how to change time signature to 6/8 in fl studio? i'm confused

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello

in project general settings i set bar to 6 and beat to 2 (=eighth note) do i am right for 6/8?

i searched on the net but people only change the bar to 6 only. i'm confused because i think if beat is set to 4 step it shows a quarter note and for 6/8 it have to change to 2 (eighth note) because eighth note gets a beat.

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

thanks but i don't think this correct. the bar have to be 6 mean 6 beat per bar not 8 on this pic

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As FL Studio does not have proper support for anything other than straight 4/4 don't bother. Better use another DAW for that.
No signature here!

It's kind of stupid and it took me a while to figure out, but it's actually simple:

For any time signature expressed as "X/Y", Bar is X and Beat is 16/Y.

4/4 = Bar 4, Beat 4
3/4 = Bar 3, Beat 4
6/8 = Bar 6, Beat 2
13/8 = Bar 13, Beat 2

In standard music notation, note value is taken as a fraction -- "4" is a quater note, "8" is an eighth note, etc.

In FL Studio, "Beat" is the number of 16ths that represent a beat.

In both, the top number is the number of beats in a bar.

robotmonkey wrote:As FL Studio does not have proper support for anything other than straight 4/4 don't bother. Better use another DAW for that.
Bull. I've done dozens of tracks in FL Studio in 6/8 or odd time signatures. Where it lacks is the ability to specify 32 notes or smaller as the beat size (no big deal), or the ability to change time signatures within a song (which many other DAWs also don't have, but you can work around it).

PVibe wrote:thanks but i don't think this correct. the bar have to be 6 mean 6 beat per bar not 8 on this pic
A time signature of 6/8 means count 6 eighth notes to each bar. This is also a very often-used time signature. You would count the beat: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and so on…
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/readin ... ignatures/

look at this pic...1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,.1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6
6/8 time :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

"Where it lacks is the ability to specify 32 notes or smaller as the beat size (no big deal), "

a pita if you want to work this way.. strange they would not support it though.

"or the ability to change time signatures within a song (which many other DAWs also don't have, but you can work around it)."

This is the problem. not sure there are any other daws that do not have a easy way to add multiple time signatures in a song. what daws do not?

it's the ONE thing I have been waiting years to see in FL :) YEARS

PVibe wrote:hello

in project general settings i set bar to 6 and beat to 2 (=eighth note) do i am right for 6/8?

i searched on the net but people only change the bar to 6 only. i'm confused because i think if beat is set to 4 step it shows a quarter note and for 6/8 it have to change to 2 (eighth note) because eighth note gets a beat.
thats right! :tu:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

looks like they are adding easy multiple time sigs in version 12

memyselfandus wrote:looks like they are adding easy multiple time sigs in version 12
ORLY? :?: Was that mentioned on the alpha forum somewhere?

Hink wrote:
PVibe wrote:thanks but i don't think this correct. the bar have to be 6 mean 6 beat per bar not 8 on this pic
A time signature of 6/8 means count 6 eighth notes to each bar. This is also a very often-used time signature. You would count the beat: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and so on…
look at this pic...1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,.1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6
6/8 time :shrug:
Well, read foosnark's explanation, actually read it. It's counterintuitive but he showed you how it works. EG: "2 beats" = <8th notes> because 8ths = 2 16ths. I think that's completely goofy but whatever.

I think we're all clear on what 6/8 is.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:As FL Studio does not have proper support for anything other than straight 4/4 don't bother. Better use another DAW for that.
I've done dozens of tracks in FL Studio in 6/8 or odd time signatures. Where it lacks is the ability to specify 32 notes or smaller as the beat size (no big deal), or the ability to change time signatures within a song (which many other DAWs also don't have, but you can work around it).
Which DAWs? What is the workaround? This is a serious deficiency I think. I'm actually quite taken aback.
Also, you're saying not being able to define 32 as the denominator is no problem? For you it isn't, I need more than that.

memyselfandus wrote:looks like they are adding easy multiple time sigs in version 12
Did this happen? Not at home and I've started wondering.

foosnark wrote:It's kind of stupid and it took me a while to figure out, but it's actually simple:

For any time signature expressed as "X/Y", Bar is X and Beat is 16/Y.

4/4 = Bar 4, Beat 4
3/4 = Bar 3, Beat 4
6/8 = Bar 6, Beat 2
13/8 = Bar 13, Beat 2

In standard music notation, note value is taken as a fraction -- "4" is a quater note, "8" is an eighth note, etc.

In FL Studio, "Beat" is the number of 16ths that represent a beat.

In both, the top number is the number of beats in a bar.
Very useful. Thank you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”