Scarbee did it again! Scarbee Rickenbacker bass for Kontakt!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey
Well I did make Funk Guitarist togethet with NI.
And it will bit be last guitar product if I can decide.
Thomas Hansen Skarbye
Singer, Bass Player & Creative Director, SCARBEE
Websites: www.scarbee.com
MySpace: www.myspace.com/scarbee

Hey guys! Really hope someone can help me out here.

So I love the sound of this Midi program. I plan to use it, probably in most of my home recordings. But I am having trouble finding where I can flatten out the velocity?

Basically with most other Kontakt instruments, when I click on the icon for instrument options, there are 3 options for Velocity Curve. I almost always pick a flat line because my playing is not very exact and I just want to make sure every note hits the same way and sounds full. Not exactly going for realism, just want it to pop out in a mix and be full and consistent sounding. Otherwise I end up doing endless takes because I can't nail the right level of hitting the keys.

So is this option anywhere in the Rickenbacker program? I have looked and looked, I can't find it at all. Thanks so much.

You should do that in your DAW's piano roll...

Right, piano roll is the answer
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

What is Piano Roll?

Edit: Sorry, looked it up. Okay, so then the only way to do it is after the fact? When all the notes are there, I should just use the pencil tool or what have you and even out all the velocity? Was hoping there was a way to do this before I begin playing so I'm not distracted by the different volumes, but this will do for now.

depending on which DAW you're using, you may be able to it during recording as well (or, rather, modify MIDI information before it goes to the plugin).

you may also read a manual for your keyboard, it may have something like turning off velocity sensitivity as well.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

If you're worried about getting distracted, play on a track with a simple synth, such as a square wave, and then move the track. I don't understand why you'd want a flat velocity though. The Rickenbacker sounds better with more dynamics. Also, make sure you offset the track by about -30 to -33 so the notes hit more precisely.

The point is not to understand why he wants a flat velocity, if he wants to do that...ok. :)
Then the fact you use a simply square wave doesn't mean that the keyboard doesn't transmit the velocity event.

Anyway Jordo to answer to your last question, depends on your DAW, on Logic for example there are some functions to do that in one shot or there is the tool "V" which stands for velocity. Highlight the notes you want to edit and then with the "V" tool you rise up the velocity untill the notes become red. ( As far as I remember also cubase uses colors ).

By the way the pencil tool is not for that purpose, with the pencil you can create new midi notes.
www.pettinhouse.com

Thanks for the advice!

Like I said, I want it to be flat and consistent because my playing on a keyboard is not consistent. To my ears, when I listen to bass on albums I like, it basically seems fairly consistent in volume. I'm just sick of having notes get lost or sound like it's a crappy bass player, because I didn't hit the keyboard hard enough. Or rather, I'd like to control this more both before and after the fact, to get the desired effect I want, rather than cover up my shoddy playing.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I use Cubase. And with cubase the pencil tool, if used below the Notes area, actually does affect the velocity. Just tried it out and yeah, flattening the lines under the notes did the trick. Thanks guys!

OK Jordo so I suggest you to set properly the velocity curve on your keyboard. That would help you
www.pettinhouse.com

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”