So what do you think of the new SoundCloud?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm on the new SoundCloud, apparently. Still feeling my way around in there. I haven't yet figured out how to remove tracks from the Stream page :(

Questions in white. Observations/Fixes in yellow. Replies from SoundCloud in orange - I have been given permission to post them

1 ) Ever-growing stream page. How do you control it? On the old dashboard, tracks stayed until you remove them. Approx. 10 tracks disappeared today
Right now, the Stream is meant to act as a place of discovery for new sounds, and with the ability to curate your own sets (more information here: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/por ... -are-they-), you can manage the sounds you want to hear. If you removed tracks from Classic SoundCloud, they would also disappear from the new SoundCloud Stream.
2 ) Stream page layout is cluttered and haphazard.
3 ) Followers ordering random. No most recent listing. User definable sort option would be desirable
4 ) Possible word-wrap issues in profile
5 ) Sharing tracks with groups FIXED - add to group button on player
6 ) Comment replies non-intuitive and usually inserted at a random point in track
7 ) No track-time displayed for comments
8 ) No ability to stop auto play of next track (not a new problem)
9 ) You->Tracks is now artist button->Your Profile
10) Possible redesign of menu system to make it more intuitive?
11) Any news of an increase in streaming bit-rate. Even to 160Kbps.
Afraid we don't have any news on this right now, but we're still hoping to improve the issues that sometimes rise with our current streaming system in the future.
12) Comments hard to read.
13) Replies to comments invisible.
14) Asymetric waveform unsettling to the eye after slaving over a mix.
15) How do you set landing page
On Classic SoundCloud, profiles split up your content into separate tabs, which resulted in lots of extra clicking around. Now, profile pages include all your sounds, sets, and reposts in one reverse-chronological stream, all on one page. Spotlight allows you to showcase some items and enables you to pin up to 3 items (sounds or sets) to the top of your profile. After your three Spotlight items, your other sounds, sets and reposts will be displayed in reverse-chronological order. I don't actually mind the extra clicks involved using the original interface. Others would like the ability to separate tracks from sets. Looking at other people's profiles, it is not blindingly obvious whether you are looking at a track or set, other than by looking at the menu options available from the track/set in question
16) Profile vs. Public Profile vs. Tracks views - confusion
17) Private sharing/Exclusive Tracks - is this supported/implemented in Next SoundCloud? - this is required for distance collaboration
18 ) Non-enlargeable artwork
19) No playcount for individual tracks visible from profile view
20) Comments hard to find - activity tab missing
21) Difficult to see what track is actually playing
22) Public view of User profile should show only tracks created by that user. Any reposts by that user should be separately viewable via another URL

We have released the new site early but realize that there are still a number of necessary improvements and are still listening to the community's feedback. I will definitely relay all these suggestions (including the ones I commented on) to our team that is handling all the feedback about the new SoundCloud.

And today (2012/12/11) I received this link from the SoundCloud helpdesk. It makes interesting reading.

http://blog.soundcloud.com/2012/12/10/a ... oundcloud/

I'll update this from time to time

update 2012/12/07 - Looks like SoundCloud are making little changes to the workings daily.

I submitted 14 of these to the SoundCloud helpdesk. Let's see what happens. I suspect that some of these issues are already being looked at.

It would seem that submitting queries/inquiries via the SoundCloud Help system is the way to go.
Last edited by seismic1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 am, edited 38 times in total.

I was "invited" to the beta (like everyone-else), and kinda felt trapped (like accidentally opting-in to face books "time-line" thing, which I loath) and couldn't get out of it at first... I don't like the lay-out, and a couple of other things I don't remember right now... :oops:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

there are some bugs still to work out for sure, but it seems like a cool improvement. i was feeling like the old interface was slow to respond and a little clumsy.

Followers now seem to appear in a random order, and the "most recent" view has gone too :(

it's bad how the bio on my profile does not word wrap, but cut
s words o
ff at the e
nd pretty bad
ly.

i am sure that most of the glaring bugs will be gone at the final launch.

Some of the new features in the new SoundCloud are great...like continuous play even when you leave the page you were on. I love that feature. However, it's still only half baked...lots of stuff is missing...and by missing I mean totally gone. For example, how do you share a track with a group in the new SoundCloud? It's impossible! Replying to comments isn't has intuitive as it was before either. I liked the old way better.

This is coming from a paid SoundCloud user. I'm all for progression...and yes, the old layout feels dated. However, I felt like I had switch back to the old SoundCloud until their transition is complete. Once it's done I hope they iron out some of the kinks and really blow us away with usability.
S1gns Of L1fe
Ambient Music Producer | Content Creator

I would hope so. This beta has been running for about 3 months iirc

I want to know whether beta testers for SoundCloud reported problems using FogBugz. It would be so fitting.

Programmers treated like rock stars :shock:

I still wish it wouldn't play something after something else stops. Otherwise, it's about the same to me. Nice to continue playback between pages, though, with that header.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

S1gnsOfL1fe wrote:...and by missing I mean totally gone. For example, how do you share a track with a group in the new SoundCloud? It's impossible!
Ah, well that's probably MY fault... I just started to have an interest in "sharing with groups". :hihi:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Omg what a mess! "Next SoundCloud is now the new SoundCloud, for everyone"

I already thought the old SoundCloud was quite bizarre with 'tracks' not listing your tracks etc, now I can't even find them at all.

I've seen it before in some Microsoft programs that when they try to make it clear and easy for "everyone", they make it almost impossible to understand.

Anyone found where user tracks are to be found, please let me know or maybe I should contact support about it.. :|

I don't like it.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

i don't like it as well. after 5 minutes switched back to "old" version which is perfectly fine for me. new version is like "intel outside" and suxxx ;]

I didn't test it. I'm sure the Next Soundcloud won't fit me as the old one.

I like SC simplicity and straight forward interface. I don't think I need more than this to show my music and interact with other people. Besides, I HATE updates.

I'll stick with the old cloud until the end.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”