
This is what drives me crazy about tone2. They'll say that something like this is "not a bug", that it's just a "feature" on the PC that is not available for the mac. Who cares what you call it though. It's something very crappy on only the mac. But this is not an inherent problem in OSX. You can't claim that OSX prevents clicking on buttons to change waveforms directly, that's absurd. It's just something in the design that they screwed up on the mac side. Having to click a button seven times to change to a waveform is not a good thing.

However the flip side of this is that although they will deny that something is a bug or even a problem, they will often fix things in updates which they previously said was technically impossible to change or that was not a problem. Very strange. I can understand not promising a fix, but implying that something doesn't need to be fixed only turns people off. The initial release of ElectraX had a couple things that really didn't seem to work right. When they said these things weren't problems and couldn't be changed, I sold it. But lo and behold, an update came along that fixed the problems. I wouldn't doubt that the issues with Saurus on hte mac will get fixed, despite the fact that they don't call it a bug.

Tone2 just released the "Dark Toxic" soundset with 140 new presets for Saurus:
http://www.tone2.com/html/dark_toxic.html

Price is 29 Euros or 39$:
http://www.tone2.com/html/shop.html

So together with the Himalaya soundset there are 4 commercial Saurus soundsets available now. Here are the links for the other three:

http://www.tone2.com/html/analog.html

http://www.tone2.com/html/top_of_the_clubs.html

http://www.electric-himalaya.com/tone2_ ... _bank.html

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:Tone2 just released the "Dark Toxic" soundset with 140 new presets for Saurus
Now that's a different kind of audio demo, doesn't sound like the usual Tone2 "fun" ones.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

core wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Tone2 just released the "Dark Toxic" soundset with 140 new presets for Saurus
Now that's a different kind of audio demo, doesn't sound like the usual Tone2 "fun" ones.
It's a pretty good dark soundset showing the darker side of Saurus.

Also , something completely different is on the way :

Taken from their twitter

https://twitter.com/Tone2Audio
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

edited
Ingo Weidner

That looks very interesting indeed! :) And talking about things coming, im really looking forward to the upcoming ElectraX 1.3. (When? When? Are we there yet?) ;-)

aren't all their GUI's starting to look alike now?
rsp
sound sculptist

I was very impressed with the new Saurus soundset. Every time a new one comes around, Saurus seems to be a different beast. Maybe should be called Chameleon, but I think that name was taken. I can't wait to play with Rayblaster.

Return to “Instruments”