Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's frustrating. I just thought 9 would be 8.4 + It's like 8.4 - + - half a plus - - :shrug:

OK so, I'm upgrading.

$200 is a fair upgrade price for what we are getting. I just took time and made sure everything was working. My findings: 0 crashes, all the live packs installed OK (I had to redownload the entire set to be sure - but freedownloadmanager lite FTW there).

I'm moderately impressed with the factory content in the new library. As an owner of EIC2 it's not /as/ impressive, but the new packs they included in addition to the orchestral sampled instruments are very nice add. I think it's worth the $200 early adopter price. I think Live 9 suite has the best factory content so far of any of my hosts.

My hunch is that Ableton is trying very hard and will address the latency automation issue soon after the release, or in the next version (ESPECIALLY if bitwig has no such problems they wont have a choice but to fix it).

M4L devices load a lot faster in v9, like by leaps and bounds over the old.

I have mixed feelings about the browser, but I'm getting on with it. It's not so bad if you add folders in custom places on the left side, but it still could be a lot better. For now, it's a nice improvement. I can tell you my workflow is much faster with the new browser, I'm not sure why but I think the auto-closing folders and one-folder open at a time is making me much faster finding things. I'm skeptical about the search requirements to find things from the master folder locations but they are pretty fast response times when I do search.

In all, I think this is the beginning of what will eventually be the totality of v9 and for $200 it's a no brainer decision. Considering what will transpire in competition between bitwig and Ableton when they go head to head I feel like $100 is for just staying a customer and the other $100 is for a ticket to a DAW steel cage match :)

grymmjack wrote: M4L devices load a lot faster in v9, like by leaps and bounds over the old.
This was a nice surprise, just came about with the last max beta release. Everything does load almost instantly now for me except the reverb, which still takes a minute

Is that minute using 32bit Live?
I just tried adding Convolution Reverb to a track and it took about 5 seconds.

It was 64bit. Theres an open topic in the beta forums, seems like all of us have the same system setup (which is way more than enough to handle anything) and the same problem of only the reverb taking a minute or more

grymmjack wrote:OK so, I'm upgrading.

$200 is a fair upgrade price for what we are getting.
I agree. Especially if you don't own Max for Live but you own the suite. Not bad at all.
I'm moderately impressed with the factory content in the new library. As an owner of EIC2 it's not /as/ impressive, but the new packs they included in addition to the orchestral sampled instruments are very nice add. I think it's worth the $200 early adopter price. I think Live 9 suite has the best factory content so far of any of my hosts.
I agree as far as drum kits and drum sounds. For once they've actually got a useful collection of percussion and drum sounds, which I'll probably use as much or more than my own drum samples. The extra packs you get aren't too bad either, like the guitars, pianos, keys etc. I typically find their sampler/simpler presets absolutely horrible though and operator presets not much better.
My hunch is that Ableton is trying very hard and will address the latency automation issue soon after the release, or in the next version (ESPECIALLY if bitwig has no such problems they wont have a choice but to fix it).
Can't say I agree there. Don't expect to see the latency compensation issues with automation or rhthmic plug-ins fixed any time soon. I would bet on this not being address within V9 at all.

i have a very slow internet connection. how many gig download is Live Suite 9 with everything included?

thanks
"It dreamed itself along"

I think its ~55gb

ezelkow1 wrote:I think its ~55gb
download 55 gb or installed 55 gb?

as of 12:24pm EST ableton.com is dowN!!! ;) not suprised. looking forward to dl on next tuesday ;P

mellotronaut wrote:
Both are around the same

ezelkow1 wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
Both are around the same
thank you very much! :)

Yeah, gateway 504 error here

hibidy wrote:Yeah, gateway 504 error here
same here

I tried disabling adblock, no help. I tried different browser, no help. I don't know if they did anything to 9.01 vs my beta but it's kinda lame (though kinda expected :lol: )

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”