Name your "one great" EQ, compressor, and reverb...for 3 price brackets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apples and oranges really. The concept of Redline EQ was a more streamlined/limited idea of concepts like (dare I say it compared to DMG Audio) AIXcoustic's ElectriQ. ElectriQ still holds a place in my heart. Unfortunately, the development halted at v1.9 or something. v2 was in the making, but was never released. Then along came Dave Gamble and the question in terms of parametric EQ's with custom models per filter came to an end. Wish I had the funds for EQuilibrium.

Oh and... Eric. In theory I can even mix with crap plugins. The result would just not be satisfying, or would take longer than expected. Depending on how much time I'd spend with them to analyze first, then mix with them. I could bring up the old topic "Crysonic" as prime example again. I think I was more down to analyzing these... tools... rather than using these plugins. Same with the excellent G-Sonique Pultronic (up until today, no manual). Though that one was easier to understand than modes "A to G" in terms of old Spectralive.

These days, I really focus on the essential tools - not "one trick ponys". As already mentioned - I can in theory build my own "plugins" out of basic modules and a modular environment. Think: EQ, Comp, Delay, Pitch, reverb - maybe one M/S tool, a linear frequency splitter and a suitable VU. Not as cool looking as "Tool A", but it's definitely more satisfying to understand what you're actually doing. And maybe even realizing in the process "wait a minute... I don't even need that thing in the mix!".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

codec_spurt wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:One of the best EQ's I've ever heard is the Reaper ReaFIR plug-in in EQ mode and it's free, but has high latency.

TB Flx is another great one. I can't think of any expensive plug-in EQ's lust over.
It's not fair to rope that one in with everything else. It is a Linear Phase EQ that is capable of many other things.

TB Flx is also another Linear Phase dynamic EQ.

Linear phase EQs will give you more accuracy, but it is debatable what that means in the real world. I did some very high end stuff with crossoverss using Melda Productions plugins. But at the end of the day, no one can tell.

Linear phase eqs are better for mastering, but they have pre-ringing. Yeah right.

I got a bad internet connection here. I'm going to have to stop ranting.
TB Flx has an optional "hybrid" LP mode that is LP only under certain conditions. Other than that it's MP as far as I know. Does he say somewhere that it is all LP with the Auto Phase mode switched off?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

What would you guys think about doing KVR mix challenges, similarly to the One-Synth-Challenges? Without the plugin limitation, of course. If we all disclose what we use, it ought to be pretty informative for everyone. Plus, whichever lucky KVR'ers contribute their stems for the challenges will get some great mixes out of the deal.

Mix competition sounds interesting, it could be fascinating to get into it from either end (mix or being mixed).

Zombie Queen wrote:Mix competition sounds interesting, it could be fascinating to get into it from either end (mix or being mixed).
You gave me an idea, maybe the winner of the mix competition could win having their song be the next competition. What do you think?

Unfortunately, I can't contribute with stems but I'd love to participate for fun. Hopefully it won't be a rock song :)

Uncle E wrote:What would you guys think about doing KVR mix challenges, similarly to the One-Synth-Challenges? Without the plugin limitation, of course. If we all disclose what we use, it ought to be pretty informative for everyone. Plus, whichever lucky KVR'ers contribute their stems for the challenges will get some great mixes out of the deal.
Last year there was a similar mixoff in the reaper forum after a "three plugin" thread.
You should be able to mix with just an EQ, a compressor and a reverb plugin.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php? ... gin+mixoff

Mercado_Negro wrote:Unfortunately, I can't contribute with stems but I'd love to participate for fun. Hopefully it won't be a rock song :)
If you win, gift the free mix to someone else! :)

Moonwrist wrote:Last year there was a similar mixoff in the reaper forum after a "three plugin" thread.
You should be able to mix with just an EQ, a compressor and a reverb plugin.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php? ... gin+mixoff
Thank you for sharing that!

Even though this is mostly all I'd be doing, I don't think limiting what gets used sounds all that interesting. I'd love to see people really tweak mixes out and put their own stink on them. Nobody's getting paid so why not just have fun with it?

It might be more informative to have an answer to this:

With the FX bundled with your host software, what's holding you back and in what specific ways?

I think I'm a misfit for KVR, pretty specialized on (real, not vsti) flute and piano, and the only effects I really use are Voxformer and GlissEQ, but I love these two plugins.

Uncle E wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Mix competition sounds interesting, it could be fascinating to get into it from either end (mix or being mixed).
You gave me an idea, maybe the winner of the mix competition could win having their song be the next competition. What do you think?
Actually, we already tried that once. But there were no 100% set rules that everyone could agree on - like: who has the ultimate vote in terms of what is sounding best, what loudness to shoot for, who are the judges, etc. It should be in the backlogs.

I'm a bit against such "judgement" systems - coming from Remix communities where "judges" where the norm and their words final (and sometimes even biased), I'm a bit jaded on that topic. Else, interesting idea - which might finally spawn an own sub board in terms of competitions. Now that we have a "One-Synth-Only" competition, a general "Songwriting" competition. And if there will be a mix competition like every other month or so... this would actually justify an own subsection IMO.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

jethrobull wrote:
I deliberately buy cheep-to-modest-price processors. never EVER have I felt that they sound "Amateur". I have my eyes on Elephant and AFAICR, it will be the most expensive processor I have ever bought (when I'll buy it).

I really agree with this,but I am the sort of person who would describe my favourite,preferred form of transport are my legs.
Me too, so ?

Does it make me an "Amateur" ?... :hihi: (I own a car, btw)
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Uncle E wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:will look at the other recommendations, though i am kind of sworn off of ik (at least their software, anyhow)
Just check out their 432. I don't think there exists a better native EQ - or perhaps ANY digital EQ - than that.
:tu:

totally agree

Uncle E wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:Unfortunately, I can't contribute with stems but I'd love to participate for fun. Hopefully it won't be a rock song :)
If you win, gift the free mix to someone else! :)
Of course, the mix should be given away. In fact, the stems owner should be the one who picks the one he likes.

I think it shouldn't be a matter of who wins or not because mixing is too subjective. It's just to hear different approaches from everyone and share what we did, etc. The owner picks what he likes :)

Compyfox wrote:Actually, we already tried that once. But there were no 100% set rules that everyone could agree on - like: who has the ultimate vote in terms of what is sounding best, what loudness to shoot for, who are the judges, etc.
How about we simply make it a poll to pick the winner? How are the One Synth Challenge winners picked? Regarding loudness, I think the mixer could make that judgment themselves. If nothing else, it'd be interesting to see what impact the loudness wars have on the people who vote.
interesting idea - which might finally spawn an own sub board in terms of competitions. Now that we have a "One-Synth-Only" competition, a general "Songwriting" competition. And if there will be a mix competition like every other month or so... this would actually justify an own subsection IMO.
Yes, this would be cool. If we get this going, I'll put in a request for it.

Return to “Effects”