Xils 4 The Pin Matrix Modular Analog Synthesizer [V1.5 released + Intro Price offer]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
XILS 4

BlackWinny wrote:And here is a little book of 27 patches for the EMS VCS 3. A book which was made by David Steven in the seventies and which is very rare: You will see the great importance of the system of coordinates to have a clear vision of the matrix when we work on it.

This little book of examples is absolutely wonderful to learn how the EMS VCS 3 and the Synthi were working.
Thanks for hosting this second ressource book Jacques :hug:

I had it for a long time somewhere on an archive DVD rom but its really nice to have it at hand like this.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

BlackWinny wrote:Ehh...

Hehe...

Hehehe...

Laurent, look...

The original keyboard was... blue!!!

I think it's VERY unfair to make pressure on the wellknown vintage fetichist vibe of Xavier :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Yeah Gorgeous :)

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

and on page 6 of http://black.winny.free.fr/MAO/EMS_VCS3 ... ndbook.pdf

for OSC 1 and 2 "range = 1 hz - 10 Khz on dial"

for OSC 3 range = 0.02 hz - 500 hz on dial

can we hope for the future ?
these are the details that make the VCS a great instrument for experimental stuff.

and the feature to change on the fly the pin matrix config ( aka vst automation parameters for matrix pins)

;-)

Lotuzia wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:........

For example it is very, very useful in the Synthi Educational Handbook (see starting at page 38-39 and followings...)
:tu:

An opportunity by the way to strongly recommand this handbook. Because it explains a crowd of things on the architecture and the working of the VCS 3 and provides many experiments to do.

And for those who would be interested... I have it also in french.
Thanks BlackWinny :tu: Indeed one of the mythical books of modular synthesis. When you read it it opens a lot of doors, and the guy who wrote it is very open minded, adventurous, and creative. And this represents well one the main aspects of the EMS synths imho.
Yes! He still works and he has made many, many things in IT, notably in the use of the object oriented languages and algorithms.
:party:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Does anyone know if Xilistics is offered for free for those who upgrade from XILS3 to XILS4 during the intro period?

Thanks!

Lotuzia wrote:Well I can understand those who are, and will remain, antidongle for philosophical, or whatever, reasons.
The eLicenser is built no to last (with that intention!) Why I say so? Look at it! One side is thinner than paper and READY to brake!
I made myself a new cover via 3d printing and now is what it should be: Long Lasting and sturdy.

It is not Philosophical and on the other end is actually Fearosophical from the developer.
No war here :hug: , just some points for the whole deal vs Serial (U-He style which he's willing to share btw...).

I love Xils Lab and in fact IS THE ONLY DONGLE I own for this reason. Xils 4 is worth the trouble IMO but still, I rather not deal with extra components and the possibility of loosing it.

Capisci? :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

bharris22 wrote:Does anyone know if Xilistics is offered for free for those who upgrade from XILS3 to XILS4 during the intro period?

Thanks!
Hi Bharris22

Its not. Until June 10th Xils 3 owners can upgrade to Xils 4 for only 29€. After that date the Xils 3-->4 Upgrade price will be 49€.

Btw when you upgrade form Xils 3 to Xils 4 you also get more than 250 pro presets especially designed for the Xils 4.

------------________

However Xilistics is part of the Intro Price offer of the Xils 4. So you can get the Xils 4 loaded with more than 860 presets created by professional SDs. ( You also get a free USB Elicencer dongle, shipped worldwide, and an additional 30€ discout )

liquidsound wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Well I can understand those who are, and will remain, antidongle for philosophical, or whatever, reasons.
The eLicenser is built no to last (with that intention!) Why I say so? Look at it! One side is thinner than paper and READY to brake!
I made myself a new cover via 3d printing and now is what it should be: Long Lasting and sturdy.

It is not Philosophical and on the other end is actually Fearosophical from the developer.
No war here :hug: , just some points for the whole deal vs Serial (U-He style which he's willing to share btw...).

I love Xils Lab and in fact IS THE ONLY DONGLE I own for this reason. Xils 4 is worth the trouble IMO but still, I rather not deal with extra components and the possibility of loosing it.

So dont fear no more my friend. If Xils is the only developper on your dongle, then everything will be handled finely for you to recover your licences at minimal cost with Xils if something bad happens. We had a few -very very few- cases over years, and we are proud to say that we did not leave A SINGLE user alone and desperate without answers and solve the problems. I cant speak for other companies. But this is Xils.

lalo wrote:and on page 6 of http://black.winny.free.fr/MAO/EMS_VCS3 ... ndbook.pdf

for OSC 1 and 2 "range = 1 hz - 10 Khz on dial"

for OSC 3 range = 0.02 hz - 500 hz on dial

can we hope for the future ?
these are the details that make the VCS a great instrument for experimental stuff.

and the feature to change on the fly the pin matrix config ( aka vst automation parameters for matrix pins)

;-)
Connecting a pin live is indeed an appealing idea. I saw some demos of the (hw) Telemark who gave me some ideas. We'll see. Please don't expect something like that soon though. Also something to think about is that it could only be fixed mod. or bipolar +1/-1. Ehehehe. Tempting.

Lotuzia wrote:
bharris22 wrote:Does anyone know if Xilistics is offered for free for those who upgrade from XILS3 to XILS4 during the intro period?

Thanks!
Hi Bharris22

Its not. Until June 10th Xils 3 owners can upgrade to Xils 4 for only 29€. After that date the Xils 3-->4 Upgrade price will be 49€.

Btw when you upgrade form Xils 3 to Xils 4 you also get more than 250 pro presets especially designed for the Xils 4.

------------________

However Xilistics is part of the Intro Price offer of the Xils 4. So you can get the Xils 4 loaded with more than 860 presets created by professional SDs. ( You also get a free USB Elicencer dongle, shipped worldwide, and an additional 30€ discout )
Thanks, Lotuzia - I upgraded today :).

Lotuzia wrote:
liquidsound wrote:

So dont fear no more my friend. If Xils is the only developper on your dongle, then everything will be handled finely for you to recover your licences at minimal cost with Xils if something bad happens. We had a few -very very few- cases over years, and we are proud to say that we did not leave A SINGLE user alone and desperate without answers and solve the problems. I cant speak for other companies. But this is Xils.
Thank you. At the end of the day this is what counts.
I made a good container for the eLicenser.
If you need I can share the file and for a very minimal cost you can have it printed anywhere, even with your initials or whatever.

We need more in-depth tutorials on this beast of Xils4!
The other day I almost lost my hearing connecting a filter (I think it was a filter) to a wrong hole! :help:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Lotuzia wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:Ehh...

Hehe...

Hehehe...

Laurent, look...

The original keyboard was... blue!!!

I think it's VERY unfair to make pressure on the wellknown vintage fetichist vibe of Xavier :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Yeah Gorgeous :)
Hi BlackWinny

Another thing we have in common, this problem with the red over black :help:

I had already suggested to change red into blue (also for the sequencer), and I strongly support the toggle solution. In the current status, working with Xils3/Xils4 is somehow problematic for me. Look forward to see that suggestion implemented.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Hi BlackWinny

I had already suggested to change red into blue (also for the sequencer), and I strongly support the toggle solution. In the current status, working with Xils3/Xils4 is somehow problematic for me. Look forward to see that suggestion implemented.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

liquidsound wrote:.....

Thank you. At the end of the day this is what counts.
I made a good container for the eLicenser.
If you need I can share the file and for a very minimal cost you can have it printed anywhere, even with your initials or whatever.

We need more in-depth tutorials on this beast of Xils4!
The other day I almost lost my hearing connecting a filter (I think it was a filter) to a wrong hole! :help:
Thanks 3D printers are not so common in France. But I could probably find one :)

For the tutorials I'd first recommand to watch those that are already done for the Xils 3 and Xils 3 V2.0 on Xils site or youtube channel, and also reade the VCS3 ressources books that BlackWinny hosts ( A lot of nice infos in these books )

Then yes I think that some additional tutorials would be a good thing. What particular chapters would you like to see explained ? ( And if some other posters have some ideas about tutos, please post here )

BlackWinny wrote:
fmr wrote:Hi BlackWinny

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the input. As you can see in the last X4 version ( that you can DL at the usual place on XIls site) we have changed the color of the Matrix Lines to White, to get the best contrast.

To make the toggle for the leds etc is a bit more difficult ( Outer Glow etc etc) so we'll ask our graphic artist to make some variations on it, and it should be available in a future update, hopefully not too far away in time.

Return to “Instruments”