Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

delete-me
Last edited by phazedown on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deastman wrote:I've mentioned this a few times before, but I used to work in QA at Apple many years ago. At the time, I remember them releasing a new Mac with over 500 open bugs remaining in the tracker. The bottom line is that products have to make it to market within a reasonable amount of time, even if they are somewhat flawed.
Similar here (only I had a technology support role rather than software or QA), only in the marine electronics industry. They would never eradicate all bugs in firmware before pushing it out, they just did the best job possible to get something new onto the market and would then clean up as many of the remaining bugs as possible in future updates.

It's just not practical to expect something extrememly complicated that undergoes constant development to make it to market in perfect, bug free condition.

andrelafosse wrote: Buggy automation? OK, that's clearly a problem. Can someone elaborate on how/where that shows up?

New browser? I understand some people like it and some people don't. That's not a bug, that's a new design angle that some people don't like. Is there an actual bug with it? I couldn't find more info on that. Hence my asking for some elaboration.
For the buggy automation ask hibidy, he's had some issues. Theres also beta reports of automation not working correctly at low BPM's since it appears automation is dependent on tempo in some instances and so it updates incredibly slowly (i.e. you get stepping on automation). Plus the long standing PDC issue

For the browser, you still have no way to just browse your hdd or to any random location you want, everything has to be indexed into their database. That indexing does not take into account changes made to locations while ableton was closed. So say you download some sample pack and extract it into your samples location then fire up ableton, you wont be able to see it. Plus there are race conditions on creation/renaming of new folders/presets/etc that cause error dialogs in some cases. Those are the major issues i have with the browser as of now

For the smart snap, I actually like it, but with all the complaints I guess i must be one of the few

The official launch of Live 9 and Push is tonight at the Apple Store Regent St London.

Anybody going? I'm only a mile away. Might go 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:The official launch of Live 9 and Push is tonight at the Apple Store Regent St London.

Anybody going? I'm only a mile away. Might go 8)
I would totally go if I could!

dw

ezelkow1 wrote:
For the buggy automation ask hibidy, he's had some issues.
For the record, that's not me. Someone else was talking about that. I'm a very basic live user and don't even pretend to be an expert on 9. But I'm afraid of it. W/o another listing of what has ailed me, it doesn't feel like a finished product. It also doesn't feel like ableton seems to be in any rush to get the stuff addressed AND let's face it, many are going to go through some real growing pains with packs, indexing, and the known bugs.

ezelkow1 wrote:
andrelafosse wrote: Buggy automation? OK, that's clearly a problem. Can someone elaborate on how/where that shows up?

New browser? I understand some people like it and some people don't. That's not a bug, that's a new design angle that some people don't like. Is there an actual bug with it? I couldn't find more info on that. Hence my asking for some elaboration.
For the buggy automation ask hibidy, he's had some issues. Theres also beta reports of automation not working correctly at low BPM's since it appears automation is dependent on tempo in some instances and so it updates incredibly slowly (i.e. you get stepping on automation). Plus the long standing PDC issue

The long standing PDC issue is not a bug... It is a feature request

hibidy wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:
For the buggy automation ask hibidy, he's had some issues.
For the record, that's not me. Someone else was talking about that.
Oh whoops, thought that was you. Either way theres a bunch of automation issues up on the beta forums

Thanks for all of the info, guys.

pdxindy wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:

The long standing PDC issue is not a bug... It is a feature request
It's pretty lame though. I mean, it doesn't really stand to reason that that a live/tempo based tool would still have that. That being said, I'm of the "it will never be fixed" school.

Went to the Ableton 9 demo at the Regent St Apple store tonight. I have to say, I am tempted to get Live 9, as the audio to midi feature will be a massive help to my workflow.

I often forget my ideas as I load up my Synths/Drum machines etc. Humming my ideas into a mic and then find the sound I want.

I am not entirely convinced by Push yet though.

I am wondering about that Audio to Midi. I am thinking of upgrading to Melodyne Editor since Studio One allows ARA and it would really improve my workflow, but wonder if Ableton 9 could solve those kind of issues....
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

schnapsglas wrote:I am wondering about that Audio to Midi. I am thinking of upgrading to Melodyne Editor since Studio One allows ARA and it would really improve my workflow, but wonder if Ableton 9 could solve those kind of issues....
I have to say the audio to midi feature seems like fantastic idea, just for the speed. Just seeing how quickly you can turn tapping a beat on a table, or humming a bassline into a workable song was pretty inspiring.

I never really got into Live 8, but I think I will make the transition to 9 just for this feature alone.

CPCompany wrote:
schnapsglas wrote:I am wondering about that Audio to Midi. I am thinking of upgrading to Melodyne Editor since Studio One allows ARA and it would really improve my workflow, but wonder if Ableton 9 could solve those kind of issues....
I have to say the audio to midi feature seems like fantastic idea, just for the speed. Just seeing how quickly you can turn tapping a beat on a table, or humming a bassline into a workable song was pretty inspiring.

I never really got into Live 8, but I think I will make the transition to 9 just for this feature alone.
Would you say it would be better suited for those things than Melodyne?
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

That they did it at an apple store already shows complete bias to me.

:P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”