Cycle: spectral granular synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cycle

Is this synth using samples as impulse models or is it actually playing the samples? The guitar and horn sounds on this sound fantastic. Definitely going to be checking more of this out. The hybrid type instruments are quite good and I'm starting to like the synth sounds this thing produces.

you load a "reference sample" so I'm guessing it is using some sort of resynthesis...

Neither - it's purely a synthesiser - the reference sample is just so you can copy patterns in the sample using Cycle's drawing tools - it doesn't 'play' the sample, nor does it resynthesise it, although it's been hinted some form of resynthesis might come in a future version.

http://www.amaranthaudio.com/help/samples.php

Yup, it looks like you can copy a "pattern" say from the time domain, the phase spectrum or from the "harmonic magnitude spectrum", which sounds like either making a direct image of a portion of the sample itself or a limited kind of resynthesis. I tried to do this with the trial version but couldn't get any sound and didn't pursue it further

EvilDragon wrote:Sounds really awesome to me, especially the distorted sounds! I'm interested in how it LOOKS, too. :)
It is intriguing, I wonder if it ever goes on sale.

It was on sale ;)

What I have heard from the developer in version 2, he will include image synthesis (loading photo data)

My videos ;) about the factory presets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXesOFwtH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-OLAYNab2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiCodGYuGG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-B8q5W5dSY
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

So got round to installing Cycle Beat version (LE)

The one thing I can see is missing straight away from the full version, is the morph function, and mod matrix too :(

But still there is a lot of stuff included, will take some time to get my head properly around it :idiot:

Numanoid wrote:So got round to installing Cycle Beat version (LE)

The one thing I can see is missing straight away from the full version, is the morph function, and mod matrix too :(

But still there is a lot of stuff included, will take some time to get my head properly around it :idiot:
wut there is a beat version? :ud:
hmm i need to get this for real.

Granular examples?

Seems strange to me that this thread use to be titled just as the youtube sets as 'Spectral Synthesizer' and seems to have been changed to add 'granular' to the thread only upon the announcement of the Alchemy site closure. So more examples of this 'added' feature would be nice.

Ameyah Audio wrote:wut there is a beat version? :ud:
Better to get the real thing if you have the money I think.

It doesn't look like one can import samples (waveforms, images or anything like that).

You get to play around with the presets, can fool around with pulling the points on the graph, and add some effects.

And you can save the doodlings, or even start afresh with an init preset.

But in the end it doesn't look like to be much more than a "Player Version" of Cycle.

It doesn't even have a filter section :(

Numanoid wrote:
Ameyah Audio wrote:wut there is a beat version? :ud:
Better to get the real thing if you have the money I think.

It doesn't look like one can import samples (waveforms, images or anything like that).

You get to play around with the presets, can fool around with pulling the points on the graph, and add some effects.

And you can save the doodlings, or even start afresh with an init preset.

But in the end it doesn't look like to be much more than a "Player Version" of Cycle.

It doesn't even have a filter section :(
pretty skint, just bought new plugins hmm will see.

werp wrote:Cycle: mac version (yosemite) works just fine with Logic Pro X and stand alone.
I didn`t give up and checked it out all again. On the Beat DVD there are 2 versions 1 for Win and 1 for Mac. I installed the right one, but for reasons I don`t understand it doesn`t work on my PC. I also installed the Cycle Beat Version on my laptop and there it works fine :D

That`s very strange, because both PC and laptop are Windows 7. On the laptop Cycle works, but on the PC it doesn`t work no matter what I try. I´m afraid that I can`t solve this problem, but I`m happy that it runs at least on my laptop now.

Concerning the Beat version: Hm, I don`t know if it is really a full version (as promised), because I haven`t had the time for to check it out until now.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote:
werp wrote:Cycle: mac version (yosemite) works just fine with Logic Pro X and stand alone.
I didn`t give up and checked it out all again. On the Beat DVD there are 2 versions 1 for Win and 1 for Mac. I installed the right one, but for reasons I don`t understand it doesn`t work on my PC. I also installed the Cycle Beat Version on my laptop and there it works fine :D

That`s very strange, because both PC and laptop are Windows 7. On the laptop Cycle works, but on the PC it doesn`t work no matter what I try. I´m afraid that I can`t solve this problem, but I`m happy that it runs at least on my laptop now.

Concerning the Beat version: Hm, I don`t know if it is really a full version (as promised), because I haven`t had the time for to check it out until now.
i ahd similar problem witheh demo installer, it was all installing fine on my notebook on the big desktop the installer installed it, but i couldnt open the vst in my DAW. it was really strange, but then after some cleaning i got it working, maybe some waindows patches got in the way.

there are some things left out from the Beat version like already mentioned the Morph-feature, the sample input and also the Filter Distortion if i got this right, but you can still create your own patches and get crzay with the waveform create (i will call it that), i had some fun playing with this yesterday, i liked, cycle got a really agressive sound, really synthestic. when i have some money left - i will buy it.

Ameyah Audio wrote: i ahd similar problem witheh demo installer, it was all installing fine on my notebook on the big desktop the installer installed it, but i couldnt open the vst in my DAW.
Yep, that`s exactly my problem too although the CicleBE.dll is definitely installed at the plugin folder of my DAW.
Ameyah Audio wrote: it was really strange, but then after some cleaning i got it working, maybe some waindows patches got in the way.
Aaaaaaaah good hint, thanks :) I tried a windows update first, because I supposed this maybe could be the reason, but the update didn`t help. I will try the cleaning now, hope this will help.
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
Daodejing verse 37

Update: The cleaning didn`t help to solve the problem.

But the real strange thing is: When I installed Cycle first time I installed both the 64bit version and the 32bit version by accident. Later I found out that the DAW is only finding the 32bit version. I can open up the 32bit version in my DAW but I can`t use it because the cursor doesn`t work at all like I described at my earlier posts into this thread. I recognized my mistake, removed the 32bit version, because I need the 64bit version, but then I had the problem that the DAW wasn`t recognize Cycle at all. I just report this here for the case that someone else will have the same problems and maybe someone can find out how to solve it.

Because this Cycle Version was for free and because I can use it at least on my laptop I`m happy so far :) It is not the first Synthesizer I can only use on 1 of my 2 PC`s. For some you have to buy 2 licenses if you wish to use them on more than 1 PC and so: One has to make compromises LOL :wink:
Daodejing verse 37

Return to “Instruments”