Public Beta 2: Everything u-he

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I successfully downloaded both the Zebra and Diva beta updates via Safari (latest version + ML) using the links at the beginning of this thread. No problems at all.

I then went to the Support Page to download the Dark Zebra update, as directed, via my account and every time I tried to download, it would get about 40-50% through the download and then suddenly terminate for no reason.

I checked this strange behavior on 3 different Macs (all ML plus latest Safari) and 2 different networks and each time the same thing would happen.

I then fired up Firefox (latest version) on one of the same 3 Macs and it downloaded successfully right away!

I retried with Safari on the same Mac and again, the download terminated about 40% of the way through.

Again, the links in this thread worked just fine.. but not the link in the Support/Account page.

Any ideas what is going on?

I too was unable to download tdz with safari last night.

Yay, thanks for the update, u-hentlemen. :)

"- MIDI Program Changes on empty folder crashes on Windows. Fixed!"

I've occasionally seen this happen on OS X as well. Hopefully that is an issue of the past as well! :)

"Urs who is currently out of broadband"

Ouch. Punishment from his ISP for downloading too much gear pr0n, I bet. ;)

gbevin wrote:Some very nice updates, thanks! Now that Diva supports VST3 per-note parameters, is it going to support voice-per-channel MIDI soon?
Uh-Oh. Does Cubase show that Diva has that feature? Because that would be a bug - it doesn't support vst3 per note parameters.
Other than that you have a good point - once we have vst3 per note parameters, we should also have per channel modulations :-)

Cheers,
- Clemens

n6smith wrote:I successfully downloaded both the Zebra and Diva beta updates via Safari (latest version + ML) using the links at the beginning of this thread. No problems at all.

I then went to the Support Page to download the Dark Zebra update, as directed, via my account and every time I tried to download, it would get about 40-50% through the download and then suddenly terminate for no reason.

I checked this strange behavior on 3 different Macs (all ML plus latest Safari) and 2 different networks and each time the same thing would happen.

I then fired up Firefox (latest version) on one of the same 3 Macs and it downloaded successfully right away!

I retried with Safari on the same Mac and again, the download terminated about 40% of the way through.

Again, the links in this thread worked just fine.. but not the link in the Support/Account page.

Any ideas what is going on?
Oh, thank you both for your report. I am assuming this has to do with the size of the download. I'll investigate!

- Clemens

cheppner wrote:
gbevin wrote:Some very nice updates, thanks! Now that Diva supports VST3 per-note parameters, is it going to support voice-per-channel MIDI soon?
Uh-Oh. Does Cubase show that Diva has that feature? Because that would be a bug - it doesn't support vst3 per note parameters.
Other than that you have a good point - once we have vst3 per note parameters, we should also have per channel modulations :-)
I hadn't actually checked myself, one of the Eigenharp users said he tried it with the previous beta. I just tried with the latest and there are no VST3 per note expression parameters exposed, so forget I said anything :-)

However, I did play around a bit with using poly pressure for per-note modulations and it seems to work. Wouldn't that mean that a lot of the per-note architecture is in place?

gbevin wrote:However, I did play around a bit with using poly pressure for per-note modulations and it seems to work. Wouldn't that mean that a lot of the per-note architecture is in place?
Hi qbevin,

the difference is, that pressure (and poly pressure) appear as modulation sources in Diva while note expressions are more like parameter automation. (Modulations are like an LFO which can appear inside a voice, but automation is always global for each module, affecting all voices equally.)

:-)

That's why it needs to be done differently, when we want to do it right. Since poly pressure works, I would say that's the way to go for the time being ;).

Cheers,
- Clemens

cheppner wrote:the difference is, that pressure (and poly pressure) appear as modulation sources in Diva while note expressions are more like parameter automation. (Modulations are like an LFO which can appear inside a voice, but automation is always global for each module, affecting all voices equally.)

:-)

That's why it needs to be done differently, when we want to do it right. Since poly pressure works, I would say that's the way to go for the time being ;).
Totally agree about this, but the big elephant in the room here is pitch bend. Poly pressure is only 7 bit, while for smooth pitch-bends you really need 14 bit. Also, pitch bend is generally already sent out with the notes on dedicated channels by all these instruments. Changing that to poly pressure is very difficult since there's no negative component. This means that the only solution for this is putting a base value at PP 64 for instance, but then you have to compensate for a 'detuned' standard pitch from which you'll bend.

I don't see per-note channel pitch bend as being the same as parameter automation.

gbevin wrote:I don't see per-note channel pitch bend as being the same as parameter automation.
Me neither,

I agree that for pitch bending effects in general, poly pressure isn't the right thing and that it would be nice if we had support for more per channel controllers.

Cheers,
-Clemens

n6smith wrote:Any ideas what is going on?
Here we go - first I suspected a bad "size" info during the download but that wasn't the problem.

As we were able to download it properly in the office, I now suspect that it has something to do with a time limit. There was one important time limit set to one minute, which I raised to four now.

Can you now download it with Safari?

Cheers,
- Clemens

cheppner wrote:
Awesome. :) Note that without support of the 'MIDI Mono Mode', Diva still does not officially count as an authentic emulation of the Roland Alpha Juno series, at least. ;)

cheppner wrote:Here we go - first I suspected a bad "size" info during the download but that wasn't the problem.
As we were able to download it properly in the office, I now suspect that it has something to do with a time limit. There was one important time limit set to one minute, which I raised to four now.
Can you now download it with Safari?
Cheers,
- Clemens
Unfortunately, that didn't fix it...

It got further this time.. I actually got about 43MB of the download before it just stopped.

For further info...

I have a 15 MB/sec connection (Bytes not bits) and the download starts at about 100 KB/sec dropping down to less than 70KB/sec by the time it reaches halfway... which is when it then simply stops. It doesn't stall completely.... it just slows down to about 70KB/sec and then suddenly stops.

I tried with Firefox again on the same computer..and no issue... (Though it was just as slow) so I'm guessing it is some incompatibility with Safari that is at the root of this. Also, as i said, I have no problems downloading the other updates via the links in this thread. It's just the link in the Support/Account page that seems to have this issue

In case this is important, the total download time for the ZebraHZ file would be about 15 minutes... based on the speeds i get from your server... The Zebra file took 9 minutes and downloads successfully each time in Safari. (I tried 3 times to make sure) I have tried to download ZebraHZ roughly 8 times and each times it stops after about 10 minutes...

I should also clarify that the ZebraHZ download doesn't slow down to a stop. It continues to download at a steady 70KB/sec and then suddenly stops.

Puzzling. First of all, didn't the whole Diva package used to be a mere 12 or so MBs? I guess including VST3 with it and both coming in 64 and 32-bit do add up! If the problem is on the upload side, then breaking up the package could fix it. At the same time, I wonder what sort of net service those downloading have. Some 40MB takes about 30 seconds tops on the cable service here. In any case, it sounds like a typical "timing out" situation.

On the other subject, I'm a bit excited to suddenly see VST3 really starting to be available. A small number of plugins I use were just released in 3 over the last two weeks.

Suddenly, though, I'm wondering if I will see any benefit. All the new features I see being announced seem like things I am unsure I'll ever use. Also, I'm a little annoyed that some are placing their preset and parameter folders in My Documents without asking my permission. I'm not going to put up with 20-30-40-? folders there, getting in the way of files I regularly use and need to access quickly. All together it's starting to look like some things were not very well thought out ahead of time. After all, VST3 didn't happen yesterday. How many years now has Steinberg screwed up the works, maybe 5 since it was first announced? I've got an urge to simply chuck them and stay with the tried and true. I just wasn't feeling any lack, you know, and what do I need separate note parameters for? That sounds like a lot of busywork, one more annoyance to distract from the prime directive of playing the notes over setting numbers and values on them. Oh well, I suppose time will tell. At this point I'll just be glad when all the bugs are long gone and all this beta stuff is over. Hurray!

The Telenator wrote:Puzzling. First of all, didn't the whole Diva package used to be a mere 12 or so MBs? I guess including VST3 with it and both coming in 64 and 32-bit do add up! If the problem is on the upload side, then breaking up the package could fix it. At the same time, I wonder what sort of net service those downloading have. Some 40MB takes about 30 seconds tops on the cable service here. In any case, it sounds like a typical "timing out" situation.
!
My bandwidth typically allows me to download 100MB in about 15 to 20 secs at most... so if there is a 'speed' issue it lies somewhere along the network between the u-he server and me... (Eastern USA) or the server itself.

Ping and traces show no issues route wise... so maybe the servers themselves are bandwidth limited per connection in some manner?

Also via my remote servers in England.. I get much the same speed normally.. and again, trying to download this file via that remote server using safari running on the remote server, I get the same problem... No issues using Firefox or Chrome for that matter as i just tested that too and it downloaded without problem.

Return to “u-he”