Which of these would you buy for your limiting amp needs

IK White
45%
Ni VCA2A
55%

Total votes: 82

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, now that you guys have turned this back into your which 1176 thread, the Softube FET was originally $300 or $400, but could be had recently for as little as $50 as a third of the smaller bundle.

I did find an answer from them on GS from about four years ago, answering bmaniac about the 6176, but it was pretty vague. This whole 1176 emu thing sure has become controversial.

Back to LA2 and VC: this has probably already been stated but I didn't get it. Only Komplete Ultimate 8 (is it?) includes the Vintage Compressors. I'm not likely to go that route, though.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Aiynzahev wrote: I will just repeat that FET and NI 76 according to Softube are "mostly the same. There are some minor differences, but nothing that should impact the sound in a very noticeable way"

That wouldn't indicate to me a completely different model for both plug-ins.
Of course THEY would say that. After all, they want to continue selling their FET compressor. However, I have both plugins. They sound nothing alike (disclaimer: When I think something sounds nothing alike, some people start teasing me about 'em bat ears.. so yeah, the difference might be subtle to others) and distort in very different ways when hit hard at the input.

I also know for a fact (well Softube's own words) that the FET compressor is based on the UA 6172 which sounds very different to the original Revision E blackface which I'm assuming they modeled for NI as it's the most common "good" 1176 out there. Of course there's the "blue face" as well but that one is rare and not everybody likes it. The E revision is considered the "standard".

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I dunno. Between the NI launching of the non-GR versions of some comps and some threads on a couple of forums, I'm just confused. I take a product, I check it, I either like it or don't. I'm sure there has been a time when I've "talked" myself into to something, but mostly, (except for hosts) I like most of what I've bought and even stuff I sold wasn't "shit" (I just felt is was dead weight for me personally). So my point is, w/o real-world examples of WHY (to the ears) something is that much better, I don't get it.

Sure, back when there were less choices, some of the more "expensive" plugs were really desirable. I still miss some URS plugs (which I think want more money for x64 AND I need to update iloks? no thanks) but is it THAT big a deal now?

UAD is out of the picture. I can't justify that and I've read enough people complaining about latency/hardware/software issues I don't want to take the chance.

I dunno, I just always thought if you like it, then it's prolly at the very least "good"

rasmusklump wrote:Hi,

could you mail me the preset please ?
Atm I have only other psp dynamics, but I think I will buying the Busspressor too and I could use that preset during the demotime.

Cheers
Alex
Here it is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7848241/PSP BussPressor_LA2A style (GR=4dB).psp

Of course it's not the LA2A but I hope it's in the same ballpark and useful.

EDIT: seems it is not linkable, so copy the whole line.

@midnight wrote:
TheoM wrote:You do this repeatedly. Checking through your posts, there are alot of "whoops", where you have not read the topic properly and reply inappropriately.

Why not start reading people's topics or not replying at all? It's a fairly common occurrence with you to do this. In fact, i think you are the only one here that does it so often.

Friendly advice. Cheers :)
How many "whoops" did you count while you were going through my post history?

Heh... seriously ttoz. Get some help man. You clearly have emotional issues.
No, my problem is YOU. So what would "help" is if you left KVR.

You attacked me in an 1176 topic when all i did was give my opinion that the softube was my favourite. You were NASTY, and i already got a few pm's about it from other members to apologise on your behalf and not to let you get me down.

That was all deleted by moderation so now there is no proof of the hideous thing you did.

But.. what i said above was true and i guess i knew you'd respond like a child, so i will respond in kind. I was trying to give you some advice to read people's topic's before replying. You couldn't handle even that friendly advice and decided to attack and take it on a "stoop low" personal level.

You are a nasty individual, like when you went and found someone's music in a recent topic, simply because the guy has money and is a little eccentric, and posted it publicly and tried to ridicule him in your typical midnight way.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=15

your typical not reading the topic:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

you are NASTY, and YOU are the one that has problems and needs help.

Biased but I love StripBus' 2A :D
(29.99$)

So I voted "other" :wink:

TheoM wrote:
@midnight wrote:
TheoM wrote:You do this repeatedly. Checking through your posts, there are alot of "whoops", where you have not read the topic properly and reply inappropriately.

Why not start reading people's topics or not replying at all? It's a fairly common occurrence with you to do this. In fact, i think you are the only one here that does it so often.

Friendly advice. Cheers :)
How many "whoops" did you count while you were going through my post history?

Heh... seriously ttoz. Get some help man. You clearly have emotional issues.
No, my problem is YOU. So what would "help" is if you left KVR.

You attacked me in an 1176 topic when all i did was give my opinion that the softube was my favourite. You were NASTY, and i already got a few pm's about it from other members to apologise on your behalf and not to let you get me down.

That was all deleted by moderation so now there is no proof of the hideous thing you did.

But.. what i said above was true and i guess i knew you'd respond like a child, so i will respond in kind. I was trying to give you some advice to read people's topic's before replying. You couldn't handle even that friendly advice and decided to attack and take it on a "stoop low" personal level.

You are a nasty individual, like when you went and found someone's music in a recent topic, simply because the guy has money and is a little eccentric, and posted it publicly and tried to ridicule him in your typical midnight way.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=15

your typical not reading the topic:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

you are NASTY, and YOU are the one that has problems and needs help.
:help:
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Waves CLA-2A or then NI.

IK's White 2A isn't awful, but like most of their plug-ins, I think that IK put the emphasis on the most obvious characteristics of the things they model (distortion) and fail to get into the finer details which make a fine emulation.

Their Black-76 is the most obvious example of that. If all you want is "warmth", it'll give you plenty of distortion. But if you intend to use it as a compressor, it doesn't really shine. White 2A is a bit better.

When I noticed that the manual for their Black-76 was, for a big part, copied and pasted almost as is from the Universal Audio's 1176 manual, it left me thinking that, well, if a company can cut around corners for something as simple as a manual, it may - or may not - tell something about their ethics and attention to details. Maybe it's just me.

UAD Manual: Engineers typically use "All Button" mode on drums or on ambience or room mics. It can also be used to make a bass or guitar sound "dirty" or for putting vocals "in your face." In All-Button mode (sometimes also known as "British Mode"), distortion increases radically due to a lag time on the attack of initial transients.

In All Button mode the ratio goes to somewhere between 12:1 and 20:1, and, the bias points change all over the circuit, thus changing the attack and release times as well.

IK Manual: • ALL: when the Black 76 is in this ALL mode, distortion increases radically due to a lag time on the attack of initial transients and there are constant changes in the attack and release times. Engineers typically use "All-button" mode on drums, ambience or room mics. It can also be used to "dirty up" a bass or guitar sound or to put vocals "in your face."

Waves didn't have to "borrow" from the original manual to explain what their plug-in does, so I guess it's not like it's the only way to say it.

Waves CLA Manual: The "All" setting recreates the original hardware's explosive "All-Ratio-Buttons-In" mode. This mode results in very aggressive compression with a decent amount of distortion. It's worth checking out!

Hey Theo you can get the White LA2A from NI now as a single for $60!

Funny, I kind of wanted them to make these available as singles, now they have I can't decide which would I would get and think the $114 for all three is pretty good after all!

I really don't "need" them right now but I know I will kick myself if I ever want them in the future. That's happened before when I've passed on good intro deals.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

bmanic wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote: I will just repeat that FET and NI 76 according to Softube are "mostly the same. There are some minor differences, but nothing that should impact the sound in a very noticeable way"

That wouldn't indicate to me a completely different model for both plug-ins.
Of course THEY would say that. After all, they want to continue selling their FET compressor. However, I have both plugins. They sound nothing alike (disclaimer: When I think something sounds nothing alike, some people start teasing me about 'em bat ears.. so yeah, the difference might be subtle to others) and distort in very different ways when hit hard at the input.

I also know for a fact (well Softube's own words) that the FET compressor is based on the UA 6172 which sounds very different to the original Revision E blackface which I'm assuming they modeled for NI as it's the most common "good" 1176 out there. Of course there's the "blue face" as well but that one is rare and not everybody likes it. The E revision is considered the "standard".

Cheers!
bManic
Well I prefer to trust people like that until I have a good reason not to.

You're right though in that they do sound different, here was a very good comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... t2qUO6O3fA

I wouldn't say it's night and day, more like the FET is a bit more open.

It is also VST3 with hp and lp filters and lookahead so there are still reasons to get it over NI and the price difference is not that big when you consider NI's full price of $114 or so and the FET can be had for about $160.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Wow, thanks for pointing out the IK cut and paste. I feel like I've moved on from them, other than maybe whatever this CSR update/upgrade amounts to, and possibly checking out new things they might release.

I actually like what they're doing with amplitube, and even their ios apps and accessories. I just have no current professional use for any of that. Maybe they've moved on from me? Either way, there's distance.

I made a similar transition from Nomad. I have about $150 worth of their plug-ins, almost all from AM no-brainers. Then they turn around and give people everything for $100 over what your already have. I passed, but did add the Pultec when JRR had it on sale for $25. I hardly ever use any of that and just had to cap it. I would probably grab the Altec EQ for cheap, being the only one I don't have that I actually kind of want.

Back on topic: I'm feeling better about the NI VC intro offer which includes their LA2A (see, I got there), even though I have the IK White. If this poll is still open after I give them a run against each other, I'll vote. Until then, or if I end up skipping the NI deal, I like the McDSP models in the 6030 a lot, and more than IK.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Suspended In Dusk wrote:...I think that IK put the emphasis on the most obvious characteristics of the things they model (distortion) and fail to get into the finer details which make a fine emulation.
That's certainly true of the White 2A and Black 76, but I don't think you could say the same of their Pultec or Fairchild emulations.

Suspended In Dusk wrote:Their Black-76 is the most obvious example of that. If all you want is "warmth", it'll give you plenty of distortion. But if you intend to use it as a compressor, it doesn't really shine. White 2A is a bit better.
That's the exact opposite of how I'd describe it. The Black 76 does a very good job on getting the compression right, but falls flat as a color/distortion box. Odd that you're hearing the opposite.

Regarding the manual: are they somewhat similar? Yeah, but both describe what the All buttons mode does, and how it's commonly used. I'm not surprised it's similar.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Suspended In Dusk wrote:IK's White 2A isn't awful, but like most of their plug-ins, I think that IK put the emphasis on the most obvious characteristics of the things they model (distortion) and fail to get into the finer details which make a fine emulation.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: That's certainly true of the White 2A and Black 76, but I don't think you could say the same of their Pultec or Fairchild emulations.
That's really funny and inaccurate since it's totally vice-versa, the IK white 2a and 76 model the compression behaviour but NOT the distortion characteristics
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:
Suspended In Dusk wrote:IK's White 2A isn't awful, but like most of their plug-ins, I think that IK put the emphasis on the most obvious characteristics of the things they model (distortion) and fail to get into the finer details which make a fine emulation.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: That's certainly true of the White 2A and Black 76, but I don't think you could say the same of their Pultec or Fairchild emulations.
That's really funny and inaccurate since it's totally vice-versa, the IK white 2a and 76 model the compression behaviour but NOT the distortion characteristics
I didn't mean IK got the distortion right...I meant IK didn't nail the "finer details" in those emulations, which you can't say of the Fairchild or Pultec, where they did emulate those finer details IMO.

I realized this was confusing and was in the process of editing my post for clarity as you posted this. You just beat me to it. I agree 100%: the Black 76 and White 2A do the compression, but not the color/distortion.

quintosardo wrote:Biased but I love StripBus' 2A :D
(29.99$)

So I voted "other" :wink:
Lmaooo! Indeed!!! Nice Plug!

Return to “Effects”