What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Electric Alternative - Do You Do You?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

nineofkings
KVRian

835 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Sun May 04, 2014 10:28 am Electric Alternative - Do You Do You?

Another one with lots of energy concealing a message about society (I hope that doesn't sound pretentious). This one's simultaneously full of attitude and poppy.

http://soundcloud.com/nine-of-kings/do-you-do-you
Frantz
KVRAF

2707 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sun May 04, 2014 5:42 pm Re: Electric Alternative - Do You Do You?

I think this is a very good song with some nice variations, interesting arrangement details, and good lyrics.

Unfortunately, I'd rate this as a miss instead of a hit because the vocal performance doesn't work IMO. In the verse, you are hitting a (falsetto?) high note several times which I find distracting. It's not terrible but it's what I focus on because it stands out.

The chorus should be very strong. It's got energy and attitude but you sound like a drunk guy at a bar doing karaoke. You can't just yell off key even if it's supposed to be punky and aggressive.

I'd like to hear you do a different vocal take on this. I do think the song is solid and has lots of potential.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
nineofkings
KVRian

835 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Postby nineofkings; Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 pm Re: Electric Alternative - Do You Do You?

Thank you for your honesty. The vocal on the verses is clearly a weak point. The chorus, though, I think is acceptable. The melody is very simple (4th, 5th, and 7th - literally 3 notes), and secondary to the other elements. The naturalness of expression afforded by a looser definition of vocal pitch fits the song, I think.
Frantz
KVRAF

2707 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 pm Re: Electric Alternative - Do You Do You?

Listening again my opinion hasn't changed. I like the song but don't like the vocal performance. I think it doesn't help that the chorus vocals are so loud and not really sitting in the mix. I'm curious if anyone else has an opinion on the vocals.
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
ccDuckett
KVRist

200 posts since 14 Jun, 2011, from Earth

Postby ccDuckett; Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm Re: Electric Alternative - Do You Do You?

I think the vocals could work if the entire production were "dirtied up" a bit, as it reminds me of some of the local alternative band 45s played on college radio in Boston during the early-mid 80's.. some of those bands lost their audience, once they got into a "big studio" and couldn't resist playing with all the expensive fancy toys available to them- the sound became "too clear" and the rawness and grit of low-budget recording which balanced their pop aspects were lost. I think I understand that balance of pop and attitude you're going for, and I just think it needs a bit more "ugly" in the production to play against the pop ingredients. Hope this makes sense...
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Moderators: Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe