Are all hosts share more or less the same CPU performance when running plugins?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And AGAIN, btw.......I want to thank Brent (koolkeys) again.......spot f**king on! You nailed it!

Regarding CPUs technology, the way I see it is that there's not much left to do then to add more cores and shrink the manufacturing process a little bit more to accommodate them. Well, that's what they've been doing last few years. :D Single core performance won't/can't get much better. It's obvious they need to think of something else, some other way to make fast[er] CPUs.

I really wonder what the future will bring us regarding CPUs. They will surely have to change the entire manufacturing process at some point not so far in the future, to a something completely different to make it a revolutionary change. I wonder what? ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Regarding CPUs technology, the way I see it is that there's not much left to do then to add more cores and shrink the manufacturing process a little bit more to accommodate them. Well, that's what they've been doing last few years. :D Single core performance won't/can't get much better. It's obvious they need to think of something else, some other way to make fast[er] CPUs.

I really wonder what the future will bring us regarding CPUs. They will surely have to change the entire manufacturing process at some point not so far in the future, to a something completely different to make it a revolutionary change. I wonder what? ;)
Getting multichannel audio converters and midi onto the cpu core for really low latencies? :love:

DuX wrote:
I really wonder what the future will bring us regarding CPUs.

Though not dead, the PC tower seems to be less and less important. And people that are not gamers (do people still do that?) or DAW users don't care about anything other than "social networking" and fluff.

Anyways, I digress .........

:lol: "De-focus" your eyes a bit while looking at that picture you posted. What does it look like?

A bunny rabbit with a big red nose! :)
hibidy wrote: Image

That's what I looked like to me. I just wanted a picture of both together.

That's what I was looking for, LawrenceF. :D Something to think about. Thanks! I would agree that the future is rather "Open", indeed, and it's definitely about parallel computing. Open hardware and Open software. At some point [ideally] they will converge. Open software is just getting more popular day by day. It would be interesting to have a computer that costs a few hundred quid, with an OS that is open, a million of plugins... and you just "stick in" new cores if you need more processing power. ;) I mean like in packs of 16 or more cores. If only...

Since Hibidy mentioned gaming... [:)] does someone remember a game called "Uplink"? In that game you are a hacker who upgrades your [open hardware] computer with new cores and memory as you progress through the game. I liked it. It's been many years since I played it, though. [like 10 or more]

This is it: http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/

All these xPads and xPhones are nice toys for recreational activities, but make something really complex comfortably on that thingie? I don't want to get rid of the mouse and the hugest monitor I can buy any time soon. :)
Last edited by DuX on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I know that feeling! It's not nostalgia either, it's practical use.

I like typing. I don't want a touch screen, and I too love my larger monitor (and my eyes are going, along with the mind)

I was just on my "smart" phone with all the touch shit. It's shit. It has a mind of it's own. I guess if I'd have ponied up for the "i" product it's not so bad, but I talk to myself. Seri would have to be turned off :hihi:

I edited you out Hibidy from that "open" sentence. ;) Sorry for misunderstanding.

And interestingly enough, I too saw the bunnies with red noses at first. :lol: Must be the wine. :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”