New from NI: Supercharger GT

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Supercharger Supercharger GT

rod_zero wrote:So, I was considering Presswerk but is very expensive and I am annoyed that it can't be controlled with Push easily because the parmeters are not linked when controlled from it.

SO I was looking forother thing to bring some character and saturation and it is between supercharger which sounds awesome and is easy to use or Saturn which is also awesome but it is more a deep hole of experimentation. I will get both eventually but right now I only can get one, which would you get first?

Personally I find Saturn super easy to use - where I find it a bit lacking is in the sound-department. Both the GUI and the actual functionality however are pure genius.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

For compression I'd go for Supercharger. That's not to say Saturn isn't great, it is, I have and love both.

Also, don't forget that by the modular nature of Saturns modulation system, that might also not be a perfect match for Push.

Saturn is indeed very flexible but just like BDeep said, it has tons of controls which can get very annoying to map to knobs and such on a controller like Push/Maschine.

Saturn is much more than just a saturation plugin though. It can be a wicked brutal multiband compressor, a multiband transient designer, a multiband transient designer compressor saturator hybrid crazy thing. :)

HERE you can download a few transient crazy examples for Saturn that I created for a session a long time ago.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Saturn is much more than just a saturation plugin though. It can be a wicked brutal multiband compressor, a multiband transient designer, a multiband transient designer compressor saturator hybrid crazy thing. :).
and also a myriad of tremolos, auo-panners, etc.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Indeed! I also use it for "automaton volume ramping", meaning if I want to get a "sidechain" feel for an element I simply put an LFO on the output volume and make it so that it ramps up in tempo synced to the song. It's so quick and easy as you can precisely set the phase (aka starting point) so you can quickly experiment with different volume ramping up things.

It's also fun to modulate the crossover points combined with the simple EQ section. It really is a tremendous toolbox for all kinds of things.

You can also create a transient aware auto-filter.. which is awesome. I can keep the filter cutoff low for transients and open it up on sustain. Of course you can do this better in Volcano 2 but for some reason Saturn is the one I always open for all of this mad Scientist stuff.

I really wish they'd create a "complete modular toolbox" system thing. One that includes all of their current technology. Reverb, filters, saturation, delay and of course all the cool modulation stuff. Heck they could even throw in oscillators and make both a VSTi and VST Fx version. That'd be epic!! :D

bmanic wrote: I really wish they'd create a "complete modular toolbox" system thing. One that includes all of their current technology. Reverb, filters, saturation, delay and of course all the cool modulation stuff. Heck they could even throw in oscillators and make both a VSTi and VST Fx version. That'd be epic!! :D
That hellish thing already exists: it's called Molekular and comes from Native Instruments...

I had Saturn some years ago but I honetly didn't know much about mixing/sound design back then, I needed money so I sold it. I know it sounded very good but I didn't know how to use saturation well then.

SO right now I need something to add some saturation/color, first I thought of a character compressor, I liked presswerk but the problem with Push annoyed me (yeah I know saturn would be even hardder to control, nveertheless the GUI pulls me to edit in screen). Searching for an alternative I came across Supercharger GT and downloaded the demo, I quite impressed by the sound and features, specially that it can compress and saturate to destruction elevels as few things can being that simple.

Then saturn came back to my mind and I have been watching some videos in which its modulation system is used and it can do a lot and it is very creative. So I am thinking that saturn is better on individual sounds and SG GT on busses.

Do you think it is worth to have both? Or I should stick to one?
dedication to flying

I don't think they have much in common, to be fair. Saturn is a "do-it-all crazy thing" while Supercharger GT is a sweet sweet compressor that does saturation really well too.

I have them all. :D

Return to “Effects”