NI Monark filter in other Reaktor ensembles, an approach (improved results and new demos added )

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

yesterday i started using the JP-4c Reaktor ensemble of Alex Shore that includes an awesome approach to the famous Roland Supersaw.

see this thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Based on that i started testing if i could include the Supersaw macro in NI Monark. Alex himself mentioned that such experiments are welcome.

-----------------------------------------------------
CURRENT RESULT (27.7.2013)

After having solved several problems that i found at the beginning i now started to create a more "full featured" synth.

Changes are:
- replaced the envelopes with "standard" envelopes (no Core Cell) which reduces the CPU use around 10% (or more) on my system.
- Added Pitchwheel support and Aftertouch (currently increases Cutoff).
- Added another LFO for filter modulation
- adapted the few presets to the changes (especially the envelopes)

Here is a screnshot of the current GUI:

Here is the structure of the ensemble:

This is how the Monark macro looks now (envelope module removed so only the filter + Amp remains):

This is how the new version of the Supersaw macro (originally from JP-4c) with the Core macro for the oscillators looks (this is needed to get the envelope release working !!):

For those who want to try to rebuild this here is the ensemble without the Monark filter module:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... filter.ens

You will need the "Filter & Amplifier" module from Monark. At the screenshot you see how to set the wires.

Of course you are free to test other filter modules instead of the Monark filter.

If the CPU use is too high you could reduce the voices (currently 5) in the ensemble options. Removing the effects (or just switching off) could save lots of CPU too.

-----------------------------------------------------

Older approach:
Looks i found a way to get the Supersaw macro play with Monark but needs some more tweaks to be used properly.
As a starting point i used the poly modification for Monark.

Those are screenshots of the first approach (Supersaw added as Osc1), use "open in new window" to see the full pictures:

The Supersaw macro adds two new controls to the GUI.

The Poly modification (+ AT mod) is posted here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378319

UPDATE:
Here is a first demo of a Monark patch using the modification in the quoted post (this is pure Monark, no FXs):

Monark Supersaw demo 01

A screenshot of the Monark patch:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... o%2001.png

The two grey knobs at Osc 1 are from the Supersaw macro (saved as macro from the JP-4c ensemble) and the slider at the top is from my aftertouch mod (see the link posted at the quote or my last post).

The other 2 oscillators of Monark are still fully usable with this first modification.

Later i found this:
Just did a few improvements to my first attempt of using the Supersaw in NI Monark.

This is how the GUI looks now:

changes:
- removed the knobs for Osc 1
- added a knob for transpoing Osc1 from -24 up to +24 semitones (could change this to other values).

That transpose knob is connected to the corresponding input.

Other modifications used are:
Poly-modification + aftertouch modification (link already posted at the first page of this thread).

Several thing s could be still improved with this Monark modification (including the GUI) but at the current state it seems to work nicely. The two other oscillators do still work normally.

Will try to post a detailed procedure (maybe better as a PDF file) when i think i am finished. Of course i could not post the modified ensemble as this is not a free one.

Those quotes were moved from the other thread at the link i posted.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

UPDATE:
Currently i am cutting down Monark to the minimum of modules where i still get a sound from the Supersaw macro conected to it.
I was already able to substitute the envelopes with standard ones.

UPDATE:
Starting from the Monark ensemble and the Supersaw macro, deleting modules step by step and replacing them with standard modules i am very close to get my own synth based on the Supersaw from Alex and the Monark filter. Also removed all GUI elements + backround from Monark already and replaced with the standard one.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ha ha. An unholy creation of Roland and Moog.

Nice work. It's a pity that Reaktors gui elements are such a pain to work with once you move from the default bitmaps.

Am I right in saying that the filter in Monark is a zero delay design?

How is Monark Ingo? I just ordered K9 today looking forward to playing with this.

Rob

hey Ingo,
That looks like fun. I like the look of the first version with the knobs, no faders. You could try to use the bitmap from the Monark 'Load' knob instead of the standard Reaktor knob. It might look even cooler! Will probably sound just a tiny bit better too! :hihi: :tu:

Monark is, as the kids say these days, hella dope.

Kudos for being able to actually rewire something this complex. I still haven't looked into the guts of Reaktor, and it has so much user-generated content that it's kept me busy with that alone.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Would you be allowed to share the finished cross-pollination as a free ensemble in the Reaktor user library?

Numanoid wrote:Would you be allowed to share the finished cross-pollination as a free ensemble in the Reaktor user library?
no.

vurt wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Would you be allowed to share the finished cross-pollination as a free ensemble in the Reaktor user library?
no.
Agreed. As mentioned in my last post i am working on something that uses the Supersaw module, the Monark filter and standard modules for the envelopes etc.
For that i could post an ensemeble that excludes the Monark filter so people could copy it there themselves. I could even keep the inputs of the core cell macro.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

rob_lee wrote:How is Monark Ingo? I just ordered K9 today looking forward to playing with this.

Rob

Hi Rob, you could have a look here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378319

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

rob_lee wrote:How is Monark Ingo? I just ordered K9 today looking forward to playing with this.

Rob
Excellent.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:

Rob
Excellent.
That will do for me.. will have it tomorrow, looking forward to this one :-)

Rob

Here are 3 screenshots of my current approach to combine the Supersaw macro from JP-4c and the Monark filter module:

The only remaining module from Monark is the "Filter & Amplifer" Core cell module. This is either already available for loading it or you could save it yourself if you already got Monark. I am not allowed to provide that modukle myself.

This ensemble is working polyphonic (5 voices in this example) and it is more or less working nicely (i would call it an "alpha" version) at the current stage but there are a few issues remaining.

One is that the Release stage of the envelopes does not seem to work. I must check again how the Release On/Off switches in the original Monark ensemble are implemented.

The "Load" knob for the Overload amount does not seem to have any effect.

I am also checking the parameter ranges of the envelope etc.

Adding an LFo and some other stuff could be helpful too.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Interesting project - if you want anyone to test it let me know :)

This is a great idea! Let us know when you have a final.version... I'm looking forward to building my own frankensynth. :)
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”