What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Transient Shapers (you gotta love'em!)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

3ee
KVRAF

2861 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Postby 3ee; Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:52 pm Transient Shapers (you gotta love'em!)

So, I bought the NI Transient Master plug the other day from the market place and so far, I really like it!

Never payed much attention to transient shapers as I thought I can get the punchy snap by tricking some compressors but apparently, practical use tells me that these tools are something else altogether!

My drums will never lack punch/snap again! 8)

Have a listen to some fresh samples I've made using a "mysterious" Reaktor synth. :hihi:

Without:
https://www.box.com/s/idbwkomt9zzs9q1qoa5a

With NI Transient Master on every channel (no extra procession, not even bus compression):
https://www.box.com/s/4l2duvyzhjwecltouwp0

7 instances of transient master on every sample, barely takes up any CPU and sound lovely! :love:

What was your 1st experiences with transient shaping plugs? :)

Cheers"
3ee
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4344 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:13 pm

I was playing with Fxpansion Geist for the first time, and started using the built in transient shaper.

So much fun! Also very essential for certain sounds.
Best Advice I ever got : "Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music."
cryophonik
KVRAF

4065 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 pm

I first started really getting into using transient shapers when Cakewalk bundled the TS64 with Sonar - I used it everywhere. Unfortunately, it only works with Sonar, so I had to buy another one for my other DAWs and, before I knew it, I found some great deals and had gone a bit nuts buying the SPL, Sonnox, NI, and Flux (freebie) transient shapers. Yeah, way more than I need, but I'm pretty fascinated by them. The Sonnox one is probably my favorite, but the SPL and NI ones are close seconds. For a freebie, the Flux Bittersweet is really nice, too.
bbaggins
KVRian

573 posts since 25 Sep, 2010

Postby bbaggins; Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 pm

The Sonalksis transient shaper that's included with Superior Drummer is indispensable. Too bad it's not a separate plugin, because I'd use it on other things if I could. I haven't found anything else (anything affordable, that is) that's as good.

Waves' TransX is a unique variation on the theme that's worth a look, although 90% of the time when I think it would be just the ticket it turns out not to be. Mostly I use it for cutting transients rather than boosting.
B.A.Tech.
KVRian

565 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Postby B.A.Tech.; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:05 pm

My first and last transient designer/shaper plugin is Transient Monster from Stillwell.
osiris
KVRAF

7265 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm

The one called Transient from the KVR Challenge is really good.
TheoM
KVRAF

19214 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:14 pm

cryophonik wrote:I first started really getting into using transient shapers when Cakewalk bundled the TS64 with Sonar - I used it everywhere. Unfortunately, it only works with Sonar, so I had to buy another one for my other DAWs and, before I knew it, I found some great deals and had gone a bit nuts buying the SPL, Sonnox, NI, and Flux (freebie) transient shapers. Yeah, way more than I need, but I'm pretty fascinated by them. The Sonnox one is probably my favorite, but the SPL and NI ones are close seconds. For a freebie, the Flux Bittersweet is really nice, too.

The sonnox one is actually very good on the attack cycle, it has a smooth sound.. but it doesn't have any release control, and that make it incomplete (and very expensive)
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
tremolounge
KVRist

142 posts since 6 Mar, 2004, from Massachusetts

Postby tremolounge; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

I like the Schaack Audio Transient Shaper a lot. Hasn't been updated for a couple years, but it still does a great job (and it's 64-bit in Mac AU and Windows VST).

http://www.schaack-audio.com/home.html
SadPuppyBlues
KVRist

488 posts since 9 Jul, 2008

Postby SadPuppyBlues; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm the transient shaper!
You gotta love me!

cryophonik
KVRAF

4065 posts since 6 Sep, 2006, from Elk Grove, CA

Postby cryophonik; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:43 pm

TheoM wrote:The sonnox one is actually very good on the attack cycle, it has a smooth sound.. but it doesn't have any release control, and that make it incomplete (and very expensive)

Well, true that it doesn't have a proper release control. Transmod is very focused on transients, rather than the body/tail of a sample. But, you can get a similar effect as, say the SPL, by using a negative ratio to de-emphasize the attack, and cranking up the overshoot, rise time, and/or recovery (depending on the sample). Still, not as effective as having separate attack and sustain adjustments (e.g., like the SPL's), but flexible in its own way.
schnapsglas
KVRian

996 posts since 14 Jun, 2012, from Toronto, Canada

Postby schnapsglas; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Transient shaper is something people ought to use more often, it really saves lives! Also M/S processing, frequency analyzer, Maxxbass-like plugins, highpass plugin (cleansweep...) I couldn't live without them.

I suppose the "cheapest" plugin that can compare with the SPL original is the DCAM one? Other than the free Bittersweet...
sauli
KVRist

404 posts since 22 Jun, 2007

Postby sauli; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Is there a transient shaper with lookahead and (meta?)envelope? I'd really like to have something that doesn't click and pop with extreme settings in extreme cases, like for example -100% attack + 100% release.
gmitch
KVRist

200 posts since 14 Sep, 2007

Postby gmitch; Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm

osiris wrote:The one called Transient from the KVR Challenge is really good.

YEP!!!
risome
KVRAF

1771 posts since 30 Oct, 2006, from Australia, NSW

Postby risome; Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

You can get Trans control for free atm from Plugin Mix via a FB like
www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for ACE,PREDATOR,SYNPLANT,SUB BOOM BASS,PUNCH
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and Ableton LIVE Packs
http://syikom.wordpress.com/ my blog
risome
KVRAF