KORG to re-release the MS-20!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote:Yeah, I've seen one priced lower too. Hopefully this will become a new trend. I suppose people are thinking of offloading the original MS20 while they still command a high price. Still, most are priced at above the £1000 price mark. One going for £1400 BIN! shock!
I think they are worried that the new version will de-value the vintage ones, which it will. I'd rather a new than old one, why spend £1000 on an old banger when you can have a mint one for half the price...unless you are a vintage synth collector.

I was about to sell my RE-301 so I could order the MS-20. I took some photos of it but accidentally damaged the tape while taking some pictures with the tape compartment opened. I replaced the tape with a new one and connected my CZ 3000. Man, that tape made the RE-301 sound better than ever and I had so much fun while testing it. Now I feel that I just can't sell it. It's not that I lack the funds but my better(?) half thinks I have spent enough on music gear. Hopefully I will find some good and convincing arguments because I think the MS-20 and the tape echo would be great companions :wink:

KungKrille wrote:Hopefully I will find some good and convincing arguments because I think the MS-20 and the tape echo would be great companions :wink:
The standard old "if you really loved me..." often works. Failing that, buy her something with diamonds of equal price to the MS20. Use them both together and you're onto a complete winner. Mind you, it does make music very expensive. If you ever want to buy a Waldorf Wave, she's going to have to get a huuuuuuge rock. :hihi:

kritikon wrote:The standard old "if you really loved me..." often works. Failing that, buy her something with diamonds of equal price to the MS20. Use them both together and you're onto a complete winner. Mind you, it does make music very expensive. If you ever want to buy a Waldorf Wave, she's going to have to get a huuuuuuge rock. :hihi:
Hehe, believe it or not but I'm allowed to purchase one now. And no diamonds involved :-o

as its the mini, shell think its cute anyway :)

An acquaintance told me he saw a Korg advert on the back cover of Sound On Sound for the MS-20. But it also featured an MS-03 {audio -> CV} processor and the SQ-10 sequencer. Anyone else seen this ? I tried googling it but couldn't find it.

Hopefully it's some kind of hint as to what's coming after the MS-20
[/wishful-thinking]

I've seen it. I've got that issue in my hands.
I think it's simply to illustrate what went on before. In addition to Korg gear, there is a Teac 8 track reel-to-reel recorder, so Korg is just setting the synth in a historical context. Although, who's to say that they aren't planning more goodies for us? Would be nice.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

kritikon wrote:
KungKrille wrote:Hopefully I will find some good and convincing arguments because I think the MS-20 and the tape echo would be great companions :wink:
The standard old "if you really loved me..." often works. Failing that, buy her something with diamonds of equal price to the MS20. Use them both together and you're onto a complete winner. Mind you, it does make music very expensive. If you ever want to buy a Waldorf Wave, she's going to have to get a huuuuuuge rock. :hihi:
lol, I had to buy her a £250 phone just so I could spend £1000 on synths. :D
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

The first shipment just arrived to Canada. Long and McQuade got one unit in their Halifax, Nova Scotia. The rep in the Oshawa store spoke to Korg by phone. They are expecting a shipment of about 100 units with about 63 on reserve for customers who put cash down. The next batch (hoping for more than one) will arrive throughout the month of July and then a big gap and more won't come in until October. I also have the volca triplets on backorder as well. No word on when they will be shipped. - Scotty in Canada waiting for Korg.

eXode wrote:Image

The news has just came in from winter NAMM 2013. Korg are officially reissuing in the MS-20 in a smaller, more compact size. It will be using mini-jacks (1/8″ instead of 1/4″) and have USB-MIDI and is of course fully analogue.

Price is a very reasonable €600 and will be shipping in late february 2013.

Let's hope it sounds as good as the original!

Source: Waveformz.com

I heard the first batch from Sweetwater is shipping as well.

I WILL own one of these this year if available in abundance. Just warning everyone....

Just imagine if they could release the analog sequencer too!

Problem really is the price. I think $3000 is too much.

(Get new place that is bigger to have the extra room for the $600 MS20 mini and have to go to 16 channel mixer and ditch my 12 or at least get another 8 to work with my 12.)

In all seriousness, hardware MS20 mini with all those instant gratification knobs is just plain unfair to dangle in front of synth lovers.

It is the irresistible carrot that keeps me walking forward in overtime hours at work.

:D
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I hear you regarding that carrot analogy.

I like what software has to offer and am very happy to have some of the options I have available. But I'm also happy that I've kept some of my hardware as well. It's nice to be able to make music without always having to be tied to a computer. And the hands on tactile interaction is important as well (even a really good controller isn't exactly the same imo).

In a way... I'm also glad that they haven't added things like patch memory. Talk about hands on, eh? It's either going to force me to really get back into programming in a real way... or perhaps make me super lazy (and I'll just keep the one patch always set up, lol).

I don't think they will be "available in abundance" for a while though... maybe by Autumn? It appears that the Mini is super hot right now.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Scotty wrote:The first shipment just arrived to Canada. Long and McQuade got one unit in their Halifax, Nova Scotia. The rep in the Oshawa store spoke to Korg by phone. They are expecting a shipment of about 100 units with about 63 on reserve for customers who put cash down. The next batch (hoping for more than one) will arrive throughout the month of July and then a big gap and more won't come in until October. I also have the volca triplets on backorder as well. No word on when they will be shipped. - Scotty in Canada waiting for Korg.

eXode wrote:Image

The news has just came in from winter NAMM 2013. Korg are officially reissuing in the MS-20 in a smaller, more compact size. It will be using mini-jacks (1/8″ instead of 1/4″) and have USB-MIDI and is of course fully analogue.

Source: Waveformz.com

I got my MS20 Mini in Toronto 2 days ago and my SubPhatty has arrived today - woot :D
So the MS20's are trickling in (just so you know).

The Sub-Phatty will be sitting next to the Nord Modular above the Mackie Onyx later tonight.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

Great news for you! Did you order out of L&M, Steves, Moog or somewhere else?
I'd really like your thoughts on the sub phatty, I have a RadioShack MG-1 with midi retrofit which I have had since I was a teenager and I have been eyeing the sub phatty. Looking forward to the Volca sisters as well. -Scotty

Source: Waveformz.com[/quote][/quote]

I got my MS20 Mini in Toronto 2 days ago and my SubPhatty has arrived today - woot :D
So the MS20's are trickling in (just so you know).

The Sub-Phatty will be sitting next to the Nord Modular above the Mackie Onyx later tonight.[/quote]

Ordered from long & McQuade in Toronto.
My Sub Phatty is here and it is bloody amazing - wowzer.
They both go really well with the Analog Four I might add.
Working on new material with it all at the moment.
Last edited by FaX on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”