Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a heads-up, on Monday, May 18th they'll be releasing Midi Guitar 2 Beta 2. I hope they fixed the volume issues.

There are definitely still issues to work out but boy is this getting close. I got in at this point because this project is so exciting and I want to support the developers. I thought I would just play around with the demo for five minutes and brush it off as a gimmick. Nope. Midi Guitar is really tracking polyphonic sounds with pretty darn good latency. My jaw almost dropped when I played it into Ample Sound ABJ and I really felt like I was playing bass. Or into ABG and I it was (for the most part) keeping up with me strumming. For the first time I felt like it might be possible to turn an electronic guitar into acoustic in real-time. I wouldn't track with Mid Guitar yet but it is getting interesting!
Sniffing corks hurts my brain

hoth wrote: For the first time I felt like it might be possible to turn an electronic guitar into acoustic in real-time. I wouldn't track with Mid Guitar yet but it is getting interesting!
Could you post solo examples?

The beta2 is out.
Just from initial test run I think it's a bit better at not skipping notes.
Truly amazing it is at this stage

Neshel, I have some nice acoustic libraries-
will post up some routines

Edit-OMG! I tried acoustic piano first and it was OK, possibly a little better than the first beta,
but I just had an absolutely electrifying experience when I plugged it into a synth. I love this thing!

Heya Neshel,
I tried to set it right and recorded Reason NN-19 nylon guitar pick strumming->
https://soundcloud.com/nix808/nylon-take

nix808 wrote:Heya Neshel,
I tried to set it right and recorded Reason NN-19 nylon guitar pick strumming->
https://soundcloud.com/nix808/nylon-take
That sounds pretty good. I think I'm going to have to buy a decent inexpensive interface to properly try this out.

I find using the neck pickup and decreasing the guitar volume until I get the sweet spot lets me play without getting the extra unwanted string vibration. A dampener like one of the guys uses in one of the demo vide probably also helps if your technique isn't as suited for playing extremely light and clean.

Here's a quick recording of the Renaxxxance nylon vst guitar. I am using a PRS 513 on the neck pickup to play this. Nothing special, just to give people an idea.

https://soundcloud.com/hoth-1/nylon-midi

Sounds pretty good, too. You can hear it clip when you try to dig in, but no wonder on that cos it's triggered.

Somehow Beta 2 has totally fouled everything up for me. The tracking is way off, more than a semitone at times. I have tried both standalone and ITB tuners so I know the two guitars I tried are fine. It also is giving me too many midi on/off signals. I'm going to try to find Beta 1 to revert to it to see if things are fixed.

ETA: I have reinstalled both versions a couple times. Now I'm on beta 2. It tracks really well for four or five seconds and then I get this loud drone sound. At that time I also see the tempo meter on my UAD Console go into the red and start running up higher faster. I wonder if there is a conflict with the UAD.

I know there are some conflicts with Roland Capture series of interfaces with their Win drivers they use (apparently, an issue within Roland).....Jam Origin is still working on a solution to this. Not sure about UAD's though.
Make music :harp:

Im very interested in midi guitar 2 beta, tried the demo and I like it a lot at least the tracking, predictability and reliability I get when playing.
Im a long time midi guitar user (vg8, vg88, gr30, vg99, gr55, axon, fishman Triple Play...) and I think we have here something really good with this software.
The problem I see are two:
With chords althoug the behavior is quite correct in general, there are sometimes notes omitted or erroneous if the chord contains closely spaced notes in the same octave or even sometimes when they are in a different octave.
But the main problem seems to be the pitchbend. Although this version 2 beta doesnt have yet implemented pitchbend, I tried it in the previous version 1 and the results are very unsatisfactory to me, so Im not sure if this would radically improve (as I recon it has done in every other aspects).
So right now at its current price am not clear if I will decide to buy it. I wonder however if there is any introductory discount price or if there are plans to do it.

MG Beta 8 is available now......this is looking better with each version. I'm patiently waiting for bend/vibrato function to be implemented......good stuff Jam O.

Sorry revive this old thread, but does anyone use MG on a MAC in Logic Pro X?

If yes, any issues with tracking, playing, latency, or other etc...?

Return to “Instruments”