New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

20 quid. That's hugely tempting. :)
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

Barefoot wrote:Hello again

After I bought your product I unfortunately realised I couldn't
copy any values from a text editor into your synth.

(You have to as a Sonar user because the text is intercepted
from Sonar, is recognized as a hotkey command
and gets obliterated before the text can even reach any plugin)

Because of that, all Sonar users can't change any values
you have to dial into your programm,
-such as the keyboard range, for instance. :?

I hope you are taking note and eventually going to programm a text pasting option into your software for all the Sonar users.

Best Regards

Barefoot
Hello mate, yes, I will look into that, this is a notoriously tough area, because every host has different rules on how it consumes keyboard events. This is my first plugin, so I'm still learning all the idiosyncrasies.

However, you should be pleased to know that there are no values that require keyboard input in the Mangle (except naming slots). For instance, with the MIDI keyboard range, you can simply drag the box to change the note. You can also Shift, Ctrl, or Alt click on the keyboard display itself to change the lower, centre and upper of the range respectively.

I hope you are taking note and eventually going to programm a text pasting option into your software for all the Sonar users.

Best Regards

Barefoot
To enter data into The Mangle UI with a keyboard in SONAR, click the keyboard icon in the upper right-hand corner of the VST header. This will pass all keystrokes to the plug-in.

Any plans to release a realtime audio-input / effects version?
Anger is a sublimated desire for control.

GeorgeZ wrote:Any chance the Rate could get a "set to host tempo" button with playback rates like delays have ie. 1/2, 1/2*, 1/2T, 1/4, 1/4*...etc etc?
+1

I totally bought it. I like it. It's very complimentary to Granite. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, but I'll post more once I have. Thanks for the new instrument!

Also, gotta admit, an FX version would be hot, but no pressure, if you have a vision, go with it! :)
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

Madrayken wrote:Any plans to release a realtime audio-input / effects version?
it could be great !

filter303 wrote:
GeorgeZ wrote:Any chance the Rate could get a "set to host tempo" button with playback rates like delays have ie. 1/2, 1/2*, 1/2T, 1/4, 1/4*...etc etc?
+1
Hi guys, you can already sync grain rate to the host tempo. Click the "Slot setup" tab (top left of the plugin). There you can choose whether to include dotted, straight or triplet timings, or any combination. Make sure to check "Quantise grains" too.

I agree that this is currently too hard to find/access, and for the next release I plan to include this functionality in a dropdown on the main faceplate (like the Pitch ratio & Duration dropdowns, but with custom components).

scook wrote:

Best Regards

Barefoot
To enter data into The Mangle UI with a keyboard in SONAR, click the keyboard icon in the upper right-hand corner of the VST header. This will pass all keystrokes to the plug-in.
Wow it actually was all my bad. :roll:

Anyways thanks for the replies and sorry for my ignorance!

I actually didn't experience any severe bugs sofar.

This is one of my new workhorses now! :party:

widdershins wrote:
filter303 wrote:
+1
Hi guys, you can already sync grain rate to the host tempo. Click the "Slot setup" tab (top left of the plugin). There you can choose whether to include dotted, straight or triplet timings, or any combination. Make sure to check "Quantise grains" too.

I agree that this is currently too hard to find/access, and for the next release I plan to include this functionality in a dropdown on the main faceplate (like the Pitch ratio & Duration dropdowns, but with custom components).
Derp, thank you sir, I'll go check it out now :D
Eternitysound VST Banks

When I change envelope settings for grain or voice, the GUI lags. It didn't lag in the previous version.

Abloton Live 9
Windows 8.1

looks nice, is it possible to mark a specific range of the sample and timestretch it to the tempo host?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:looks nice, is it possible to mark a specific range of the sample and timestretch it to the tempo host?
I was about to say 'kind of', but while I was double checking I might have discovered a bug in how the LFO works instead.

What you describe should be possible by assigning a tempo-synced sawtooth LFO modulator to grain position. Setting grain position at the end of the loop and the end of the modulation range at the start of the loop (to account for the 'up-down' as opposed to 'down-up' ramp direction of the sawtooth modulator). It doesn't seem to work quite as expected. A big chunk of the start of the loop (i.e. the end of the mod range, given that we're doing it backwards) is missing, so the loop seems to be incorrectly cut on playback. Weird thing is, if you switch to the triangle modulation waveform it works exactly as expected: you get a rock solid tempo-synced forward-backward motion with the loop firmly in time and 'cut' correctly with exactly the same LFO settings. I even tried changing tempo while the loop was playing to confuse it, but it stayed locked to the metronome no matter what I threw at it.

So, what you describe 'should' be possible (albeit with the loop retriggered on note-on rather than following song position), but it doesn't seem to be working in quite the way I'd expected it to at the moment.

Over to you Widdershins. :P

damstraversaz wrote:
Madrayken wrote:Any plans to release a realtime audio-input / effects version?
+1 :)

Possibly a controversial view given that most people want to see this, but I'd rather not see an effect/real-time input version of The Mangle.

There are already so many real-time granulators out there. Is a real-time version of The Mangle really going to surpass the insane level of control available in, say, Melda's MMultibandGranulator? I believe it's actually The Mangle's non real-time approach that sets it apart from these effects and makes it so interesting in the first place. The precise control over the timeline offered by non-realtime granulators like The Mangle or Hourglass puts them in an entirely different ball park to audio input granulators. Granulation is at it's best when you can precisely manipulate time, and The Mangle does this brilliantly.

As any developer only has so much time to spend on his or her product, I'd rather see that time invested in enhancing The Mangle's synthesis capabilities and pushing further into the realms of things that are impossible with real-time granulation. This is (AFAIK) the first granulator that offers the sonic possibilities of non-real time granulation in a DAW environment. I think it'd be a shame if development efforts were refocused on adding features that a ton of other plugs already offer, rather than on developing the things that make it so distinguished in the first place.

Return to “Instruments”