BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Fannon wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:29 pm Nice to hear you're still working on it!

Speaking of ideas: Would it be a possibility to make Bluearp MPE ready?
The issue currently is that it outputs everything in one (chosen) channel. But for MPE, the input note and the resulting arpeggiated output notes would need to be kept in the same channel. And then some of the MIDI CC messages (global or per-note / per-channel) properly passed on.

For example the Bitwig Arpeggiator get's this right.
Not in this release, maybe somewhere in the next ones. I heard of MPE and that some modern controllers have extra layers of expression with this thing, but didn't dive deep into that. If you can describe in more musical terms what you'd like to do it will help.

BlueARP v2.5.0 released, both Windows and OSX
https://omg-instruments.com/wp/?page_id=46
This is a big update, main features are:
1. new DRUM SEQUENCER mode. Made mostly for the hardware (where I missed it a lot), but in a DAW may be useful as well, cause it has some randomization and probability stuff, and drum patterns can be incorporated into chains, with the same workflow
2. Chain variations. Basically sub-chains within a chain, that can be triggered by various conditions - chord, pressed key, number of pressed keys.

Demonstration video with FL Studio project attached:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVV20uZQSaI

PS. This version may still have some bugs cause it has a LOT of changes under the hood, so please be careful if you have lots of projects, test it first. I did a lot of tests and all the basics work, but still I could miss some issues. Later I hope to make a more detailed video explaining new features and what's changed.

Thanks for the huge efforts 🙏 glad to see it posted here.

Excerpt from the Change Log:
1. Added DRUM MODE, where BlueARP acts as a drum sequencer with few extra options like 'trigger probability'
and 'dynamics'
2. Removed coarse/fine velocity option, now it is is only five velocity, but there's
an option to quantize values if you want it like the old way
3. Removed sustain msg = 'sustain' option, it was confusing and musically useless
4. Added 'notes off' button, which clears output note buffer and sends 'All notes Off' MIDI message
5. Program can be changed my dragging program number label '01 / 128' with a mouse or wheel,
also it can be automated like ano other control
6. Right click on program number '01 / 128' gives the same menu options (like Copy, Paste, etc.),
but faster (no need to dive into MENU -> Program)
7. Right click on chain number gives the same menu options for chain (like Copy, Paste, etc.),
but faster (no need to dive into MENU -> Program)
8. Reworked right-click menu for all other params. Except 'Reset' and 'Press MIDI key', right-click
menu now contains value selection. For params like gate % will large number ov values, you have
selectable options like 10%, 20%, 30% etc.
9. All param boxes now have left and right arrows (instead of drop-down for some), you can still select
value from the list via right click. So now instead of pressing the down arrow, you right-click and select
the value. For params with 30+ values like gate, a coarse selecion is available (like 10%, 20%, 30%, etc.).
10. Mouse wheel adjustment works equally for all values, scroll up to increase and down to decrease
(old logic - for params with menus - scroll down to decrease)
11. For automation and bank data structure, step lanes were rearranged in natural order as they apper in the GUI,
from bottom to top. So if you automated any of step-related params, you may need to re-automate them
(sorry, I had to do this to prevent further potential problems)
12. 'Cut' option for Chain and Program replaced with 'Duplicate'. Duplicate creates copy of the current
Program or Chain, shifting the rest to the right.
13. 'OMG: DrakBlue' skin is now default (hardcoded into BlueARP), old default skin moved to skins.ini and
now called 'OMG: LegacyBlue'
14. Right-Click for VST3 behaves like for VST2, it shows BlueARP's popup menu, but it is still possible
to call popup menu from Host by choosing option 'VST3 popup menu' (old logic - popup menu from host).
This is more convenient imho for heavy usage, cause most of the time you will use popup menu to set values
and only rarely - to automate controls etc (which can be done via VST3 popup menu).
Note: not all host implement this so nothing may happen, but FL Studio implements it, for example
15. Now BlueARP VST3 works as an insert effect in Samplitude Pro X8 (tested in v19.1.1), VST2 didn't have
this problem and works as well
16. Added slower sync options - '1/2' and '1 bar'

PS. I still have some things to do in mind, but now I decided to release it rather than waiting for another month. Moreover, I have problems renewing my Apple dev subscription and I'm not sure I can compile and sign OSX version again soon (since it expires in a few days).

The main GUI change that can be counter-intuitive: now all value boxes have just left and right arrows, no drop-down arrows to open the menu. But you can still call those menus via right-click. And as someone asked before - now you can right-click on program or chain to copy\paste programs and chains, to shorten menu diving time.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

hi Oleg,
big thank for this update!! The Drum Mode is a brillant addition. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have one request: please make den notematrix in the drumlanes polyphonic.
Example: that you can define snare, claps, rim in the snare lane and trigger them at the same step. Same for tom, hihat
Maybe the lanes renameble?
Then BA is perfect :party:
The good old 80s never come back
a old FLStudio nerd

ZXOxo67 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:45 am hi Oleg,
big thank for this update!! The Drum Mode is a brillant addition. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have one request: please make den notematrix in the drumlanes polyphonic.
Example: that you can define snare, claps, rim in the snare lane and trigger them at the same step. Same for tom, hihat
Maybe the lanes renameble?
Then BA is perfect :party:
Here I'm a bit limited by the hardware, cause I yet have to port all these changes to BlueARP DM, and memory is the main limitation there. Now each drum lane step is stored as 1 byte, 5 bits for velocity, 3 bits for sound selection. With 3 bits - up to 8 sounds per lane, but extra values go to Tie, Rnd and Off values. You can still trigger different lanes together, but not 2 sounds on the same lane.
There are technical options like make it max 3 sounds which can be triggered at once, but no Tie and Rnd option then. I will keep this in mind, but to finally decide I need to use it for a while myself and get a better feel on how it works in a musical context.
And I will wait for the feedback from people like you, which I also always consider, so thanks for the suggestions.

Is it possible to trigger multiple notes (ie triplets) from a single step?

When witching from arpeggiator to drum sequencer and back to arpeggiator, the presets dissapear.

maxym.srpl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:12 am Is it possible to trigger multiple notes (ie triplets) from a single step?
Please clarify. Do you meah ratcheting? It is when I have say 1/16 sync and each of my steps is either 1/16 note or muted, but for some steps I want either two 1/32 notes or three 1/48 notes? Currently, not supported, but I had some requests like this and I was thinking about extending GATE TIME lane with a new mode (in addition to CHANNEL mode) which will allow to do this for the selected steps, so probably somewhere in the future updates. In the drum mode - it will be more tricky, now sure if I can do this.
PS. I'm not considering options like adding new LANE cause I will have to implement the same for the hardware BlueARP and two main limitations there are memory and GUI space.

Omnifold wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:54 am When witching from arpeggiator to drum sequencer and back to arpeggiator, the presets dissapear.
It is as designed, cause banks are slightly different, but I think I need to create some warning dialog about this with the next update, so people won't be confused about this.

BertTRP wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:55 am Hi,
Is there any chance to know if substituting the multiple layers drop-down menu for the CuProgram parameter could potentially be implemented in the future in order to allow better usage in Ableton?
See this post for the details:
viewtopic.php?p=8707311#p8707311
Thank you in advance!
I thought it worked. But anyway - just tested v2.5.0 in FL - CurProgram parameter changes the program when automated (in addition to program change message which you can use as well). You can also drag program number box up and down and it will change the program as well.
So I think it should work in Ableton, just the same way you automate other parameters. I tested both VST2 and VST3 version of BlueARP.

Note for Samplitude users - BlueARP v.2.5.0 VST3 version should now work as in insert MIDI effect in Samplitude Pro X8, I was contacted by development team and they helped me to fix it. Check the manual on how to insert it as a MIDI effect (VST2 version didn't have this problem and works as before).

Thanks so much much, Oleg, for this amazing update! The Drum Sequencer is a very welcome addition indeed! :tu:
graywolf2004 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:27 pm The main GUI change that can be counter-intuitive: now all value boxes have just left and right arrows, no drop-down arrows to open the menu. But you can still call those menus via right-click. And as someone asked before - now you can right-click on program or chain to copy\paste programs and chains, to shorten menu diving time.
Yeah, I must admit that I find it less intuitive now. For example, when I right-click on the skins menu, only 7 skins are shown (out of, probably, 20), so I have to navigate to the others using the arrow buttons (without knowing which direction I must go to find a certain skin). This can be quite tedious.

Question/suggestion: Workflow-wise (for live situations), wouldn't it be more convenient to have a drum lane solo button placed in the lane itself (see picture attached)?

BlueARP.png

Again, thanks so much! What a wonderful plug-in BlueARP is! :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:35 am
Omnifold wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:54 am When witching from arpeggiator to drum sequencer and back to arpeggiator, the presets dissapear.
It is as designed, cause banks are slightly different, but I think I need to create some warning dialog about this with the next update, so people won't be confused about this.
Could you have it load both, this way you won't lose work that you have done.

Return to “Instruments”