The PyDAW thread!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While I'm bumping my thread, might as well announce a couple other things:

1. The PyDAW soundcloud page has been deleted; Why, you ask? Those bastards@soundcloud started marking all of my new uploads as "copyright infringement"(which they most certainly were not), and in order to appeal, they wanted my real name, address and telephone number, and for me to check a box that says "I understand that you are going to turn this info over to the RIAA, and they might sue me". I'm going to evaluate their competitors for a replacement page, I still have everybody's contributions. On that note, any of you can feel free to submit more demos, especially of PyDAWv4.

2. I made some fairly radical changes to the color theme after releasing PyDAWv4... Just a warning that it already barely resembles the screenshots I posted a few weeks back :D

jeffh wrote:While I'm bumping my thread, might as well announce a couple other things:

1. The PyDAW soundcloud page has been deleted; Why, you ask? Those bastards@soundcloud started marking all of my new uploads as "copyright infringement"(which they most certainly were not), and in order to appeal, they wanted my real name, address and telephone number, and for me to check a box that says "I understand that you are going to turn this info over to the RIAA, and they might sue me". I'm going to evaluate their competitors for a replacement page, I still have everybody's contributions. On that note, any of you can feel free to submit more demos, especially of PyDAWv4.

2. I made some fairly radical changes to the color theme after releasing PyDAWv4... Just a warning that it already barely resembles the screenshots I posted a few weeks back :D

Bump that thread brother!

You are so obviously up for the long haul.

I bestow on you, the name of 'Hacker'.

f**k, that is some serious shit.

You are like a one man army!

The game hasn't even begun yet, yet it is so much fun!

It's a good life!

:-)

Man... You had a fairly long response ready to go just moments after I posted... Are you that guy sitting in a van in front of my house? :D

Much respect, Mr. Spurt :)

jeffh wrote:Man... You had a fairly long response ready to go just moments after I posted... Are you that guy sitting in a van in front of my house? :D

Much respect, Mr. Spurt :)

That's me.

Busted.

There's worse jobs.

jeffh wrote:Those bastards@soundcloud started marking all of my new uploads as "copyright infringement"(which they most certainly were not), and in order to appeal, they wanted my real name, address and telephone number, and for me to check a box that says "I understand that you are going to turn this info over to the RIAA, and they might sue me".
Control freaks and ID thieves, they're like a rash
that even makes your doctor jump back!

Hand me a two iron, please... :-o :lol:

AHHhhh, thats better!

For those who like a more bleeding-edge, minimalist Linux distro experience, I now have an alternate version of PyDAW-OS based on Fedora 19, XFCE, Linux Kernel 3.11, GCC 4.8.2 etc...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmod ... /pydaw_os/

XFCE was not my first choice, my scripts can actually spin up a distro based on any of the DEs automagically, but the others didn't make the cut because:

Gnome: Too big to upload to Sourceforge (1.3GB, 1.0GB max)
KDE: Too big to upload to Sourceforge (2.0GB(!!!), 1.0GB max)
Mate: Didn't work at all...
LXDE: Has a goofy bug where plugin windows are opened above the top of the screen (they can be pulled down with ALT+click drag, but I don't want to that assume everybody knows how to do that).

At some point, it might completely replace the Ubuntu version, depending on user feedback and the performance/stability of future Ubuntu releases when run from flash drives and VMs.

just heard about this new reason like daw. is it really true that installing pydaw is the most painless experience to come to linux since ever? is pydaw really as good as its said to be? that its pretty much revolutionary in terms of linux music production. ok, you have my attention. so, what distro does the developer recommend. does it matter? im thinking mint or elementary os as a distro.

i also heard that amazingly it does not use the crap that is jack. do midi controllers work, i dont require ultra low latency anyway because i just use my oxygen25 for auditioning sounds and maybe coming up with melody ideas. i can only play using two fingers anyway. i have an m audio delta2496 and run a q9450 3 gigs ram though i can make complex songs in reason and dont have cpu issues how cpu efficient are the pydaw plugs.

lastly, i greatly approve the developers vision of a no plugin self contained virtual studio. as i did when wired was announced for linux many years back when. however my interest in pydaw lies in the non routing of pydaw and ease of use verse the complexity of reason. is pydaw ready for prime time as a virtual studio that can make complex songs. thanx.

I know this will make me no friends.

But there is a big elephant in the room here.

What will be released first? Bitwig or PyDaw?

There, I've said it.

At this rate..

EDIT:
Must put in smiley faces - :hihi:
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

AstralExistence wrote:just heard about this new reason like daw. is it really true that installing pydaw is the most painless experience to come to linux since ever? is pydaw really as good as its said to be? that its pretty much revolutionary in terms of linux music production. ok, you have my attention. so, what distro does the developer recommend. does it matter? im thinking mint or elementary os as a distro.

i also heard that amazingly it does not use the crap that is jack. do midi controllers work, i dont require ultra low latency anyway because i just use my oxygen25 for auditioning sounds and maybe coming up with melody ideas. i can only play using two fingers anyway. i have an m audio delta2496 and run a q9450 3 gigs ram though i can make complex songs in reason and dont have cpu issues how cpu efficient are the pydaw plugs.

lastly, i greatly approve the developers vision of a no plugin self contained virtual studio. as i did when wired was announced for linux many years back when. however my interest in pydaw lies in the non routing of pydaw and ease of use verse the complexity of reason. is pydaw ready for prime time as a virtual studio that can make complex songs. thanx.

Would it be too difficult to check it out? There are instructions. Never mind all the extra crap. I think the whole point of when you dl PyDaw is that it is a distro in its own right: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmodsynth/

I know that it used Ubuntu when I played about with it.

I'm sure Jeff or Grok will explain everything. This is a distro in it's own right. It is not an app that you dl to put on your current distro as I understand it, unless it has changed. But eventually it will become an app to put on whatever distro you use.

Edit:
You really need to read Jeff's post above. There is so much information out there about this. Is there something specifically you are having trouble with?

codec_spurt wrote:
AstralExistence wrote:just heard about this new reason like daw. is it really true that installing pydaw is the most painless experience to come to linux since ever? is pydaw really as good as its said to be? that its pretty much revolutionary in terms of linux music production. ok, you have my attention. so, what distro does the developer recommend. does it matter? im thinking mint or elementary os as a distro.

Would it be too difficult to check it out? There are instructions. Never mind all the extra crap. I think the whole point of when you dl PyDaw is that it is a distro in its own right: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmodsynth/

I know that it used Ubuntu when I played about with it.

I'm sure Jeff or Grok will explain everything. This is a distro in it's own right. It is not an app that you dl to put on your current distro as I understand it, unless it has changed. But eventually it will become an app to put on whatever distro you use.

Edit:
You really need to read Jeff's post above. There is so much information out there about this. Is there something specifically you are having trouble with?
its a distro in itself? wow.

codec_spurt wrote: Edit:
Awwww... Cut him some slack, no harm in having a conversation with a potential user :D

AstralExistence wrote:just heard about this new reason like daw
It's like Reason in that it's an all-in-one instead of something that requires a minimum of 5 other pieces of software to be usable...

I was actually playing with a friends Maschine 2.0 Studio, I now tell people it's more like that than Reason... In fact, it may be the closest thing to Maschine Studio in existence, period. (and even more so when I finally get around to Monome controller support).
AstralExistence wrote:Is it really true that installing pydaw is the most painless experience to come to linux since ever?
I believe so. It configures your soundcard just like a normal Windows/Mac app, ie: a dialog pops up when you first open it, select your audio/MIDI hardware, then off you go... None of this [spend 6 months troubleshooting Jack] business...
AstralExistence wrote: is pydaw really as good as its said to be? that its pretty much revolutionary in terms of linux music production. ok, you have my attention.
Awwww... **blush** :D
AstralExistence wrote:so, what distro does the developer recommend. does it matter? im thinking mint or elementary os as a distro.
AFAIK my Ubuntu .deb packages work just fine in Mint, so that's a decent choice. Ubuntu and Fedora are the 2 platforms I test against consistently, so those are most likely to give a good experience.

I also have 2 different distros (one based on Fedora, one based on Ubuntu) that you can use as live USBs, or install from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmods ... /pydaw_os/

The Fedora version is relatively new, so maybe best to stick to the tried-and-true Ubuntu version unless you're already comfortable with Fedora. (I've had a few minor-ish playback-related issues with the Fedora one, seems to somehow be related to the libgnome component of the XFCE desktop...)
AstralExistence wrote:i also heard that amazingly it does not use the crap that is jack.
Yes!!! I did not drink the Jack kool-aid!!! :D
AstralExistence wrote:do midi controllers work
Yes they do... Assuming the controller works in Linux (most USB ones do).
AstralExistence wrote:i dont require ultra low latency anyway
PyDAW does pretty well with latency ever since I dropped Jack... I can run my Alesis IO2 USB at 32 samples of latency... Compared with no lower than 1024 samples when it still used Jack, I'd say that's pretty good...
AstralExistence wrote:because i just use my oxygen25 for auditioning sounds and maybe coming up with melody ideas. i can only play using two fingers anyway. i have an m audio delta2496 and run a q9450 3 gigs ram though i can make complex songs in reason and dont have cpu issues how cpu efficient are the pydaw plugs.
That sounds like a very respectable rig to run PyDAW on... AFAIK all of that hardware has excellent Linux compatibility. PyDAW's plugins are actually quite efficient these days, I've always favored sound quality over CPU usage, but the changes to the engine that I made in PyDAWv4 really dropped CPU usage...
AstralExistence wrote:lastly, i greatly approve the developers vision of a no plugin self contained virtual studio.
Thanks, it's good to know that people "get it" :)
AstralExistence wrote:however my interest in pydaw lies in the non routing of pydaw and ease of use verse the complexity of reason.
Yeah, physical wires aren't exactly user friendly, virtual wires even less so... PyDAW's plugins have plenty of modularity and routing without resorting to a wire paradigm...
AstralExistence wrote:is pydaw ready for prime time as a virtual studio that can make complex songs. thanx.
I think so... Some of the sequencer concepts are fairly unique (feel free to ask questions if you can't figure out how to do something), but I think it's to a point that you can make serious music with it.

Here are the last 2 demo tracks I made before me and Soundcloud had a falling out... Both are relatively short and kind of loopy(and also limited by my not-exactly-pro skill level), but I think they do a reasonable job of showing what can be done with PyDAW...

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/gazy ... o5ZqZexbjA

He said 'cut him some slack'.

Aww..

Yes. PyDaw is a distro in itself. In the greatest spirits that the Linux stuff is released in.

It's Ubuntu today, but who knows what it will be tomorrow?

That is the beauty of Linux.

Have you not heard of AV Linux or Dream Linux?

It doesn't matter anyway. This stuff is up in the air.

What Jeff is doing is very low level stuff. In fact, he shouldn't even be messing about with us fellows here.

It really can't be stressed enough.
Jeff is a really really low level hacker.

He has a pretty good interface for api'ing with us flesh modules.

But don't hold that against him.

jeffh wrote:For those who like a more bleeding-edge, minimalist Linux distro experience, I now have an alternate version of PyDAW-OS based on Fedora 19, XFCE, Linux Kernel 3.11, GCC 4.8.2 etc...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmod ... /pydaw_os/
Thanks for sharing :tu:

It looks like KVR made it after all, so it's time to summarize the temporary PyDAW thread in the temporary forum:

* PyDAW got super-mega awesome in recent releases
* Those who would like to translate PyDAW to their local language can now do so by following these instructions: http://sourceforge.net/p/libmodsynth/di ... /4a7f4d52/
* I'm spending some serious time writing actual music, so releases may be less frequent in coming months, but will eventually rebound.

Anything, in what ever small way, can lead us from the cancer that is windows, I am all for.

When I use the word 'cancer', I use it in its broadest term.

I despise windows and microshit at the deepest level. They are evil. Almost as much as google.

Of course you won't win Jeff old boy, but you will go down fighting.

Now feel free to tell me about how all those plugins would not work if...

You know what? I would give every single plugin I have, just to see microshaft fail, such as they have made my life a misery as a developer and a user.

But it's ok. It's 2014 and this is the year we see Microshit die, so I'm happy enough.

Maybe I broke some kind of Kvr rule. Ban me. Delete my post. But read what Trevor Potts has to say at the Register at least. BitWig? It might be nice.

jeffh, I wish you a successful new year at least.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”