Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: I think I was never a young person in this way, preferring an era with its trend. I think all of these required being with a crowd that's using substances
There's quite a few people who like dance music and are completely sober.
You even have musicians like Mike Banks and Chez Damier who encourage people not to take drugs or drink.

jancivil wrote:Sobriety kind of sucks but people on drugs/alcohol are boring in a huge way to me.
Not if you're on drugs/drink too! Do you think all these people would hang out together if they were for the most part sober? I would say drugs and alcohol keep 60% of marriages together and those are people who love each other never-mind complete strangers jumping around in the dark at 2 in the morning! :hihi:
jancivil wrote:Trends are boring. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM is freaking boring.
..hence drugs/alcohol. :party:

Arglebargle wrote:
sqigls wrote:why do people use the term "electronic dance music"? Are you telling me any genre that uses electricity in any part of the process of recording, and then has people dancing to it, falls into this category?
Its not called electrical dance music.

:lol:

Reminds me of a British 70's show called Catweazle. He was from medieval times and was transported in time to 1970s England. He called Electricity Elec-trickery. :hihi:

sqigls wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:In the right (wrong ...) context, Frank Zappa or Mozart are also "noise pollution".

Peace,
Andy.
You take that back.
Frank Zappa was hardly EVER noise pollution.
Frank was never noise pollution.

I think, though, if BOOM BOOM BOOM BOX was ubiquitous in the neighborhood it could very well become noise pollution.

One of many reasons we went for the rural life..
:)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Music as noise pollution isn't really the best way to form an opinion of something, is it?
First of all, you're cherry picking like crazy as usual. I can form my opinion of the stupid music used stupidly for the acrobatics performance quite outside of the fact it was f**king robbing me of my ability to enjoy the space I'm paying for.
ZenPunkHippy wrote: In the right (wrong ...) context, Frank Zappa or Mozart are also "noise pollution".
This is such disingenuous argumentation. You know exactly what I mean (or you're quite daft) but you need to make it go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XdCIS-nopU

trimph1 wrote:
sqigls wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:In the right (wrong ...) context, Frank Zappa or Mozart are also "noise pollution".

Peace,
Andy.
You take that back.
Frank Zappa was hardly EVER noise pollution.
Frank was never noise pollution.

I think, though, if BOOM BOOM BOOM BOX was ubiquitous in the neighborhood it could very well become noise pollution.

One of many reasons we went for the rural life..
:)
'Noise pollution' should have a clear meaning for us all. Here, it was used by ZPH to refer to what I said about a real experience. I had this shit inflicted on me.

While there are times I want to imbibe some coffee in the morning and not hear fast rococo music (somewhat akin in effect to Nine Types of Industrial Pollution, or some Mozart), which is the way here in at least two places I would buy a cup of coffee, I am free to leave the cafe. I think there is no place you're going to be forced to experience Zappa music. Rather a desperate attempt, again, to sell an equivalence methinks.

But here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWTc6_-90I

:love: :love:

A whole lot better than hearing Arc furnaces at full tilt.
Barry

make your own coffee.

vurt wrote:make your own coffee.
Coffee with Kahlua.... :x
Barry

jancivil wrote:I think there is no place you're going to be forced to experience Zappa music. Rather a desperate attempt, again, to sell an equivalence methinks.
So no one has ever had to endure e.g. a drunk asshole neighbour who insists on blasting Frank Zappa at 3 AM? Just an example, I find it difficult to believe it has never happened ;)

Or are you saying you'd be cool with that? At least it's not the boom-chika-boom eh?
... space is the place ...

I like to go in and have someone make me the coffee, so they deal with the machinery of it and I'm not cleaning up behind it. If I had the money I would always eat out, kitchens are boring to me.

Today my preferred delivery mechanism for caffeine is Coca Cola anyway.

paterpeter wrote:
Skorpius wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Why does modern electronic dance music sound like... a construction site?
Because it's not music. As simple as that. Music is defined by harmonies and melodies which people can (or should be able to) memorize, sing along with, or whistle. If you can't memorize a tune, or if you can't even whistle the melody of an EDM song because there is no melody in there, it's not music.

I know this sounds radical, but no-one's going to remember any of those EDM songs in a few years from now, whereas Mozart, Bach, the Beatles, Abba and a lot of other real artists will be listened to even in a hundred years from now.

To cut it short: If you can remember and whistle a tune, it's music. If not, it's simply (electronic) noise.
That's narrow minded BS. I'm a drummer. Are you telling me I'm not making music when I do a drum solo, because you can't whistle what I'm playing?
paterpeter wrote:That's narrow minded BS.
Is that your usual way of responding to someone's arguments? Seems like you've really been taught in the art of exchanging reasonable arguments with people.....
paterpeter wrote:Are you telling me I'm not making music when I do a drum solo, because you can't whistle what I'm playing?
See above. Had you switched on your brain and carefully read my arguments and the overall message before posting your inconsiderate answer, you'd have realized I was not talking about individual instruments that contribute a certain part to a piece of music, but about the final work that reaches the ear of the audience.

To make it easier to understand for you: Whatever a single musician contributes to the final piece is not relevant for my argument. I was talking about the overall results.
Last edited by Skorpius on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:I think there is no place you're going to be forced to experience Zappa music. Rather a desperate attempt, again, to sell an equivalence methinks.
So no one has ever had to endure e.g. a drunk asshole neighbour who insists on blasting Frank Zappa at 3 AM? Just an example, I find it difficult to believe it has never happened ;)

Or are you saying you'd be cool with that? At least it's not the boom-chika-boom eh?
I never have. Have you? I doubt it. I think drunk asshole neighbors listen to something else. I've had probably as much experience with dealing with asshole neighbors and their stereos as anyone. Again, you strike me as someone flailing about; like I can't say it never happened makes your point, which is pretty f**king silly to begin with. Constantly move the goalposts, cherry-pick, straw man everything is your way.

You came up in here with 'what bothers you so much about music you don't like, just move on' and you don't like the answers. What bothers you so much about my answers you can't accept my POV and can't move on?
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil Collins...In The Air.

Terrible...especially when he kept playing it hour after hour...and he was twice my size...:cry:
Barry

jancivil wrote:I never have. Have you? I doubt it. I think drunk asshole neighbors listen to something else. I've had probably as much experience with dealing with asshole neighbors and their stereos. Again, you strike me as someone flailing about, like I can't say it never happened makes your point
Really? Your obsession* with Frank Zappa extends so far that you can't see the wood for the trees? Thank Frank Zappa is unable to be "annoying" in certain specific contexts?

Gimme a f**king break!

* and it is an obsession, which is fine - I'm obsessed with certain artists too - but I can see how their music might occasionally be "annoying" in certain contexts.
... space is the place ...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”