Problems with Novation Impulse (help needed)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got a problem with my recently bought Novation Impulse 49 faders.
It seems that for whatever reason they'll randomly send midi data once in a while without me touching anything. Not anything dramatic, for example I set all midi faders cc at 100 and after 15 mins or something I ll get a random change at the master fader or fader 3 moving to either 99 or 101. Then I might get another minor change like that after 5 or 30 minutes, it's abstract really. This isn't normal behavior is it?
Naturally, that translates to mixer faders moving when I am working in Cubase which of course isn't welcome. But the issue is independent of Cubase or Automap as it happens with both of them closed too.
I mean, I have just left Impulse on, monitoring with MIDI-OX and I'd get a message such as:
000347D8 6 -- B0 2F 63 1 --- Control Change
which indicates the "fader movement" I described. It is seen in the Impulse screen too.

In the beginning I thought it's just the master fader (bcz its more noticeable of course) but I also seem to get this in at least two more faders (at least I have officially confirm it happening with those three until now).

I am in Win XP SP3, I updated to Impulse's latest firmware upon installing it and I've also tried to connect it to a different USB port but it would make no difference.
Is the whole unit defective? Just the faders in question? Is it a software-related issue I could fix? Any ideas?

Anyone?

Hi,

I have the Impulse 61. The problem does not happen with the faders but the mod wheel does send "random" values only when it's set just over half way. Otherwise, I don't notice it.

So I'm not sure if this is a firmware bug or a hardware / build quality problem. The best thing to do would be contact Novation support. I haven't got around to doing that myself as it's not a major problem, but would love to know the answer if you find out.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Actually I've recently noticed the mod wheel thing too, it's frustrating.
But yeah my main concern is the faders. I am in contact with Novation support, that's where they've told me to test with Midi-ox, I have updated them with the results.
What I wonder is whether it's a bug/firmware/device problem that apparently others haven't noticed/haven't been able to reproduce/doesn't bother them or it is my own unit that it's defective.

What I wonder is whether it's a bug/firmware/device problem that apparently others haven't noticed/haven't been able to reproduce/doesn't bother them or it is my own unit that it's defective.
After the previous post I did some testing. The mod wheel problem is most likely to occur at around a value of 122 - 125, and also near 80. Lower values don't seem to cause a problem, so it's likely position related.

The faders are not causing a problem here - set to 100 and have not changed in 2 hours. That would suggest it is hardware related.

Automap 4.4.0 installed, host is Logic.

So for me it's only a problem under certain circumstances, and I can live with that. If I was using the faders for critical mixing and this happened I'd probably not be too happy!

Peace,
Andy.

So it's not like you (or anyone else for that matter) ever getting a sort of "loose" grip in faders resulting in a fader "losing balance" and not being able to maintain its position at 100 (usually) some seconds after you move it or well later (5,30,60 mins) getting to 99 or 101?
I am curious whether that's just a weakness of Impulse in which case I'd be labelled "too demanding" or something, a software/firmware/windows/whatever problem I could fix or it's just my luck getting a defective unit in which case I'll have no choice but to return it...

I am curious whether that's just a weakness of Impulse in which case I'd be labelled "too demanding" or something, a software/firmware/windows/whatever problem I could fix or it's just my luck getting a defective unit in which case I'll have no choice but to return it...
That is the question, but I don't have an answer. I did search online for more info about the problem once before, but have not found any relevant discussions.

That could mean very few people are experiencing the problem, suggesting a hardware fault of some kind. I think at this stage the only people who can help are Novation support.

Regarding the mix faders, I don't use them enough to know if the random values are being transmitted with regular use. Like I said above, a quick test and they seem to work OK - holding the correct values. Tested again now since I'm working in Logic and same thing - seems OK.

With the mod wheel I definitely notice the problem immediately after using the mouse to adjust a control that is assigned to the mod wheel, but only if the mod wheel on the Impulse is left in certain positions.

Peace,
Andy.

Thanks for your input mate, problem persists and it's been killing me...
If only Novation's Support cared to reply with something more than a reply per week (which doesn't really solve anything) I'd maybe have my problems solved by now. But boy, they are slow/unresponsive... I chose not to believe the bad reputation it gets (in here too) and trust them, purchasing Impulse with all the good faith in the world but apparently I was wrong....

Hi again.

Today I noticed something that might be significant in this puzzle of random values being transmitted from the Impulse faders. Perhaps you can confirm this behaviour.

I've been testing Alchemy in Studio One v2 on OS X Lion (10.7). The Impulse 61 is connected via USB with Automap v4.40 installed, but it's not configured properly because this partition is for quick n dirty testing using the MIDI keys and MIDI CC messages only.

The fader values started jumping about as you described, which I have never noticed before - but I normally use Logic on a different partition, which is configured properly to use Automap.

When I configured Studio One v2 to use Automap (following the setup instructions built in to the Automap software) the jumping fader values stopped immediately, and have not occurred again since.

So this problem might be related to some kind of MIDI / MMC control feedback loop when the host software / automap is not setup correctly. That would be good, because it's a software / firmware / configuration problem rather than a hardware fault.

The mod wheel problem I described is still happening, and I think that is almost certainly a hardware issue - as if it's possible to set the mod wheel to 123.5, at which point it can't decide if 122 or 123 is the correct value.

Anyway, would be interesting to know if you can confirm these results when the host is configured to use the correct Automap ports for each function (HUI control / MIDI input).

Peace,
Andy.

Thanks a lot for trying to help in all this, you have been nothing but helpful all along. I have PMed you so you could maybe provide some additional details.

Hello, I am facing almost the same issue. I have an impulse 25 which only has 1 fader. The fader is constantly changing values, for example glitching between +/- 1 the expected value. This happens at any fader position. The problem also exists if the keyboard is not connected to a computer (powered with a USB outlet). Novation support has not come with a solution yet. I have the latest firmware installed #682, which I think it is still beta today.

Were you able to solve your problem?

Thanks

Hello, 1st forgive me about my English :), if u still have the faders problem in ur midi keyboard , I have the same one with 61 key with the same problem , i noticed that when i use the drum pads or knock hard on the keyboard (Faders area) the faders start to send unknown midi signals or sometimes it stop and the value become right (0-127) , today i did something new i set all faders to 0 and flip the keyboard toward me 90 degree and i knocked above the faders the value started to change down by every knock to 0. in my case not only 1 or 2 faders are changing values the all faders are changing so fast like crazy.

so i decided to open the keyboard to see if something lose or to clean the faders.

- there is 12 big black screws or less on ur keyboard size don't remove them it hold the main white and black keys. u need only to remove the cover.

- remove all other screws, when u do that gently remove the black cover that holds the Faders and encoders and all that interface ,just be carefull of the cables.

really i did not do anything or even clean the Faders. what i did i removed the 2 pitch and Mod Cables they are short to help me open it wide, then the white cable of the Faders from the board and removed the all screws that holds the Faders board.
after that i wanted to test it so i plugged the Faders Cable to the board again and plugged the USB cable to power on the keyboard and it seems to be that nothing wrong at all the faders working fine i knocked on the Faders and nothing changes works great i but it back in place and it working very fine now, mybe was something wrong with the cables or something no explanation but im so happy that its working now, if u cant open it ur self just make someone know how to open things and but them back together again, hope that can fix ur problem. 3 days now and it working fine

There was a firmware update for the Impulse keyboards recently that fixes this problem ...

It's installed with an Automap update.

that firmware I update it long time it's not a firmware problem in my case, I just did that 3 days ago and it's working now

Neo1st wrote:that firmware I update it long time it's not a firmware problem in my case, I just did that 3 days ago and it's working now
:tu:

Thanks for posting!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”