Disco Din: Album Release (update, 12 songs total)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by PurpleCatfishBettie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Very enjoyable wobbly guitar romp which I thought contained shades of J.S. Bach's Chromatic Fantasy.

Good work :)

seismic, thanks! i'm gonna release a 'clearer' mix; probably later today.

as well, i'm going through and kind of doing an overall overhaul to all of these 'disco din din' pieces (12 of them so far), and bringing volumes down a tad; all in order to get better dynamics.

with these new mixes, the 'TT Dynamics Rating' thingamaboob is hovering at around 10 or 11, instead of 6 or 7 as before. it's not 12 or 13 (like my recordings from the '80s and '90s), but at least it's laying off a bit from the 'in the box slamming' of the past 3+ years.

always enjoy your mix of "live" drums/guitar with wacko synths, just listened to rhymes with holy last night :tu: :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

mrblitz wrote:seismic, thanks! i'm gonna release a 'clearer' mix; probably later today.

as well, i'm going through and kind of doing an overall overhaul to all of these 'disco din din' pieces (12 of them so far), and bringing volumes down a tad; all in order to get better dynamics.

with these new mixes, the 'TT Dynamics Rating' thingamaboob is hovering at around 10 or 11, instead of 6 or 7 as before. it's not 12 or 13 (like my recordings from the '80s and '90s), but at least it's laying off a bit from the 'in the box slamming' of the past 3+ years.
I've been going through this DR recovery program :drunk: for the last 12 months or so. With a combination of better mixing and mastering, the results have been surprisingly good.

layzer, indeed it's a great thing to have the chance to jam with 'live' drums. the 'rhymes with holy' from the last album has de la mancha basic_64 on organ.

in any event, this here project is based on programmed drums; mostly kick/snare/hats.

seismic, maybe i'll have to look into that 'dr' software; although at the moment, money is tight. as it is, i'm just lowering the levels of the song. through these headphones, this mixes don't sound as clear as the typical movie or television show music, but hopefully there's been some improvement nonetheless.

ok, updated dniepr boatmen, and added 5 more tracks from this album.

the plan is to also re-do the earlier (6) tracks... (edit: done)
Last edited by PurpleCatfishBettie on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I only listened to the "Dniepr Boatmen" so far. The title raises a valid point. Why should the Volga Boatman bask in the limelight while the Dniepr Boatmen toil away in obscurity? Mr. Blitz has finally addressed this imbalance. :)

On to the music. I am also reminded of Bach. The harpsichord solo of the Brandenburg Concerto 5 comes to mind. Mr. Blitz, as always, is straddling a fine line between genius and madness. Who can say which is which? Blitzified Bach is always a good thing in my book. :tu:

mrblitz wrote: seismic, maybe i'll have to look into that 'dr' software; although at the moment, money is tight. as it is, i'm just lowering the levels of the song. through these headphones, this mixes don't sound as clear as the typical movie or television show music, but hopefully there's been some improvement nonetheless.
The Pleasurize Music Foundation offer a couple of DR meter tools which you are supposed to sign up as an Active Member to download. It costs $30 to sign up. Their website hasn't seen much update action in quite a while but the tools (particularly the Offline meter) are very useful imho.

My latest (Wall Of Doubt) clocks in at DR 13.

I'll check some more of your tunes out later - archive.org is not currently letting me stream anything.

inspired and utterly mental (in the best way possible) :tu:

neil.

thanks guys!

seismic, indeed i've been using the offline meter. after that loudness discussion on the meldaproductions dubstep song thread, i started taking it more seriously. i had also noticed how your latest was at a 13 rating, and went back and further noticed that 'all' of my material from the '80s and '90s was in a similar range, whilst my newest stuff was pushing 7 and 6. so, it was decided to go back to getting some 'bounce into the meters', with more reasonable 'DR ratings' of 10+.

I just listened to Qetzalcoatl Calling. I think I heard this maybe a year ago, but I don't remember it being this mellow and funky. The mix is very clear. I love the rhythm guitar on this one.

Good works :)

seismic, thanks.

'qetzalcoatl calling' might be the 'best' track on the album. btw, it's got zebraCM on the 'plucks'.

among other things, the guitar on the previous 'mock-up' wasn't quite 'in the pocket'. groove-wise it's a better fit with this version.

well, the entire album is updated; 12 songs, mixed in a similar fashion across the board: http://archive.org/details/FourCorners

Return to “Music Cafe”