Best Compressor Plugins in 2014?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Best compressor of 2014, quite literally would have to be this plugin that might just redefine in some way how compressors could be designed to work.

Manny Marroquin Tone Shaper

Certainly a very interesting, modern approach to compression.

Aubrey Lamont wrote:
Tp3 wrote:Is there a compressor in existence that WASN'T mentioned here ?... :lol:
Exactly. Pretty much every compressor released in the past few years is going to be good. It comes down to taste IMO.
RIGHT ON !
I don't need another compressor
I don't need another delay
the notion of "best" just annoys me
Those clippers still stand in my way

I yearn for a peaceful droducing
I long for this time of the day
where plugs just don't matter, y'know this ?
Where ONE processor is really OK
:wink:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Source material, right?

I just don't quite believe there is just one. If pushed, then DC8C2 ...but that is ONLY because it is a swiss army knife that can do everything pretty well. Buuuuut, the UA 1176 sounds 'better' than pretty well to me on suitable source material and does so much more quickly (work flow cannot be underrated). The ability to sound 'better' than the DC8C2 can be said for a number of plug-in compressors. But the DC8C2 is certainly serviceable in almost EVERY way on anything...which is cool.

I like the waves API 2500, long in the tooth as it is, can do some things others cannot. On some material the Vertigo VSC2 works like magic, but curiously, also can make other instrument tracks sound squishy instead of 'punchy'.

That said, I love the IK 33609 (precision compressor) in many instances for bass, bus and snares (not all the time, but when the source material is right for it).

I am a self-professed Universal Audio fanboy so I obviously point to ALL of the UA mark II's (all over the place) along with the API Vision comp (UA Fairchild collection - yum, LA-2A's - just like butter).
As mentioned earlier, I like the Waves API 2500 (on hi hat...kind of specific, I know, but it works fairly quickly and achieves the particular results I am aiming for), the Waves Abbey TG12345 (on snare), then finally, perhaps one of the newest kids on the block and a compressor that I don't believe was cited in this thread yet ~ the +10dB Boz Digital Labs Dave Bendeth Compressor. I just got this thing and working it through its paces but early indications is that it is something VERY special.

simon.a.billington wrote:Best compressor of 2014, quite literally would have to be this plugin that might just redefine in some way how compressors could be designed to work.

Manny Marroquin Tone Shaper

Certainly a very interesting, modern approach to compression.
+1 :tu: Was skeptical at first, but this is a great piece of software. Ditto his EQ module.

Return to “Effects”