Tone2 Nemesis is released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nemesis 3

KingTuck wrote:Nemesis is absolutely amazing. It's Tone2's best synth by far. It is a sonic monster that will NEVER be fully realized no matter how long someone goes at it. TBH I would be happy to see Tone2 just leave it as it is. Can't think of much worth putting into a V2. It's filled with features and super stable, I'd be happy to see Tone2 just ride it out with occasional soundsbanks and whatnot.
I fully agree. I'd love some new skin, perhaps, just for variety's sake (a red or blue Nemesis would be amazing), but the synth in itself is basically perfect.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
KingTuck wrote:Nemesis is absolutely amazing. It's Tone2's best synth by far. It is a sonic monster that will NEVER be fully realized no matter how long someone goes at it. TBH I would be happy to see Tone2 just leave it as it is. Can't think of much worth putting into a V2. It's filled with features and super stable, I'd be happy to see Tone2 just ride it out with occasional soundsbanks and whatnot.
I fully agree. I'd love some new skin, perhaps, just for variety's sake (a red or blue Nemesis would be amazing), but the synth in itself is basically perfect.
Skins would be nice. I believe Tone2 occasionally put those in with expansions. Red and/or blue Nemesis would be awesome! :)

Another vote for the skins. The one out of the box is easy to get used to, but it would be nice to check out variations.

Every time I go back to this synth I'm impressed, love the "spectral editing within the FM" aspect, just an amazing synth all around in my opinion.
Ha ha suck it!

Any word on the OS X installation fix?

Apostate wrote:Another vote for the skins. The one out of the box is easy to get used to, but it would be nice to check out variations.

Every time I go back to this synth I'm impressed, love the "spectral editing within the FM" aspect, just an amazing synth all around in my opinion.

for alternative skins look here:
https://www.tone2.com/html/neofm.html
i like and use the green skin. cheers

Green and black, very cool :tu:
Ha ha suck it!

Yep, I have those, I use the black one :)

EDIT: It's a tweaked version of the skin included in the Arpmania soundset :D

I think this was something designed by me. Maybe it was a candidate for the default skins... maybe something to be included in an expansion... Maybe something designed by someone else lol (I can't remember, really! :lol:).
I'm using this one, when working on synths for a long time I prefer dark skins.

P.S.: And yes, the Ambientica soundbank by Mac sounds really good, same for the included demo... album! :o :love: :D :tu:

MaxSynths wrote:EDIT: It's a tweaked version of the skin included in the Arpmania soundset :D

I think this was something designed by me. Maybe it was a candidate for the default skins... maybe something to be included in an expansion... Maybe something designed by someone else lol (I can't remember, really! :lol:).
I'm using this one, when working on synths for a long time I prefer dark skins.

P.S.: And yes, the Ambientica soundbank by Mac sounds really good, same for the included demo... album! :o :love: :D :tu:
NICE!!! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Ha ha suck it!

Yep, the black skin is good! :) And thanks for the kind words, Max :)

Well, I finished my work for the day and had some time to kill, so I decided to listen to some of the demo tunes on the site while reading the specs of this thing.

Let me start by saying that I own Electra 2 and Rayblaster so I am not a Tone 2 hater.

But honestly, I don't know what it is they're doing here.

Nemesis is essentially being marketed as an FM synth but the truth is, that's just a small fraction of what this thing does. No way are the sounds created in the demo tracks done by pure FM synthesis. There is much more going on under the hood, including samples. And that's fine. I've come to accept that Tone 2 throws everything including the kitchen sink into their synths. They are a programmer's playground.

But all this "Better FM" and "DX 7 is PD" and "other synths are crap" and yada, yada, yada, is just a little over the top. I get that they have to market their product and I get that they have to make it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread but really?

And the most hypocritical part of the whole ad campaign is that after condemning other forms of FM as being inferior, they included those forms in the synth except their way of doing it is better, without the artifacts and weaknesses.

Bravo for your ingenuity and genius.

I get marketing, but that sales letter is so over the top, it's hard to take it seriously.

The sound? Yeah, it sounds great. It doesn't sound FM great, but it sounds great. I'm sure my favorite sounds in the demos were not made just with FM synthesis and I'll bet my whole synth collection that a great many of them use samples. And ultimately, all of this ends up making Nemesis sound very much like Electra 2 and Rayblaster.

Add to that the fact that the synth is $200, the same price tag as Zebra 2, which is a vastly superior synth as far as what it can do programming wise, and I have to pass on it. I already feel guilty about spending close to $400 on Electra 2 and Rayblaster. As much as I like them, their synths are overpriced. I mean REALLY overpriced.

I have no doubt that Nemesis is a whole lot of fun to program as is Electra 2 and Rayblaster. But $200 fun? It's just hard for me to justify yet another $200 synth purchase with what I currently have on my hard drive.

None of this is meant to take away from the sound of Nemesis, which is excellent. But there is nothing really new here. I've heard these sounds in other Tone 2 synths. They're all great and I've already got 'em.

When Tone 2 makes a really different and unique synth that doesn't sound like everything else that they put out, maybe I'll consider purchasing another one of their synths. But right now I have everything that I need from them.

I bought Gladiator 2 at the 2 for 1 end of year sale and got Nemesis for free. Maybe you should wait at December to do the same...

wagtunes wrote: I'm sure my favorite sounds in the demos were not made just with FM synthesis and I'll bet my whole synth collection that a great many of them use samples.
I'm not a developer and I might be wrong, but all vst synths use samples. A sine wave in vst synth is not generated by current moving through circuits, it's a sample of a sine wave (please devs out there confirm this).
Nemesis can also extract and import a single cycle from any sound on your hard disk, so if what you mean by samples is this and what I said above is true, then yes, it uses samples.
Otherwise, the answer is no, it does not.
I agree with you about the emphasis given to FM, though, as it is capable of so much more...

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I'm sure my favorite sounds in the demos were not made just with FM synthesis and I'll bet my whole synth collection that a great many of them use samples.
I'm not a developer and I might be wrong, but all vst synths use samples. A sine wave in vst synth is not generated by current moving through circuits, it's a sample of a sine wave (please devs out there confirm this).
Nemesis can also extract and import a single cycle from any sound on your hard disk, so if what you mean by samples is this and what I said above is true, then yes, it uses samples.
Otherwise, the answer is no, it does not.
I agree with you about the emphasis given to FM, though, as it is capable of so much more...
What I meant by samples is non traditional sine, saw, square samples. I heard kick drums and snares and there's no way they were made with traditional waves. Not of that quality. Those were unquestionably drum samples.

And like I said, I'm fine with how Tone 2 puts together their synths. They are some of the most feature packed synths out there. But they are still terribly overpriced when you compare them to something like Zebra 2. If Nemesis was selling for like $129 to $149, I might actually pick it up. It's just not a $200 synth. None of their synths are. And they really need to get real with their pricing.

Tone2 do pretty well financially so they definitely don't need to, and probably won't, alter their pricing anytime soon. The kick and snares are probably samples. It's not uncommon to use percussion samples in demo vids for new synths. Never has been.

Tone2 stuff should, across the board, be about $30-$50 cheaper. I'll agree there. Saurus is fairly competitively priced compared to what else is out there though. Perhaps not compared to Diva, but it certainly takes the cake over Minimonsta and stuff of that price.

Return to “Instruments”