What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

How to sidechain 16th note baseline with effect on first note?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Tridnod
KVRist

156 posts since 30 Nov, 2005

Postby Tridnod; Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:16 pm How to sidechain 16th note baseline with effect on first note?

This is probably simple for most of you guys. Thing is i build a baseline in Logic in 16th notes and then put a kick to send its output to sidechain the bass. Thing is if i want to introduce the baseline after the kick is going the first note isnt ducked by the sidechain making it sound weird. Is this a sequence thing or side chain thing to make it work on first bass-note? The kick hits simultaneously as the first note btw...
drinkthecoolaid
KVRist

68 posts since 7 Dec, 2012

Postby drinkthecoolaid; Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Do you understand how compression works?
Image Check Stagger (step modulated filters/effects) >>Audio Poison
kritikon
KVRAF

5179 posts since 23 May, 2002, from Tutukaka, New Zealand

Postby kritikon; Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:26 am

Tridnod wrote:This is probably simple for most of you guys. Thing is i build a baseline in Logic in 16th notes and then put a kick to send its output to sidechain the bass. Thing is if i want to introduce the baseline after the kick is going the first note isnt ducked by the sidechain making it sound weird. Is this a sequence thing or side chain thing to make it work on first bass-note? The kick hits simultaneously as the first note btw...

Ignoring the previous post, it's probably a glitch in your DAW. I use an older version of Cubase (still on SX2 believe it or not... :hihi: ) and it does exactly that - but only sometimes. Previous versions of Cubase used to do it too. I find that often the first note in any midi sequence won't fire if it's at 0.0.0 and I start from stopped - sometimes it does it even when looping. It's easily fixed for when you're rendering by inserting a gap at the start - 1 bar will do (or less if you're prepared to fiddle about with part bars).
Or another way is to insert a midi delay on the whole project (I assume Logic can do that - I'd be surprised if it can't). Just a few ticks will do it. It may still miss out the first note for ducking when you're looping round, but it doesn't matter as long as you insert a gap for rendering. Another wayu I found was to simply move the first kick forward by one single tick - it stops the missed note and you really can't hear a difference in timing that small. And you only have to do it on the very first note.

It certainly sounds similar to my Cubase issue. It's a bit of a pain when it happens and you're looping sections for mixing and it keeps missing the first note, but I just got used to it and it doesn't bother me now. I never figured out why it doesn't always do it. It doesn't seem to do it if I drop in and out for recording either - just when starting from 0.0.0 - weird.

Oh, and you should probably check that midi priorities are set for note on being highest priority. I'd have thought nowadays that should be a standard default, but it may be that your Logic is set up to have priority for all kinds of other crap - midi note on should always be top priority.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques