Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The new rule of being "more strict on submissions" is in place now. If you submit past the deadline, no matter if we hosts post "time is up" or not, you're automatically out of the game.

We have:
1) a huge, visible timer on our official homepage
2) auto reminders on Twitter
3) I do post reminders on KVR

If you ignore that, or don't have suitable time management on your end... no more excuses I'm afraid.

Other challenges have deadlines as well. Step over, you're out or can't be taken into consideration. Why should we be more flexible, considering that the idea behind the Mix Challenge is also a "client 2 business simulation"? It's not fair to all other participants.

And after 27 challenges, i think it's okay to tighten some rules
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:The new rule of being "more strict on submissions" is in place now. If you submit past the deadline, no matter if we hosts post "time is up" or not, you're automatically out of the game.

We have:
1) a huge, visible timer on our official homepage
2) auto reminders on Twitter
3) I do post reminders on KVR

If you ignore that, or don't have suitable time management on your end... no more excuses I'm afraid.

Other challenges have deadlines as well. Step over, you're out or can't be taken into consideration. Why should we be more flexible, considering that the idea behind the Mix Challenge is also a "client 2 business simulation"? It's not fair to all other participants.

And after 27 challenges, i think it's okay to tighten some rules
Looks good :tu:

The Mix Challenge continues February 2017!
#StartTheClock
Mix_Challenge_2017_#StatTheClock.jpg

Working hard BTS to build up the Song Pool again. Would still be great to see more content to mix for future Challenges however...

Maybe this year, we'll see a Metal Mix for #MetalNovember
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Quick question to all participants...

If I'm able to code a suitable "Poll" for the Mix Challenge webpage, would you participate in answering questions ever so often? Would polls even be your thing?

To us, polls would mean gathering a quick "yes/no/fish" overview of possible future changes to the Mix Challenge, or general statistics gathering. But you don't have to be on Twitter/Facebook or we need a dedicated thread on KVR.

Feedback welcome - thanks in advance.

Yes!

Thanks for the feedback so far, Jorgeelalto.

Anyone else?

Jorgeelalto wrote:Yes!

Yes :D

Any more feedback on this?

Compyfox wrote:Quick question to all participants...

If I'm able to code a suitable "Poll" for the Mix Challenge webpage, would you participate in answering questions ever so often? Would polls even be your thing?

To us, polls would mean gathering a quick "yes/no/fish" overview of possible future changes to the Mix Challenge, or general statistics gathering. But you don't have to be on Twitter/Facebook or we need a dedicated thread on KVR.

Feedback welcome - thanks in advance.
It depends. If there are many and superfluous polls, it annoys me.

Excellent and valid point.
Let me explain why I want to create a poll in the first place...

I want a poll to cover certain most common questions regarding the Mix Challenge, get some general "data" like (just an example - still ironing out stuff) "how long have you been with the Challenge" "are you planning to offer a track for the challenge - if not, please explain", etc...

But also things like "are you okay with the following rule being added" or "changes are upcoming, what's your thought on this: yes/no/fish".

The problem I currently see with this particular thread is, that it's barely used, or a lot of stuff is overlooked. Why? Because I just write too much (no secret there), which ultimately results in "did you even ask a question?!". So having something "global" in one place to cover the most questions, and possible changes, might work better.

In fact, those that are interested in the Mix Challenge, but are not part of KVR Audio, can't join the discussion. Those that don't use Twitter, can't join the poll either - on top of the fact that it's limited to 7 days (and the interaction has been really scarce so far - though thanks to those that retweet and like!).

So it would be another anchor out to the world, gathering feedback. Which in turn would tell us if certain planned/possible changes make sense and are accepted, or not.

The frequency would be (as of this moment) maybe one poll every other month. Maybe one every 3 months (so 4 per year). This however depends on how many client tracks we get at our disposal, so that the Challenge can continue. I really, really don't want to run into the issues we had last year - constantly biting fingernails and hope "can the Challenge continue? Can we make another month?!".

This - the Song Pool - is the biggest topic our little Challenge needs to tackle in 2017...

From the feedback I got so far via this thread, mails and PM's - the Mix Challenges is liked and loved. But it can't continue if it remains a "niche" and constantly struggles with "something". So we need to branch out, shout more into the world, we need more interaction.

The Poll is another step towards that direction.

If it is maximum once every three months, I can live with it. My English is also very bad and I hate to write English texts with Google translator (it translates badly). I would very much welcome simple questions and pre-made answers. That would save me a lot of time. If the poll is not a big one, I'll be there.

Still trying to find a suitable "Poll"/Survey engine... but I'll keep that feedback in mind.

Thanks. :tu:

I would like to point out that I often see in the contest that only one mp3 is submitted. Or a Soundcloud link without download is submitted. I feel this as unjust. Maybe we should change the rules so that an mp3 or a soundcloudlink is enough.

I feel your pain on this one.

The original idea was to have access to "HD" versions (read: Lossless, non-encoded) versions of the mixes and not just lossy ones. So that it's easier to judge mixes without the codec having an influence on it.

This however tuned a bit problematic after SoundCloud decided "nope - no more access to downloads unless you're signed up to us" a couple of months ago. On top of the fact that not everyone is on DSL lines greater 6MBit/s. So both downloading is a pain (which is why I opted for LZMA compressed ZIP files right from the start, to reduce the file sizes as much as possible - with success), and so is uploading.

We do have clear defined rules for that:
- please upload a high quality WAV, however if your bandwidth limited, an MP3 works as well

But recently, I see more and more MP3s only indeed.

So I thought:
"Maybe the people can upload directly to our server and then submit their links".

This however sparks several (possible) problems:
1) what about long term storage of his material? As of this moment, the Mix Packs are stored 1 months plus 2 weeks extra for "handling prior to the challenge" and "handling after the challenge". Would the client agree to that? (needs an add-on to the rule set)
2) if we offer an upload, how do we handle this? I can issue "Upload only" third party FTP access. But how can we be sure that if we issue an FTP access that people don't overwrite or delete already uploaded content (by accident)? Or that somebody has been ticked off due to personal issues with any of the participant and tries to sabotage the Challenge?
3) handling that FTP access means extra work yet again

And that's not even answering the question of needed storage space, or server costs.

So yes, even though I did not talk about this in public in more detail yet... I am more than aware of this issue. But I'm still trying to/work on it to find a possible solution that works for everyone involved in the long run.

Return to “Production Techniques”