What's a good VSTi for supersaw/hypersaw patches?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Tried it with the HQ switch off that allows aliasing in the oscillator?
The recording does indeed have the High Quality switch for the Digital Oscillator turned on, however when I was tweaking the patch last night I could not hear an improvement in this area with it off or on.

I'm going to post all the patches in a ZIP later this week- will be glad to see if anyone can coax a brighter sound out of it given the same restrictions.

You should definitely turn HQ OFF if you want extra fizz with your supersaw. Basically it fills in the gaps in the harmonics with noise, and it's quite noticable (especially if you happen to have a spectrogram running :hihi: ).
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:You should definitely turn HQ OFF if you want extra fizz with your supersaw. Basically it fills in the gaps in the harmonics with noise, and it's quite noticable (especially if you happen to have a spectrogram running :hihi: ).
yup...

and it also depends on the filter one is using...

@ UltimateOutsider: Thanks for doing this, good stuff. :) Though i find for some examples, the unison spread is a bit different, either too narrow (z3ta), or too wide (Dune). Only marginals though, it generally gives a good impression of what it sounds like on the different plugins. Most sound really good.

pdxindy wrote:
Sendy wrote:You should definitely turn HQ OFF if you want extra fizz with your supersaw. Basically it fills in the gaps in the harmonics with noise, and it's quite noticable (especially if you happen to have a spectrogram running :hihi: ).
yup...

Yeah, the Moog Ladder tends to smudge and intermodulate - not good if you want a bright detuned sound. Personally I think the Uhbie is the best for bright, clean sounds, but pretty much anything but the Ladder will do for that.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
yup...

Yeah, the Moog Ladder tends to smudge and intermodulate - not good if you want a bright detuned sound. Personally I think the Uhbie is the best for bright, clean sounds, but pretty much anything but the Ladder will do for that.
Yeah, I find the Uhbie my favorite for that...

also because one can use the morph knob and with the Uhbie, turning up resonance shapes the sound nicely without sounding immediately resonancy...

Yep! The Uhbie filter is also my favorite for that kind of stuff. It's resonance can also be used to boost the high end a bit, which can be quite helpfull for "modern" sounds.

There are some supersaw like sounds in this demo of my Dimensions soundset for Diva:
https://soundcloud.com/bronto-scorpio-s ... ual-sounds

Cheers
Dennis

Throw Oatmeal into the mix
..what goes around comes around..

Here is another Diva supersaw sound:

Diva supersaw

I made this before the 1.3 update, so this one doesn't even use the JP-80x0 osc.

Cheers
Dennis

I'll post a separate example with it off, when I get a chance.
chk071 wrote:Though i find for some examples, the unison spread is a bit different, either too narrow (z3ta), or too wide (Dune).
Hehe, I have a weakness for that stereo spread. In most cases, if I found such a control I just cranked it all the way, as it's one of the ingredients that makes the Virus sound so big. I do know what you mean with the Z3ta example, but I don't know what else I could have done to fatten it up by sticking to my "only single OSC and voicing params" rule.

The more I think about it the more I realize how peculiarly specific my exercise was. It wasn't just a matter of just finding a similar sound to the Virus, but similar mechanics as well (which is why I was working under these arbitrary restrictions). I don't know why; I think I was just looking for a plugin where I could just transfer my Virus knowledge over without having to learn a whole new way of doing things. Of course I spent most of the last week poking through PDF manuals learning all the different ways these plugins do things, so there went that plan.

What about electrax?

I haven't read through all the posts but here's my advice.

Ofcourse Sylenth1 sounds like a Virus TI with Ableton Saturator as I mention in the review but Rapture has some awesome supersaw hyper waveforms to use in Galbanum Waveform pack at Cakewalk.

The more analog of the two is Rapture. But Sylenth1 is really like a Virus when adding saturation.

The trance edm sytnh of the two IMO goes to Sylenth1 mostly unless you want more of a low key hard upfront sound Id go for Rapture. Its good for Hip hop , metal, pads, and those mildy hard sounds.

Sylenth1 is middle of the road in harshness, It really isn't harsh.

The bad part Ive found SO FAR about Rapture is that the noise oscillator isn't very noisy at all. Not bright.

Sylenth1 has awesome noise.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

I am loving Sunrizer by BeepStreet. Here's me having lots of fun with it, yesterday: https://soundcloud.com/az82/sets/sunrizer-demos

Eeek! Necro thread! :scared:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”