Windows 7: Hate it.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's strange

I love how the "things improved in Win7" are mostly problem solving tools...

Win 7 doesn't seem too different from Vista to me. If I could find Win7 upgrade at a sane price, I'd upgrade my DAW. I thought I'd use the Win8 cheapo dealie but I can't install that without reinstalling all my software. Screw that. Your experience with Win 7 is probably more extreme because you didn't use Vista.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

digidennis wrote:windows 8 was really a pleasant surprise for me, i don't really care for the metro part of it....but audio performance is really ( really ) great, i upgraded from win 7
I did hear that they improved the audio part of it, so that's not the first time I've seen that kind of report.

Unfortunately, I'm doing less and less recording these days and primarily editing audio for video, which is less intensive. So I don't need more efficiency than I already have(which is pretty darn good still).

Brent
My host is better than your host

Jace-BeOS wrote:I love how the "things improved in Win7" are mostly problem solving tools...

Win 7 doesn't seem too different from Vista to me. If I could find Win7 upgrade at a sane price, I'd upgrade my DAW. I thought I'd use the Win8 cheapo dealie but I can't install that without reinstalling all my software. Screw that. Your experience with Win 7 is probably more extreme because you didn't use Vista.
Not sure I agree with all the new things just being problem solving tools really.

I mean, I guess you could say that any new feature is there to solve some kind of problem, be it a workflow problem or a technical one. But there are a lot of great things in Windows 7 that aren't what I would consider problem solving.

You are correct that if he had used Vista, it wouldn't be such a large jump. Vista was actually quite good after getting some updates. Windows 7 took everything that Vista did well, got rid of much of what it didn't, and built on that.

Brent

koolkeys wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I love how the "things improved in Win7" are mostly problem solving tools...

Not sure I agree with all the new things just being problem solving tools really.

I mean, I guess you could say that any new feature is there to solve some kind of problem, be it a workflow problem or a technical one. But there are a lot of great things in Windows 7 that aren't what I would consider problem solving.

You are correct that if he had used Vista, it wouldn't be such a large jump. Vista was actually quite good after getting some updates. Windows 7 took everything that Vista did well, got rid of much of what it didn't, and built on that.

Brent
All I know is that with your help Brent, I've had a spectacularly well-oiled machine for years now. Can you believe it's been three years???????????????? Wow, crazy!

Win7x64 ya awl.........yeah..........unhun........

+1,000,000 to that Hibidy

Brent has been invaluable to me this week.
I'd still be at work swearing at my computer if it were not for him :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

hibidy wrote:
koolkeys wrote:

Brent
All I know is that with your help Brent, I've had a spectacularly well-oiled machine for years now. Can you believe it's been three years???????????????? Wow, crazy!

Win7x64 ya awl.........yeah..........unhun........
Wow, you're making me feel old now. Time surely has flied, hasn't it?

Glad you're enjoying your system! Happy to have been involved! Ha!

Brent

Mushy Mushy wrote:+1,000,000 to that Hibidy

Brent has been invaluable to me this week.
I'd still be at work swearing at my computer if it were not for him :tu:
It's no problem! Appreciate the kind words.

Brent

Mushy Mushy wrote:So had my work PC rebuilt and it now has Windows 7 :x

First problem: the icons in the taskbar wider than a pregnant hippo.
How can I narrow them? I'm already using "small icons"

I hate this POS. Give me XP back any day!!!!!
I haven't read any other posts on this thread, I am just replying to your original..

Win7 is a POS.

It takes up way too much ram. It is dog slow.

Any one who loves operating systems loves winxp.

win7 gets by. But it's not good. You got good taste.

It is overloaded and over bloated. It works. In fact go x64 - the gains you get, help up to make for the slowdown.

It's a scam and a sham.

codec_spurt wrote:

I haven't read any other posts on this thread, I am just replying to your original..

Win7 is a POS.

It is overloaded and over bloated. It works. In fact go x64 - the gains you get, help up to make for the slowdown.

It's a scam and a sham.
Win 7 uses RAM intelligently - disk caching etc, it's there to be used... surely? Win XP is adequate, not going to argue that point but there is NO reason to HATE Win7 and to warn anyone away from it (this goes for Win8 as well).
If you just let it go, just forget that you hate everything made post 2001... you will find that it doesn't really matter, your heart will slow down, your forehead will lose some of those frown lines and overall you might really enjoy the next time sunshine hits your haggard broken face.

To hate things just because you couldn't use them is an old man's (ignorant fool's?) folly, don't be surprised when the ghost of Computer's past knocks on your window one night Ebenezer.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... mongering/
I play guitar

codec_spurt wrote:

Win7 is a POS.

It's a scam and a sham.
Windows7 isn't good comparing to what ? OS X ? Linux ? XP ???!!!!!
you must be kidding.

codec likes to get it ON! :hihi:

What I was upset about way way way WAY back in the olden days with my horse and buggy, was win7(vista) took extra ram compared to xp. Anyways, x64 rules and it's just not a bother anymore (sips coffee and reads paper)

the performance is virtually the same between Mac OS and Windows7
(pc is cheaper of course) on almost every serious benchmark out there.
it's a user preference nothing else...
Mac... take a closed and controlled system with less hardware options
(less choice might result in better productivity)
Windows...take a more open platform that can have endless hardware combinations
and get more savvy with computers.
Linux.. .currently reserved for Jedis...

Chickenman wrote:
Win 7 uses RAM intelligently - disk caching etc, it's there to be used... surely? Win XP is adequate, not going to argue that point but there is NO reason to HATE Win7 and to warn anyone away from it (this goes for Win8 as well).
If you just let it go, just forget that you hate everything made post 2001... you will find that it doesn't really matter, your heart will slow down, your forehead will lose some of those frown lines and overall you might really enjoy the next time sunshine hits your haggard broken face.

To hate things just because you couldn't use them is an old man's (ignorant fool's?) folly, don't be surprised when the ghost of Computer's past knocks on your window one night Ebenezer.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... mongering/
Oh, is that right now. Is it?

My 'haggard broken face'. I take it you saw my mugshot in the morning paper:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=meth+h ... 24&bih=591

You are quite right of course, if only I had said: NO!

Only myself to blame. That'll teach me for using WinXpSp3 instead of Win7.

Oh well, live and learn....

Pass that pipe brother....After you now..

:lol:

yl wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:

Win7 is a POS.

It's a scam and a sham.
Windows7 isn't good comparing to what ? OS X ? Linux ? XP ???!!!!!
you must be kidding.

I think I made it quite clear. Win7 is shit compared to WinXp.
I never used OSX so can't say.
Linux. Anything would be better than Linux..

Any computer with an equivalent amount of RAM when running WinXp will outperform another computer which is running Win7.

Win7 is a resource hog. It's not even up for debate. If you understand my point, you will just say OK!. If you don't you can carry on arguing and make yourself look foolish.

WinXp can run on a 266MHz Pentium with 64MB of RAM. Win7 can't.

Any questions?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”