Vanguard2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vanguard

So it IS true! I got so fed up waiting for anything interesting coming from reFX I stopped reading the newsletters. The announcement wasn't even in the title so I threw it in the trash...just dug it out and there it was.

I'm still a user of the original Vanguard...it was one of the first soft synths I ever actually purchased. There's still some cool banks in the KVR archives too...when I'm looking for that sound, I put it up and let it rip.

That said, I'm stoked! Finally...
S1gns Of L1fe
Ambient Music Producer | Content Creator

Kudos to reFX for showing people haven't wasted their money in their products and keep them alive years later. Well done reFX! :clap:

mhog wrote:ReFX newsletter: Vanguard2 on the way! 64 bit, fully backwards compatibility, free upgrade for license owners.
Weirdest thing. I actually contacted them not more than a couple of months ago asking what happened with Vanguard 2 - they wrote back and said it wasn't being developed.

But this is good news! Let's hope there are some new stuff in it as well!

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:
Weirdest thing. I actually contacted them not more than a couple of months ago asking what happened with Vanguard 2 - they wrote back and said it wasn't being developed
Sounds like it could be just an overall repackage of the old Vanguard synth engine, like Z3ta+2.

I hope they'll rebuild complete synth engine, if they only update V1 to 64bit and call it V2, than I am not interested in more plastic and metallic sounds.

HcDoom wrote:I hope they'll rebuild complete synth engine, if they only update V1 to 64bit and call it V2, than I am not interested in more plastic and metallic sounds.
Realistically, if it was a huge rewrite onto a different engine, they'd most likely be charging upgrade fees.

That fact that it's a free update suggests it's basically a reworking of Vanguard 1 into a 64-bit version, which probably won't have much in the way of new features...

In it's day Vanguard was a cool synth but there are so many better synths now that it's become obsolete (to me). I might be interested in an updated Vanguard but supporting ReFx isn't something I'm too interested in doing anymore. V2 would have to be a significant update in sound and function and not be dongled. I have my doubts it will meet that criteria............. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

beely wrote: That fact that it's a free update suggests it's basically a reworking of Vanguard 1 into a 64-bit version, which probably won't have much in the way of new features...
If that's true then no it won't have any new features............
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Why new features? Vanguard 64 is just what we asked for. Now, I just bought 32 lives (32 to 64 bridge) BECAUSE of it (and Sylenth1). So... I don't want a different synth. I like it as it is: typical sid-vintage, supersaw and trancegate-ready. I hope it won't change, I like that "plastic" sound. Vanguard :party:
Last edited by mhog on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReFX seems to get alot of the same things said I notice on this website, their synths sound plastic blah,blah lol - I still use this synth as well as Nexus,and I think they sound amazing.

I wonder what some of your monitoring setups are, because those synths, sound warm, clean in many cases, and are coded smooth as butter. I actually sold off my TI at one point,because of Nexus and Vanguard, I just didin't think the TI replaced what these we're doing for me.

Cheers for the great news x64 good job ReFX! :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Isn't QuadraSID 32bit only as well?
I'd rather see this one updated - but who knows.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

i think Vanguard would deserve more update than adding 64bit functionality. mainly i hope the gui will a bit bigger (at least knobs). from the newsletter refx assures backwards compatibility, which could suggest adding some new features...

It would be great to have a proper browser.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

mhog wrote:ReFX newsletter: Vanguard2 on the way! 64 bit, fully backwards compatibility, free upgrade for license owners.

This is wonderful news as originally there was not going to be backwards compat. No brainer for me, as i have like 5 thousand vanguard presets and was my last remaining 32 bit plugin i wanted to use in the 64 bit Logic X. truth be told, if i was starting again now, I wouldn't need vanguard.. but back in the day, it was one of the best, and i used it in hundreds of songs, so I am kind of stuck without it at present..

The other thing is of course, and I can't speak for version 2, but 32 voices being played simultaneously on a modern i7 is only like 10% cpu usage! So for people with older machines and 32 bit, even the first vanguard is still a compelling and well priced choice with tons of presets.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”