9 Warning Signs of an Amateur Artist

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:To me, "professional" means that it's your profession. Your job. Not just that you make some money from it.

I'm an amateur by their and my own definition and will never be a professional musician. If I did it as a job I would very quickly dislike doing it and be looking elsewhere (this has happened for other hobbies of mine that are translatable into a career or profession).

If you want to make it your job/career/profession then the points made in the article are mostly pretty valid, and read more like common sense wrapped up in self-help lingo. There are one or two points that I thought were too general and couldn't apply to everyone in either camp and I feel they didn't really mark a professional or amateur distinctly.

I'm alright with being an amateur. I'm alright with people who are making some money from it being an amateur. Professional art doesn't mean better art.
well said, case in point:

I suppose I fall in-between their silly definitions or what and what does not make one an amateur or professional...Really though if a person gives one flying f**k about such definitions as defining them...IT'S THEIR PROBLEM (and they are a bit pathetic really too IMVHumbleHO)

All the best to all as always

Dean Aka The "Promateur"

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:I suppose I fall in-between their silly definitions or what and what does not make one an amateur or professional...Really though if a person gives one flying f**k about such definitions as defining them...IT'S THEIR PROBLEM (and they are a bit pathetic really too IMVHumbleHO)

Dean Aka The "Promateur"
Considering the absolute quality of what I've heard from you, you should be pro :)

Shabdahbriah wrote:
vurt wrote:
Hink wrote:
4damind wrote:A interesting article I've found with very good and helpful points to be more successful as an artist.

http://skinnyartist.com/9-warning-signs ... ur-artist/
may I ask what your definition of a successful artist is?
someone who doesnt make their bed.
: someone who can't find their bed.

:wink:
Someone who doesn't need their bed.

(beds? Where we're going, we don't need beds!)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Beds are for amateurs! Real professionals sleep on the couch in front of the TV!

-----------------------------------------
Computers don't kill people! People kill computers!

Last year I was in a bunch of bands not getting paid.

This year, I am still in a bunch of bands but now am in 2 bands get paid to play.

I didn't begin doing anything differently outside of playing with different musicians. Which also means I did not read this article before becoming "professional."

I suppose people like to generalize for people who like to seek out generalizations. Or massage their egos that they are doing something "better." Good for them. :)

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:I suppose I fall in-between their silly definitions or what and what does not make one an amateur or professional...Really though if a person gives one flying f**k about such definitions as defining them...IT'S THEIR PROBLEM (and they are a bit pathetic really too IMVHumbleHO)

Dean Aka The "Promateur"
Well said.

Hope all is well with you and yours. :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Sendy wrote: Someone who doesn't need their bed.
Jack White!

This is some decent advice overall....Not to be taken literally, like word-4-word of course. And ya know, I'd like to hate it more, but then I'd just be showing how lazy and unprofessional I am in my creative/musical life ha-ha. So I'ma say not bad, there's definitely some wisdom in there, and if a "beginner" reads it, they almost can't go wrong taking it to heart for a year or three til they find their own rhythm, so to speak. :hihi:

Yeah, for me it's just jealousy cuz I've got no talent :x

But I do think that some of it is absurd.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”