Tone2 Rayblaster: OUT NOW! (demo version available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RayBlaster

-----
Last edited by Igro on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IMHO it needs more circuit modeling. And they should use some antialiasing on the fonts in the video.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

I am a huge fan of Tone2 products (I currently have four of them). Like anything else in this world they are far from perfect but I can still honestly say that ElectraX is one of my favourite synths. what I like about Tone2 stuff is that they are usually very different from the competition with all kind of new and creative features. All of them can do stuff I can't make with anything else I have in my arsenal. It seems to me that Rayblaster is no an exception. I really liked the video and the idea that this synth is based on.

That said I have to express my feelings about a few things. I really hope I manage to do this in a constructive manner as I am not looking to start another "tone 2 vs..." fight.

In my opinion it's not the best way of doing business to release new products with this kind of pace while the existing product line needs some work too.
Saurus was released in the last april and it's still in the v1.0 with some very annoying GUI bugs. Wouldn't it be wiser to fix what is broken with the existing products before releasing a new synth?
ElectraX could also use some browser improvements as well. Anyone tried making large amount of patches with EX? The way EX remembers the last used folders is not exactly what I would call user friendly.

It would be so cool to see stuff from Saurus and Rayblaster added into their flagship synth ElectraX instead of having them to buy those as a separate products. With this pace I have 20 Tone2 synths in my VSTi folder within a few years :)

Also what's up with this "2 lfo's" restrictions most vsti's seem to have? It's always such a disappointment for me to see a good sounding product that lacks in the modulation department. It's funny that stuff like Andromeda or Matrix still beat most of the vsti's when it comes to modulation.

Tone2 is quickly becoming the "Cockos of vsti's"; good product(s) but too much new stuff without perfecting what is old. As much as I am addicted to Tone2 synthesizers this kind of development leaves a bad taste into my mouth, no matter how good the new products might be. As a paying customer I would like to see the products I have bought working properly first before I shell any money into new toys.

there's nothing wrong with new releases; what i want first & foremost from ANY company i buy products from....that they SURVIVE. without new products, new sales...where would these businesses be?

electrax can use some help, saurus as well. but both WORK, and i can make music with them now.
and there are new soundsets coming from tone2 all the time, so...lots to keep busy with.

all i want to do, at the end of the day, is make music. without intrusions. crashes. mysterious GUIs. bottlenecks.
i can do that with these plugins, and am looking forward to putting rayblaster thru a torturous afternoon...

This synth looks veryyyyyy interesting, new concept - new sounds? Very promising :tu:

The video looks also interesting, but on 1:50... what does our eyes see? New stuff for a next loooooong topic? :wink: :D

Sendy wrote:I actually really liked the "vomit enducing" sounds in the video, but then I'm weird :hihi: (edit: Until we got into generic dubstep territory)
Maybe I posted a bit too quickly. My point was that the video effectively put me off investigating this synth more. I'm all for new approaches in synths; that's why I clicked on the video to check it out. It could well be that it's capable of great sounds but to me the video doesn't showcase that and the weird sound-effect on the voice makes me wonder about the sense of judgement of this company. It was more meant as constructive criticism.

fisherKing wrote:there's nothing wrong with new releases; what i want first & foremost from ANY company i buy products from....that they SURVIVE. without new products, new sales...where would these businesses be?
ie I'm alright with it therefore everyone else has "nothing" to complain about.

I've held off buying from Tone2 since I realised that Firebird, Warmverb (ie every user preset loses it's name on reload) , Bifilter, Filterbank3 will never get any significant updates and Gladiator with it's infuriating way of making you search for the user folder every f**king time, it's stupid way of dealing with 3rd party banks and the completely ramshackle arrangement of presets (ie just thrown in there, not even in alphabetical order) will never see any of that stuff fixed.

I, again, love the sound of Tone's stuff, think Bastiaan is top-notch in his support but there's a lack of coherence with their releases - if you're happy with WYSIWYG then great and if they're bringing in the customers and money then awesome, but with so much stuff out there ie Zebra having a clear roadmap and new features added, it makes me reluctant to spend with Tone2.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Igro wrote:HIGH END SOUND!!! :lol: :roll: Considering they previous synths, that are quite low-end, I don't believe this statement finally can applied to this new synth.
What's "low-end" sounding about them?

I think Tone2 stuff is great overall. This one looks very interesting. The buzzwords "Pleasant Loud Fat ..." are a bit off-turning but whatever, will still check it out. Had good experiences with these guys and very friendly email support. So much awesome stuff we got this year!
Cowbells!

dalor wrote:I think Tone2 stuff is great overall.
+1

I really like Saurus, and I think RayBlaster is going to be great

dalor wrote: "Pleasant Loud Fat ..."
:lol: .. I started laughing when that appeared in the video... took it less seriously afterwards.. but yeah, still worth giving a try when it comes out. :)

3ee wrote:
:lol: .. I started laughing when that appeared in the video... took it less seriously afterwards.. but yeah, still worth giving a try when it comes out. :)
Yep, it makes it sound like "YOU MUST LOVE THIS SYNTH BECAUSE WE TICK ALL THE BOXES" :) Only because I own some Tone2 stuff and know how great they are, I can overlook this. I don't know why they are trying so hard to insert buzzwords when it's not necessary because their stuff IS great and speaks for itself IMO.
Cowbells!

re_mute wrote:
fisherKing wrote:there's nothing wrong with new releases; what i want first & foremost from ANY company i buy products from....that they SURVIVE. without new products, new sales...where would these businesses be?
ie I'm alright with it therefore everyone else has "nothing" to complain about.

I've held off buying from Tone2 since I realised that Firebird, Warmverb (ie every user preset loses it's name on reload) , Bifilter, Filterbank3 will never get any significant updates and Gladiator with it's infuriating way of making you search for the user folder every f**king time, it's stupid way of dealing with 3rd party banks and the completely ramshackle arrangement of presets (ie just thrown in there, not even in alphabetical order) will never see any of that stuff fixed.

I, again, love the sound of Tone's stuff, think Bastiaan is top-notch in his support but there's a lack of coherence with their releases - if you're happy with WYSIWYG then great and if they're bringing in the customers and money then awesome, but with so much stuff out there ie Zebra having a clear roadmap and new features added, it makes me reluctant to spend with Tone2.
not arguing with you, just expressing my viewpoint. there IS NO 'ie'...i said exactly what i meant, and your interpretation is WAY OFF...

also, i NEVER have any issues with gladiator finding it's user folder (am on a mac)...

3ee wrote:
Yeah, I'm just kind of pretending the video never happened; I'm saving my last shred of goodwill toward Tone2 for the demo, I'm not going to spend that shred on their marketing attempts... :lol:

How's the quality of Tone2 synths in general?

Seems they release new synths fairly frequently. How do they measure in terms of aliasing and overall sound quality versus cpu performance?
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “Instruments”