"Logic Pro X will eventually be sandboxed"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

as many expect.. logic pro will eventually be sandboxed per this tweet

https://twitter.com/Chris_Randall/statu ... 8354750464

"At some point in the future Logic Pro X will be sandboxed; all Audio Unit plugins and audio hardware will need to be sandbox-safe."

now what that actually means in context of logic and the App store is anyone's guess. but if you read the rest of the posts you'll see that there's a new AU eval tool coming as well. I'm sure every developer is thrilled about the uncertainty and about having to rewrite all their plugs after many of them just did that to get to 64 bit to work in logicX.

anyway.. it's hard not to just get a little hysterical and write all kids of nonsense but reading the tweet.. that's what apple is telling developers... so i assume it's safe to say that's what apple's plans are.

if they really make everything require distribution thru the app store it'll have a big effect on all developers.. apple taking its cut.. don't they have enough billions?

i can see some just abandoning AU which really is only logic at this point.. DP can use VSTs and AUs.. so i can see some users abandoning logic if they can't use all the latest plugs because the developers say "sorry apple" we're not going for it..

speculation.. but we'll see if they really push it all into the app store.

thoughts? any other devs want to violate their NDA w/apple share the news? ;)

I don't think sandbox will be a requirement for AU plug-ins.

George wrote:I don't think sandbox will be a requirement for AU plug-ins.
but apparently that's what the memo to developers said. :?

so, we'll see.

What memo? I don't have received anything from Apple. They warned for the 64-bit long time ago and if they are planning to go sandbox I would have been notified.

George wrote:What memo? I don't have received anything from Apple. They warned for the 64-bit long time ago and if they are planning to go sandbox I would have been notified.
I haven't received the memo, but some developers have.

Sean Costello

I laughed my ass off when I read what Chris said about Garageband:
Chris Randall ‏@Chris_Randall 21h
@ignatiusmusic I cut out the part about Garageband, because who gives a shit?
-Sam

I haven't received the memo, but some developers have.
Is there any source for that memo?

The only thing I can find is https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... index.html

Applies to iOS, not OS X.

per the twitter comments it was an email.. is that typical of apple to devs? or do they just send links to things?

Yes, Apple uses to e-mail devs but as said, it's weird they only contacted some of them...

George wrote:Yes, Apple uses to e-mail devs but as said, it's weird they only contacted some of them...
CR does do some iOS stuff so i wonder if it was for iOS devs only? which could be a good thing.. but for some reason i think CR would see that small print. :help:

I'm contacting Apple to measure the bullshit factor.

i think if you ever downloaded a developer copy of Logic from the apple dev site, then you will have got the email

Of course I did, and I haven't received anything.

George wrote:I'm contacting Apple to measure the bullshit factor.
in another tweet he mentions the new AU eval tool so... seems not iOS related. :(

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”