Please can we get a new forum for

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sendy wrote:Ultimately, people will say you sound like someone else, that's just how most people talk about and percieve music.
I do that all the time - to the point where I think it might annoy people a bit. I chilled out on the music cafe commenting because I find it hard to talk about music without referencing other music.

Possibly comes with being a total music addict in so many different kinds (except opera). Or possibly because I'm as clueless as anyone in an academic sense.

I did start to be a bit self-conscious doing it though ("do they want to be told they sound like someone else?....what if they hate that someone else I'm referencing?")
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

ive discovered some cool bands/artists over the years after being told i sounded like them :)

*cough*merzbow*cough*
A. The higher the fewer.

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:*cough*merzbow*cough*
:hihi:
i already knew some of his work, but was pleasantly surprised by the reference :)

I got told one of my tracks was like his once. It irritated me because it wasn't! It had some noise in it, but was mostly just ambient with a bit of static in it.

Not that I've heard everything he's done - too damn prolific for me to follow it all!
A. The higher the fewer.

yeah, cant say ive heard more than a small percentage of his work
and to be honest nothing ive thought i sounded like, but a comparison to anyone even in a small way who is respected highly within your "field" is always a compliment. well as far as im concerned anyway, not that i go out of my way to sound like artist a or b, i just do what sounds right at that moment, if it sounds like someone else so be it.
so long as its not coldplay im ok with it...

You could make a Merzbow album in an hour. The real trick is finding someone to release it. :wink:

Frantz wrote:You could make a Merzbow album in an hour. The real trick is finding someone to release it. :wink:

Hai. I knew heer. I has teh Sylenth, how I get screemy wibbly feedback bit from Pulse Demon?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Frantz wrote:You could make a Merzbow album in an hour. The real trick is finding someone to release it. :wink:
Important Records! (well, if you also happen to be Merzbow too)

I tend to listen more to American noise bands than Japanese ones. And they tend to have guitars and instruments that I can't play. I got a guitar thinking "surely to get that squall I don't actually have to be able to play, like early punk or something". Not so! Not for me, anyway. Maybe I'm doing it wrong (although that was the point, or so I thought)
A. The higher the fewer.

One in the eye for trying to emulate other people without the time, effort,skill and practice to actually master the tools they use!
A. The higher the fewer.

well ive got my guitarist here for 8 hours or so tomorrow
so you can look forward to a boxset...

make it limited edition and you can charge us £300 for it
A. The higher the fewer.

vurt wrote: well ive got my guitarist here for 8 hours or so tomorrow
so you can look forward to a boxset...
Guitarist! You are selling out already?

There is a construction crew using a jack hammer outside. I could record it and release a classic Merzbow album.

vurt wrote:yeah, cant say ive heard more than a small percentage of his work
and to be honest nothing ive thought i sounded like, but a comparison to anyone even in a small way who is respected highly within your "field" is always a compliment. well as far as im concerned anyway, not that i go out of my way to sound like artist a or b, i just do what sounds right at that moment, if it sounds like someone else so be it.
so long as its not coldplay im ok with it...

This is a bit off topic, I don't have much to say about the OP, but .. A while ago I was googling for something on KVR and stumbled on this thread, which was a fine read: "The argument that started in vurts song thread thread". It does relate to the subject of sounding like others or finding one's own sound, and it appears vurt's been good at doing his own thing for some time now (that thread is from 2005). There are some good points made in that thread.

Just popping in to link to that thread, carry on.

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:make it limited edition and you can charge us £300 for it
if youll pay 300 well limit it to one copy! :hihi:
would go someway to funding our upcoming gig, and would also come with a free ticket and bed for the night :party:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”