Best Software emulation of the Roland TR-808 Rhythm Composer?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rob_lee wrote: Does your 909 Clap phase like the Drumazon Clap? Iv'e yet to hear a real software emulation yet in comparison to the hardware units.
On your page it seems that you've put both the 808/909 in one box.. so you can mix 808/909 sounds from 1 software?
That looks cool cause i never seen your website before although i heard of ABL.

Rob
I have to admit that D16's 909 emulator is very well done and has the edge over ADM's. But I personally think we have the edge on the 808 and 606 models, I'll leave it up to the users to decide though. And yes you can mix and match between the 606/808/909 models in ADM.

About the site: Yeah we've been pretty lousy at marketing our stuff for the past few years but we are really on track to improve everything now, including ADM's 909 model.

--Mike
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Mike Janney wrote:
rob_lee wrote: Does your 909 Clap phase like the Drumazon Clap? Iv'e yet to hear a real software emulation yet in comparison to the hardware units.
On your page it seems that you've put both the 808/909 in one box.. so you can mix 808/909 sounds from 1 software?

Rob
I have to admit that D16's 909 emulator is very well done and has the edge over ADM's. But I personally think we have the edge on the 808 and 606 models, I'll leave it up to the users to decide though. And yes you can mix and match between the 606/808/909 models in ADM.

About the site: Yeah we've been pretty lousy at marketing our stuff for the past few years but we are really on track to improve everything now, including ADM's 909 model.

--Mike
They didn't do certain aspects of it right though but the young kiddies of today won't know what we're on about here.
I like the way you can mix an 808/909 in your emulations where we need to buy both Drumazon and Nepheton in order to use the same sounds.

I personally prefer the 808 clap to that of the 909. I will check out your version soon. Looks pretty interesting.
You should advertise more i had forgot you guys were even there ;-)

Rob

Mike Janney wrote:

Rob

--Mike
May i just add that your 909 cymbals sounds way closer then D16. Then again, there is a option to load your own samples which is kinda cool..

this
shop.propellerheads.se/media/product/com.joshlevy.Synth808/pictures/p17rrtekde1lg697nfj21rhn12ef7.png?1376064805584

with the missing bottom half.

kmonkey wrote: May i just add that your 909 cymbals sounds way closer then D16. Then again, there is a option to load your own samples which is kinda cool..
Thanks..! I'm not sure there is much difference between our and their 909 cymbals though.. We are however proud of the 808 cymbal model in ADM, it cuts through in a mix and have the same movement as the real 808 in our opinion. We still have small improvements to make obviously though..!

--Mike
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Aloysius wrote:Samplephonics 808 looks nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6K2UnsMj8
+1, needs Kontakt 5 full version though to use that GUI.

808 sample collections may sound good, but shouldn't count as emulations.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:808 sample collections may sound good, but shouldn't count as emulations.
When they use scripts to interpolate between knob positions and provide a full GUI, I think they do. We have sample based instruments that go far beyond simply loading a bunch of static patches these days. There is no rule that states that the instrument has to be virtual synthesis in order to qualify as an emulation.

Anyway, another vote for Transistor Revolution. It's a remarkably complete sample based emulation (sans sequencer). I just don't get the same satisfaction from any of the ones that use virtual synthesis. It does use a ton of RAM though.

I haven't tried the Samplephonics one, but it looks like it may be a close competitor or even a superior product since it contains the sequencer and the option of samples recorded to tape. I'm itching to grab it too, but I feel like I already have enough good 808 options.

EDIT: I'm a bit skeptical after reading a bit about the samplephonics version. It seems that it isn't programmed to do proper hi-hat chokes. That makes me concerned that they may have also been careless about other details.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

[quote="afreshcupofjoe"
When they use scripts to interpolate between knob positions and provide a full GUI, I think they do. We have sample based instruments that go far beyond simply loading a bunch of static patches these days. There is no rule that states that the instrument has to be virtual synthesis in order to qualify as an emulation.
[/quote]

A good multi-sample is just that: a good multi-sample. I personally do not think it counts as an emulation but that's semantics. Point is if you like a product, use regardless of how the results are obtained..!
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Mike Janney wrote:[quote="afreshcupofjoe"
Point is if you like a product, use regardless of how the results are obtained..!
This is exactly it.. one can however have too many products (gear lust) it slows any productivity IMO. I know cause i have gear lust for hardware :D

Rob

Mike Janney wrote: Thanks..! I'm not sure there is much difference between our and their 909 cymbals though..

--Mike
I am sure. Difference is very obvious. Especially ch and oh..

afreshcupofjoe wrote:
electro wrote:808 sample collections may sound good, but shouldn't count as emulations.
Would you make the same argument for a sample based Yamaha CS-80, Roland Jupiter 8, or SCI Prophet 5? The hardware 808 is totally synthesized with free running oscillators and only Nepheton, ADM and a few others are attempting to reproduce that.
Mike Janney wrote:
kmonkey wrote: May i just add that your 909 cymbals sounds way closer then D16. Then again, there is a option to load your own samples which is kinda cool..
Thanks..! I'm not sure there is much difference between our and their 909 cymbals though.
I thought the Cymbals portion of the 909 were 6-bit samples while the other instruments were synthesized.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

fragmentated wrote:I'd probably go with Wave Alchemy's Transistor Revolution.

It uses samples and the Kontakt Player but has extensive round robin, a great interface and includes a 909 too.

Can't get much more real sounding than an actual 808/909 as the source.

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/transistor ... tion/pid96
+ 1 :d

I've had all the emu's and a real 909. I'm extremely happy with Transistor Revolution.

dw

dusted william wrote:
fragmentated wrote:I'd probably go with Wave Alchemy's Transistor Revolution.

It uses samples and the Kontakt Player but has extensive round robin, a great interface and includes a 909 too.

Can't get much more real sounding than an actual 808/909 as the source.

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/transistor ... tion/pid96
+ 1 :d

I've had all the emu's and a real 909. I'm extremely happy with Transistor Revolution.

dw
I'm happy with it to, I can control all the parameters with my Remote Zero SL MKII, but the Ram usage is a joke, I'm wondering how that Samplephonics weighs in with Ram - seems such a similar product.

How does it compare to the real deal 909 in your opinion?

PS Samplephonics do a 909 too.

I had my 909 such a long time ago, I couldn't really remember for sure.

All I know is that the 808s and 909s sound really real, the way I remember them on old records.

I was going for this specific sound, and the closer I can get, the happier I am.

dw

Return to “Instruments”