Zebra vs Absynth for ambient?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most collages are lame too. ;)

Consider Halion5. There is a brilliant granular synthesis and routing. It's like having Absynth but more flexible one.

Igro wrote:Consider Halion5. There is a brilliant granular synthesis and routing. It's like having Absynth but more flexible one.
And requires a dongle...

Are there people who make ambient music with dongles? :o

Tricky-Loops wrote:Are there people who make ambient music with dongles? :o
Depends on the molly.
:hihi:

woolyloach wrote:I'm really leaning towards Zebra now. As I do more research it seems Absynth is a pain to create patches for, while with Zebra I can get Dark Zebra and go from there...
Sure Absynth isn't the most fun to design sounds with the normal way. But there is something else very unique about Absynth when it comes to patch design. And that is the patch morphing. This function alone makes Absynth extremely fun to experiment with. The really cool thing is that you can start with some patch and then filter the massive preset library down to certain characteristics that you want in your sound, then hit the morph button and Absynth will actually morph the current preset towards the patch characteristics that are filtered on. So you can keep it in a certain area of sound and then tweak as you go. I can't even believe how many really useful and interesting sounds I've come up with using the morph in Absynth. Just amazing.

You can also incorporate surround sound with Absynth.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Surprised nobody mentioned Absynth's envelopes (or maybe I've missed it). Absynth has some 64 multi segment envelopes with a nice big graph to edit them. Granted, Zebra's 4 MSEG's may cut it depending on your needs, but for big evolving ambient sounds, this may just give Absynth the edge. YMMV of course.

absynth can do mutation to transform a basic sample into a wonderful sound
so it is not difficult to program if you love randomization and happy accident :love:

Absynth's finest ambient chops are to be found in its granular processing and fx section - it's got a certain airy, luminous quality that's great for ambient textures. That's where it outshines Zebra, but that's about it. And just wait til the Zeeb goes to 3.... I hope sample import and a new reverb module are on the list!

re: press a key and make ambient... yeah. Lame. Not everyone is a sound designer, but so much of ambient is ABOUT sound that I find it hard to respect the find a preset and press a key faction. Not that it's all that important, because you can hear the difference anyway. Take the ultra-complex soundscapes of Tim Hecker and contrast them with run-of-the-mill ambient and hear what I mean. The quality always shines through.

buy one now and save for the other

as you like your fx mangling, absynth can be used as an effect and zebra comes with zebrify.
so you can put one through the other and so on until everything is mangled to beyond the universe....

Yet i wonder why no Ambient-only-Synth has been launched on the market? Maybe devs fear its profitableness.

LinPlug Sophistry (officially No Longer Available) seems an exception.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sophistry_by_linplug
But CronoX3 has better sounds i.m.o.

.........................................................................................................................

Not to mention it's one of the most cpu efficient synths available. And all that other stuff... That being said I would not be without both of them :)
Last edited by DHR53 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delfinoverde wrote:Yet i wonder why no Ambient-only-Synth has been launched on the market? Maybe devs fear its profitableness.
A lot of HG Fortune synths are exactly that.

Delfinoverde wrote:Yet i wonder why no Ambient-only-Synth has been launched on the market? Maybe devs fear its profitableness.

LinPlug Sophistry (officially No Longer Available) seems an exception.
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sophistry_by_linplug
But CronoX3 has better sounds i.m.o.

.........................................................................................................................

anything can be used in ambient, from real world soundscapes to actual instruments and melodies to long drones to vocal sounds....
im not sure what an "ambient only synth" would even be?

Return to “Instruments”