Lesser known / unique DAWs and sequencers

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutools wrote:Be sure to checkout MuLab, see http://www.mutools.com/mulab-product.html

It's much deeper than one would expect at first sight!

And even more with the forthcoming MuLab 5!

any sneak peaks? :hyper:

Normally early December.

PS: If you already know your way around in MuLab and you're an experienced beta tester and can handle+report the rough edges in a test version, email me ;)

tanabarbier wrote:Well there is Usine ( http://www.sensomusic.com/usine ) that I use all the time and isn't that famous (hopefuly this will change).

I think that what is challenging at first with it is that you have to see it like something between a modular like max or PD, and a track based DAW. It has sequencer (timeline) too, so you can attack it both ways. To me it is a lot like reaper, reaper being on the "traditional DAW" side, but close to the edge, and Usine on the "modular DAW" side, but close to the edge too.
Almost a year ago I bought Usine Pro. What was I thinking? Well, I was hoping that once it was bought I would feel like really committing to learn it. And succeed. No way. And it's a shame, because I suspect that it can be a very interesting DAW... once we have a small idea about a good use for it. The current Manual is better than the previous but still far beyond cryptic.
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

usine
mulab
rax'n'trax

dave

MuLab-Reaper of course :D

decalogue wrote:
Tehnik wrote:www.renoise.com
+1

Renoise is IMO the most powerful DAW in the world in terms of "programming" music rather than "playing and recording" music. It's so cool and so addictive that I constantly have to ask myself why not more people (who like to program music) have discovered and come to enjoy this fantastic piece of software. :love:

I guess it has to do with the programming paradigm itself, i.e. that Renoise uses a tracker interface while most people are alienated from that kind of workflow.
+1 here for Renoise also.

I took the plunge and love it. Loads of fun, inexpensive, rock-solid, flexible/customizable GUI, and comes with some very decent effects. The paradigm may be different, but it is a full-fledged DAW. It's not a replacement for my Live setup, but short the built-ins it could be. You create differently using it. Solid manual and community also.

I downloaded the renoise demo and played with it a little bit.
It's something I really want to jump into and learn - but I'm in the middle of three or four projects right now..

once they are done though - I'm thinking I'm going to reformat with Linux and force renoise to be my only means of music making just to see what I can do with it..

..in other words - renoise seems awesome.. but I don't have the experience with it to make a definitive claim to it's awesomeness. :P

...............DubTurbo :hihi:

Does anyone still know (or even work with) Macaw? It is (or was) a DAW with GREAT sounding plugins, but I never got used to the awkward workflow of this DAW itself... :roll:

mutools wrote:Normally early December.

PS: If you already know your way around in MuLab and you're an experienced beta tester and can handle+report the rough edges in a test version, email me ;)
will do. thanks! :)

ENV1 wrote: Why? Because the concept Rax'N'Trax is based upon is pure ingenuity and somewhat of a dream-come-true for all who believe that the sequencer is the coolest invention of all times.
Another Rax'n'Trax fan here. It's free by the way. I use it as a sketchpad and then export the MIDI to my DAW.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Does anyone still know (or even work with) Macaw? It is (or was) a DAW with GREAT sounding plugins, but I never got used to the awkward workflow of this DAW itself... :roll:
It has been while since I mucked around with it. The workflow is a little odd but I can work with it.

http://macaw.sourceforge.net/
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I guess most everything I've used besides Reason 2.5 qualifies:
MU.LAB
Energy XT
Darkwave Studio
Chaotic
Podium (my main DAW through the last year)

When Tracktion 2 was released and the free version of Tracktion 1 was made available I used that for a couple of years. When T3 came out I was quickly disenchanted and looked for an alternative ,which is when I discovered MU.LAB (LUNA at the time...a far superior name IMO).
I'm not sure where Tracktion fits in terms of well-known or lesser-known in the scheme of things.

I learned of Rax'N'Trax a couple of months ago and it seems awesome, but its workflow is a bit too odd for me. I've watched stuff on YouTube more than a few times though. Maybe I'll try to give it a solid chance.
This is similar to how I feel in general about trackers. "Man! That looks so very cool and fun." ...then thinking about actually using it..."Ugh. Just chords alone would be a PITA." etc.

I long avoided REAPER, but I've been trying it out the past couple of weeks and it's actually not so bad. (I was under the impression it was too 'busy' and difficult to deal with, as I prefer very simple DAWs.) If I switch to Reaper, it will be the first 'big' DAW I've used since....wow...2005.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Babya Logic :)
Can't believe no one's mentioned it yet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”