Field recorder suggestions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because I've bought a few sample manipulators in the last couple of months. Not to mention I live on a mountain in a desert not too far from the sea where sounds abound (even those different from what is commercially available).
I find I'm getting some interest in doing some field sampling of my own.

Looking for suggestions of portable recorders for this and ranged from beginning to advanced models/average pricing to look at.

Really hoping some of the KVR experts of sound design chime in here.

(Wasn't sure If I should put this in the sampling section or here, but here seems more logical).

Please give me your suggestions!

I'm very happy with my Tascam HD-P2, it's preamps are hissfree and the overall functionality is splendid. I also have a Marantz PMD 671, but since I got the Tascam it hardly gets any use.

Those are really nice Simon. What mic do you prefer with it?

Maybe a little more than can be spent to begin with though.
(This is something my wife is asking about for anniversary/xmas ideas).

Any suggestions in the hand-held range? Or is the recording quality make them not worth considering?

BBFG# wrote:Those are really nice Simon. What mic do you prefer with it?

Any suggestions in the hand-held range? Or is the recording quality make them not worth considering?
I use the Tascam mainly with 2 Sennheiser shotgun mics (MKH 70) in windshield cages mounted on a boom, indoors I also use an Audiotechnica Stereo mic.

But you can't go wrong with any of the Zoom series, they are good quality for the money, I also use a H2 with binaural in-ear mics or the built in mics (also in 4-track, if needed).

Windshielding is probably the most important topic on a mountain in the desert near to the seaside, wind tends to destroy recordings pretty easy and even with RX3 you can't repair that.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Windshielding is probably the most important topic on a mountain in the desert near to the seaside, wind tends to destroy recordings pretty easy and even with RX3 you can't repair that.
This is very true.

I bought a Zoom H4N a couple of years ago and it is spectacularly good.

BBFG# wrote:I live on a mountain in a desert not too far from the sea where sounds abound (even those different from what is commercially available). I find I'm getting some interest in doing some field sampling of my own.
My latest "field" setup, with which I am most pleased:

Tascam DR-40

Rode NTG3 (shotgun) and stereo Rode NT4

and indispensable

(w/dead-cat)

As stated, even if you just start with the 'hand-held' recorder (no mics/blimp) a 'windscreen' and (I would add) a shock-mount/handle and/or small tripod are necessary accessories.

Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I use a Zoom H4N with either built in mic's or with a Röde NTG3 and a dead cat. Works very nice and I can highly recommend it.
As mentioned, the wind shielding (preferably a dead cat) is even perhaps the most important part of the equation. Depending on what you want to record that is.
Worth mentioning is that the H4N is very sensitive when holding it so you have to use a firm grip or a handle if using the built in mic's.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Windshielding is probably the most important topic on a mountain in the desert near to the seaside, wind tends to destroy recordings pretty easy and even with RX3 you can't repair that.
Quicky upload example:

One minute A/B ~ walking through an open-air market. NTG3 with blimp/dead-cat, DR-40 built-ins in X/Y config w/o windscreen, facing forward inline with the Rode @ approx 6-inches below the blimp. dual-stereo mode. (though the NTG3 records mono to left channel) No post processing/noise reduction, save for 'crop', minimal fade-in/out, and "normalization" @ -16 dB.

http://snd.sc/1k0kdzP

Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Nothing to see here.

See below.

v v
v v
v v
v v
v v
Last edited by optofonik on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let us wander through a great modern city with our ears more alert than our eyes..." Luigi Russolo, 1913

BBFG# wrote:Those are really nice Simon. What mic do you prefer with it?

If it's a handheld you're looking for then before you buy check these audio samples out:

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portable- ... mples.html

I ended up with a PCM-M10 to keep on me at all times. There's an anecdote among photographers, "What's the best camera to use for...?"

"The one you have on you."
"Let us wander through a great modern city with our ears more alert than our eyes..." Luigi Russolo, 1913

The more I look at Simon's Tascam, the more I want it.

But I have to be honest, since I know I don't like carrying around objects that size much. For starting out, I think a handheld is probably the best route and see if that propels me to further madness in capturing sound. ;)

I also identify with the statement, "the best is the one you have with you" and think this is something that would be good even if the insanity of sound takes me into collecting multiple recorders as an inevitable later on.

So the Tascam and Zoom are looking good to begin with. Likewise, any suggestions on a 'smaller' but as close to the Rode as possible would be nice?

I noticed one of the handhelds came with a handle, but does that really give enough stabilization to reduce the noise for the built in mic? I know there are some flexible mini-tri-pods for cameras and wonder if that would be a better way to go.

So between Zoom and Tascam... opinions?

if you can afford it, the best portable all in one Digital recorder that has been made in the past few years is the Sony PCM-D1.

goldenanalog wrote:if you can afford it, the best portable all in one Digital recorder that has been made in the past few years is the Sony PCM-D1.
Google search comes up with it being 'no longer available' Some sites are redirecting to the PCM-D50. But Amazon showed some accessories for these which made the search fruitful!

BBFG# wrote:The more I look at Simon's Tascam, the more I want it.

But I have to be honest, since I know I don't like carrying around objects that size much. For starting out, I think a handheld is probably the best route and see if that propels me to further madness in capturing sound. ;)
Sure, carrying all the gear around when field-recording is less spontaneous and people notice you, ask you silly questions or stop being themselves (animals don't cars, although dogs react to my big gear...), so I also always have a Zoom H2 with me and it's very valuable.

But sound-quality-wise there is just no comparison between smaller handheld recorders with built-in mics and the big gear, so it totally depends on what you want to use the recordings for. Of course the audio from smaller recorders can be pimped, but you can't add the frequency resolution some really good mics and good A/D converters provide.

BBFG# wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:if you can afford it, the best portable all in one Digital recorder that has been made in the past few years is the Sony PCM-D1.
Google search comes up with it being 'no longer available' Some sites are redirecting to the PCM-D50. But Amazon showed some accessories for these which made the search fruitful!
It's a ridiculous object; thoroughly over-engineered like a Walkman pro in space-titanium, professional microphone elements, etc. etc.

Future collectors item.

Not available new, but I often see them on eBay (one now for 1500).

From what I understand, it was built to support film production. It even has ballistic meters - a lot's there in it's relatively tiny package.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”