Why are there no close to hardware native vst effects?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote:
Fred_Abstract wrote:soundtoys stuff is decent when compared to good hardware but depends what you are after.
Soundtoys are for me one of the most overrated plugins.
what plug you recomend that are better at sounding analog ?
Last edited by Fred_Abstract on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

why are there no parties like an s club party?

To be perfectly honest with you, I've never had had nor likely ever will have the opportunity to sit in front of a "trident" or and "SSL" or whatthef..kever. So kudos for really cool high end stuff that most people can't afford but is really good.

Then there are the rest of us. I like software options. In fact, it's gotten pretty good.

hibidy wrote:To be perfectly honest with you, I've never had had nor likely ever will have the opportunity to sit in front of a "trident" or and "SSL" or whatthef..kever. So kudos for really cool high end stuff that most people can't afford but is really good.

Then there are the rest of us. I like software options. In fact, it's gotten pretty good.
Next you're going to say it's all about talent, making music, inspiration and so on. Be realistic! ;)

My best friend loves hi-fi equipment and can spend hours and days comparing amplifiers, speakers and A/D converters. He will never understand that I'm happy with my iPod. I always tell him I listen to the music, not the sound, and as long as the sound quality isn't so awful as to obfuscate the music itself, I don't really care. I mean, if you're going to get all orthodox, you might as well eschew ALL recorded music, because NO recording will ever come close to the real experience.

hibidy wrote:If at first you don't succeed..........

Some people can make good sound from a can opener and a box of kleenex, some people have waves mercury and can't do anything. But these threads are fun.
that's right folks, don't touch that dial!

:party:

"It dreamed itself along"

ariston wrote:My best friend loves hi-fi equipment and can spend hours and days comparing amplifiers, speakers and A/D converters. He will never understand that I'm happy with my iPod.
...except when you do a double blind test on him which will reveal that all he hears is his confirmation bias :-)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

ariston wrote:... you might as well eschew ALL recorded music, because NO recording will ever come close to the real experience.
This is a fact for me also, 2 very different experiences...great point! :tu:
Sometimes though I just don't want to go to the club in my bathrobe and slippers so some nicely performed, mixed and mastered recorded music has to do...

Because none of them have sexy names?

'Aphex aural exciter' excluded.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

whyterabbyt wrote:
kmonkey wrote:
Ch00rD wrote: In fact, that zero-delay feedback thing that contributes to the awesome sound of Diva's filter was implemented in UA's Moog plug-in a couple of years before u-he managed to pull off that trick.
I am curious on how can you claim that about UAD implementing zero delay in their Moog filter? Never heard it before.
Me neither. references please.
Thanks for adding that quote, digidennis. :) (I did not notice the replies asking for references here above just now; you saved me from having to search for that reference myself. So I now owe you one unit of Googling! ;) )
digidennis wrote:http://www.uaudio.com/blog/moog-multimode-filter-design
As mentioned earlier, "stable" self-oscillation of the filter depends on the fact that some element of the structure saturates, or "clips." This requires inclusion of some form of nonlinearity within the filter's feedback loop. Because of the presence of this nonlinearity, and because of the special one-pole filter structures used, pre-calculation of closed-loop behavior could not be carried out, and the filter had to be implemented directly as a feedback structure. Special techniques were developed to implement this feedback structure without incurring the one sample of delay usually encountered

[oops, accidental double post due to flakey internet connection - removed]

kylen wrote:
ariston wrote:... you might as well eschew ALL recorded music, because NO recording will ever come close to the real experience.
This is a fact for me also, 2 very different experiences...great point! :tu:
Sometimes though I just don't want to go to the club in my bathrobe and slippers so some nicely performed, mixed and mastered recorded music has to do...
+1. Live music compares to recorded music like sex compares to pr0n. ;)

Ch00rD wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
kmonkey wrote:
Ch00rD wrote: In fact, that zero-delay feedback thing that contributes to the awesome sound of Diva's filter was implemented in UA's Moog plug-in a couple of years before u-he managed to pull off that trick.
I am curious on how can you claim that about UAD implementing zero delay in their Moog filter? Never heard it before.
Me neither. references please.
Thanks for adding that quote, digidennis. :) (I did not notice the replies asking for references here above just now; you saved me from having to search for that reference myself. So I now owe you one unit of Googling! ;) )
digidennis wrote:http://www.uaudio.com/blog/moog-multimode-filter-design
As mentioned earlier, "stable" self-oscillation of the filter depends on the fact that some element of the structure saturates, or "clips." This requires inclusion of some form of nonlinearity within the filter's feedback loop. Because of the presence of this nonlinearity, and because of the special one-pole filter structures used, pre-calculation of closed-loop behavior could not be carried out, and the filter had to be implemented directly as a feedback structure. Special techniques were developed to implement this feedback structure without incurring the one sample of delay usually encountered
I should note that one of the current UA algorithm developers, Tim Stilson, published a paper on digital emulations of the Moog filter back in 1996. I started working with Tim in 1999, and his code at that point had built-in soft saturation. It wasn't zero delay feedback, though.

I thought that Tim's work was incorporated into the UA Moog plugin when he was hired by them in 2007, but apparently the plugin had been developed before Tim came on board. David Berners worked on the UA Moog plugin, and had been at CCRMA with Tim back in the 1990s.

There was another CCRMA PhD, Harvey Thornburg, that had a presentation in 1998 about different nonlinearities within the Moog filter structure, but this presentation was never published. I know that a few papers came out around 2004 that claimed to "invent" nonlinearities in the digital realization of the Moog filter, but this was part and parcel of the original CCRMA realizations. Reaktor had a similar structure around 1999 or so IIRC, back when it was called "Generator."

Sean Costello

"Switched-On Bach." Live experience: hours of the sounds of patchcords being plugged into jacks, chair movement, a tape deck being started, a few seconds of minutes of playing, then more of the preceding. I'll admit, that isn't close to the experience of listening to the recording.

Meffy wrote:I'll admit, that isn't close to the experience of listening to the recording.
You should have gone to the Monsters of Rock festival. Bottles and buckets of p*** hitting you in the head. Some of which, some of the people that threw them did not have the good courtesy to put the top back on first. Happy days!

Still not as good as at Glastonbury though when a thick northener (I know not all northerners are thick, but he was from up north, and very thick) decided it was a good idea to p*** into a receptacle which he somehow miraculously managed to offload the entire contents of onto the back of my trousers and an open bag (as you do) of a young family's baby clothes and sandwiches. Not to mention the back of their legs and trousers including the young kids. Don't know how, but he did.

Think it's fair to say that none of us were the violent type, as if we were we would have beaten him to a bloody pulp on the spot. Still, nice thought.

So yeah, nothing like the recording really.

:)

Return to “Effects”