Is KVR the forum that's the least EDM out there?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VitaminD wrote:What about the 'tarnce' mocking and nonsense?
"Tarnce"-mocking is there for a reason...

I use this (really out-dated) joke myself but at the same time made some trance-ish tunes. Self-irony is the key. :)

deastman wrote:
elxsound wrote:
chk071 wrote:
elxsound wrote: Anyway, it seems a fair enough a question since KVR is a popular enough place for music makers of all types, so a bit of rinse and repeat is to be expected.
So, let me quote, "Are there any forums like KVR out there that don't cater to EDM noobs?" is in your opinion a fair question to ask?
You missed this: "KVR is mostly technology, but sound design is pretty much all edm."

I would agree with this... KVR is mostly about software tools and people's impressions of those. There really isn't a *dedicate* section for EDM music.
There isn't a dedicated section for any style. Electronic music transcends specific genres. And for the record, never in my life did I ask the question "how do I make synthpop" or "how do I get distorted industrial drums" or "how do I slice an Amen break" or "how can I sound like Boards of Canada". If there is any anti-EDM sentiment to be found here, it had more to do with laziness.
It's mostly "How to do that Avicii drop" or something like that though, not "I Want to sound like Avicii". That's a difference. And if you don't like it, why even bother to ridicule the people asking that kind of questions? I know it's silly, but probably there is loads of people out there who know nothing about sound design, can't bother to reverse engineer patches, and are looking for a quick result, without being willed to put work in it. You won't change that by fooling these people, or ridiculing musical styles, which on a professional level, feature some of the most sophisticated producers of electronic music, i don't think there's a doubt about that. Even if there's people here, who will never understand anything, when they say everybody can be popular, he just has has the right connections, and it's not about skills, which is complete nonsense of course. But how should people know who never achieved anything with their musical hobby anyway. ;)

But the entire forum, which is supposed to be for *discussions* about sound design, have been 90% taken up by quick-fire "what preset did aviici use on this track?" or "what vengence snare is this?". These discussions are so narrow that they're only really interesting for the OP. I can remember, before EDM kicked off, discussions were about "families" of sounds, like how to get a good pad, or were just broader in scope in general. It's just so "straight to the point" in the Sound Design forum these days that, while I'm happy to field questions on EDM-style sounds if they're asked politely (which is about 30% of them at a guess) and not just "That sound in x, tell me how to get it", it has completely killed my interest in talking about sound design there, and I'm sure many interesting threads have not been posted because the poster knew that their topic would be buried by preset requests and "how do I make a noise riser" posts within minutes.

I think a seperate forum for EDM preset remaking/hunting might open up the discussion a bit and allow for more diversity. It's not that I resent EDM people doing whatever it is they want, I resent the way it flows like lava over all the other culture, causing it to die off.

I also believe that fashion and conformity have no place in the world of art (speaking on the level of an individual's taste, not in the strains of culture which emerge, which will obviously have tendencies and sets of expectations to play with and against). If you like something because it moves you, fine, but don't like it because everyone else does. That's the reason why the music mainstream has gone to shit... It's those bandwagon jumpers and peer pressure crumblers that I believe are being mocked when it comes to the ridicule of wildly popular genres like EDM. There's also the resentment caused by it taking up so much space, as evidenced in my point about the sound design forum.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:But the entire forum, which is supposed to be for *discussions* about sound design, have been 90% taken up by quick-fire "what preset did aviici use on this track?" or "what vengence snare is this?". These discussions are so narrow that they're only really interesting for the OP.
sad thing is, this isnt limited to KVR. for example, the discussion forums at designingsound.org (a site for film/game etc audio) got moved to stackexchange, and what had been a really interesting source of info from industry-level location recording, postproduction, sound design and foley professionals has been destroyed by a constant flood of 'how does i get this preset' posts, driving many of the stalwarts away completely.

About 50% of the time I'm of the opinion that 'how do i get this exact sound from this song' posts should result in an instant ban for sheer f**king laziness, and the whole thing rendered utterly pointless.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Sendy wrote:But the entire forum, which is supposed to be for *discussions* about sound design, have been 90% taken up by quick-fire "what preset did aviici use on this track?" or "what vengence snare is this?". These discussions are so narrow that they're only really interesting for the OP.
sad thing is, this isnt limited to KVR. for example, the discussion forums at designingsound.org (a site for film/game etc audio) got moved to stackexchange, and what had been a really interesting source of info from industry-level location recording, postproduction, sound design and foley professionals has been destroyed by a constant flood of 'how does i get this preset' posts, driving many of the stalwarts away completely.

About 50% of the time I'm of the opinion that 'how do i get this exact sound from this song' posts should result in an instant ban for sheer f**king laziness, and the whole thing rendered utterly pointless.
Exactly, and people wonder why EDM gets resented. It's not the music it's self, which is fairly easy to avoid most of the time, but it's the people in a mad rush to get to EDM land... If you lived in a village and then one day a swarm of people 100 times larger than your population trampled through it, crushing your crops and knocking down your signs and disturbing your paths, in their mad rush to get to where they're going, you'd be mad. If these people also didn't have the common courtesty to say hello, thank-you and goodbye I think that would just compound the problem. I don't think that analagy is too much of a stretch to what's going on in sound design fora around the world since EDM blew up.

When I hear people moaning about the moaning about the mass EDM postings, in my head I hear "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Well, there are copycats out there who create a tune by imitating the sounds, chords and arrangement of another commercial tune, and there are songwriters out there who write songs based on an idea and simply use sounds they like...

But then I don't care if there are 5 millions of copycats out there who are trying to sound like Martin Garrix. Most of them will vanish, anyway, because the music industry only needs a few nice looking "big name" DJs to make a bit of money with them, not 5 millions copycats who sound the same...

Another thing is that if you're a big name artist like Avicii, you can make every generic song of the world and it sells. But if you're a no-name artist, you won't get noticed if you sound like Avicii. To get noticed, you need to do something different!

Thanks to my 32 kbps snailnet connection (for 2/3 of the month) I cannot watch Youtube videos, anyway, so I simply ignore most "How can I make this and that sound" threads...

Sendy wrote:But the entire forum, which is supposed to be for *discussions* about sound design, have been 90% taken up by quick-fire "what preset did aviici use on this track?" or "what vengence snare is this?".
Isn't that highly exaggerated? Look for yourself, and see now many of these question you really find on page 1 of the sound design forum: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=100 Apart from that, the music is popular, so finding many requests for sound design in popular music isn't really a wonder. The fact that many sounds, which are being asked for, are simple stack saw wave sounds is another thing of course. :D But then, when you're tired of answering these, you don't have to do it. I think there are worse things in life.

Sendy wrote:If you lived in a village and then one day a swarm of people 100 times larger than your population trampled through it, crushing your crops and knocking down your signs and disturbing your paths, in their mad rush to get to where they're going, you'd be mad. If these people also didn't have the common courtesty to say hello, thank-you and goodbye I think that would just compound the problem.
That's what people who live at touristic locations (especially lake shores and sea beaches) experience every day, at least in summer... :wink:

It's the Eternal September all over again, and it's unlikely to change, unfortunately.
... space is the place ...

Anyone who doesnt know everything already should be banned for life, from everywhere.

Kriminal wrote:Anyone who doesnt know everything already should be banned for life, from everywhere.
Perhaps there should be "gold members" section at KVR Audio where only users with > 1000 posts are allowed* :hihi:

* I'm not serious
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Anyone who doesnt know everything already should be banned for life, from everywhere.
Perhaps there should be "gold members" section at KVR Audio where only users with > 1000 posts are allowed* :hihi:

* I'm not serious
VIP membership! You'll also be equipped with subscriptions for 10 different credit cards for a faster shopping experience! :o

Sort of like Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything.... :hihi:

@WR...I see this in some modelling forums as well now...Ready to Run...no kits or scratchbuilding ....it's the age of instant gratification..... :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Yep, unfortunately.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”