What would make you switch to Linux?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

linux has good vibes not tied into greedy practices like windows or mac
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

glokraw wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:So we can run Bitwig, Reaper, and Tracktion in Linux, or we can just run them easier and more successfully in Windows or OSX. What a difficult decision.
Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:
I would think on Maslow's hierarchy of needs having a DAW would be pretty low anyway. who are these third world inhabitants that are clamoring for a bit of dat Linux magic?
It appears the elitists mock and scorn both recycling, and a poor artists
aspirations.
I think it's you being mocked for this disingenuous type of argumentation. I tried to be as generous as I could, but no, you are so driven to be right here you go for this stuff. People that toss 'elitists' like there's a point to be scored, and so glibly, are begging to be mocked, just as much as the man who will not be mocked.

Well said :tu:
... space is the place ...

ras.s wrote:
Now it's not obviously 1:1 with Reaktor (which two programs ever are?), but Ingen has some serious depth to it. It loads plugins (LV2 and LADSPA - there are individual oscillators, filters, MIDI, effects, etc available) as modules that can be chained together to make an instrument/effect. No interface making or stuff like that though, just wiring. (Never had a proper look at Reaktor though, NI stuff is quite pricey when bought separately and I haven't scraped up the cash for the complete bundle.) http://drobilla.net/software/ingen/ Check out drobilla's other stuff while you're there.

Another modular synth with a similar approach is ams. Their website is here and the latest binaries from few months back are here.
Here's a mention of Om/Ingen in a post from 2006 about AMS (Also Modular Synthesizer).

http://linuxrockstar.blogspot.com/2006/ ... synth.html

Here's the archive of that page, it's been up and in development since 2009.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://dr ... are/ingen/

Here's what it looked like in early 2009.

So it's made some progress, great, it's what now, mid 2014, some five years, amiright? Still no user interface components? There is some nice progress, that's good, I would expect that, but there's a long way to go before it can compete with Reaktor, no?

I had forgotten about Om/Ingen. I've used AMS briefly, it was unstable. As with almost everything else audio on linux, there's some efforts in almost every product category, but, and I've said this before so it should sound familiar, NONE ARE QUITE READY FOR PRIME TIME.

Look, there have been modular synth tools available in linux repos for decades.

Here's what ksynth looked like in 1998.

Generator was at version 1.5 at that time, still pretty crude compared to Reaktor today.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep98/a ... rator.html

I'm not looking to get involved in a development project that's kind of almost starting to be Reaktor and has been making slow progress for a half a decade, I'm much more excited about what changes Reaktor 6.0 will bring!

I follow linux audio progress on something of a background thread. I notice the improvement every time I install a new OS revision and see what the default sound components are and how well they work. I know where linux audio has been, and I know where it is today, I have a good sense of how fast it's moving. A timeline of ten years, which I've already suggested, is probably reasonable, before we start to see enough development progress that Linux is competitive to low cost alternatives on other operating systems in the same way that it is for some other activities.

Every once in a while I consider whether linux will work well for me for a specific application, e.g., right now I'm considering using it to host my ninjam client. We'll see, most likely, I'll stick with OS/X.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
glokraw wrote:Some of them save up for long periods of time, hoping to buy a recycled computer.
aspirations.
No one here AFAICT is mocking the above use case - people who have no alternative but to run a recycled computer + free software. That is a perfectly good reason to run Linux for audio, and it's amazing that it's even possible. The efforts of the developers should be applauded!
Linux can fill the need for modern software.
You've already shot this argument to pieces by suggesting the use paid software to make up for the things free software can't do in an earlier post.

Peace,
Andy.
There are clearly both elitist attitudes, and mocking.
And my use of reaper, does not mean that the same or better results cannot
be had using other free alternatives. I started using reaper in linux, before they
emerged. And linux users are typically using more features in free apps,
than I do with reaper and linux combined.
I am happy, and so are they.

Ardour3, for example, is not coded to be a general purpose daw,
it is intended to provide the very best audio recording, in the widest
range of conditions. A lot of the midi and sundries were added on later.
I believe the authors income, is more from actually recording around the world,
than what sales/donations the app brings in. That may change, as Mixbus support solidifies, and windows users become familiar the windows version of jackd.

jancivil wrote:
glokraw wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:So we can run Bitwig, Reaper, and Tracktion in Linux, or we can just run them easier and more successfully in Windows or OSX. What a difficult decision.
Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:
I would think on Maslow's hierarchy of needs having a DAW would be pretty low anyway. who are these third world inhabitants that are clamoring for a bit of dat Linux magic?
aspirations.
I think it's you being mocked for this disingenuous type of argumentation. I tried to be as generous as I could, but no, you are so driven to be right here you go for this stuff. People that toss 'elitists' like there's a point to be scored, and so glibly, are begging to be mocked, just as much as the man who will not be mocked.
I find "Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:"
to be a truly disgusting elitist attitude. Nothing glib about it.

glokraw wrote:I find "Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:"
Utter nonsense. You are twisting an obvious joke to suit your agenda.

Should it need explaining: the joke playing the fact that Bitwig and other pay ware was recommended to overcome the missing features in free Linux software.

Really. It didn't need explaining, did it?

glokraw wrote:There are clearly both elitist attitudes, and mocking.
What people are mocking is the attempt to sell us a Reliant Robin dressed up as a hotrod:

Capitalism: fixing the deficiencies in Linux. :hihi:

double-post
Last edited by glokraw on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

glokraw wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
glokraw wrote:I find "Yeah, but you're forgetting about the poor third-world folk. How else will they run all that good free software, like bitwig, reap.........oh, wait a minute :scared:"
Utter nonsense. You are twisting an obvious joke to suit your agenda.

Should it need explaining: the joke playing the fact that Bitwig and other pay ware was recommended to overcome the missing features in free Linux software.

Really. It didn't need explaining, did it?
I don't like jokes about poverty, obvious or otherwise. I didn't recommend any particular
payware for people in -->poverty. Mentioning something I use, is not the same as recommending it to someone else. That was a mistaken inference, and wrapped in bad humour.

What would make you give up email and switch to mailing letters through the postal system?

Frantz wrote:What would make you give up email and switch to mailing letters through the postal system?
True Love

glokraw wrote:
Frantz wrote:What would make you give up email and switch to mailing letters through the postal system?
True Love
Fair enough. Hopefully she meets your requirements. She is the last letter writer on Earth.

Aunt Suzy?!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”