Why does modern electronic dance music sound like...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's ANOUSHKA Shankar.
:oops: My bad.
jancivil wrote:people are actually dancing
YEAH?
Yes, actually dancing and interacting with each other. A bit like the video you posted, except in your example of "actual dancing" 95% of the audience is sitting down watching the show (it's just difficult to see them in the dark).

In fact, if you'd paid any attention to the video I posted you notice that the people are behaving very much like the people down the front, dancing, in your Zappa video ... but on a much larger scale ;)
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
YEAH?
Yes, actually dancing and interacting with each other.
How do they dare? :o Did they take drugs or something like that? :help:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
YEAH?
It's resignation.

A: "I can't work this Wagner out".
B: "F**k it, let's dance."

I remember when I was in the UK back in the early 1970's watching Hawkwind and dancing away with all kinds of people. Then again, we could dance to anything.

You kids can't dance to anything unless it is EDM.

Phhoooey....:razz:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:I remember when I was in the UK back in the early 1970's watching Hawkwind and dancing away with all kinds of people. Then again, we could dance to anything.

You kids can't dance to anything unless it is EDM.

Phhoooey....:razz:
I've managed a bit of ass shaking to Hawkwind in my time ;)

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
It's ANOUSHKA Shankar.
:oops: My bad.
YEAH?
Yes, actually dancing and interacting with each other. A bit like the video you posted, except in your example of "actual dancing" 95% of the audience is sitting down watching the show (it's just difficult to see them in the dark).

In fact, if you'd paid any attention to the video I posted you notice that the people are behaving very much like the people down the front, dancing, in your Zappa video ... but on a much larger scale ;)
This is a lot of verbiage to convey to me something I quite understand. And I detect some emotional energy in skewing it so 'scale' and 'percentage of' somehow counters 'actual'.

But I am making a point by showing that particular behavior, somehow people can dance and be moved by something other than a four-on-the-floor. I would have thought my views were available to you before this and they are more specific, so for me most of your comments are you talking to your straw men. But let me be clear, I find that four-on-the-floor thing a bad sign societally as someone that was kind of a hippie when 'hippie' was a real thing.

What a great thread! :tu:
ImageImageImageImage

Gamma-UT wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:
YEAH?
It's resignation.

A: "I can't work this Wagner out".
In Germany B would have said: "Let's eat a Wagner pizza!" because "Wagner" is also a pizza brand in Germany... :wink:

ZenPunkHippy wrote:I've managed a bit of ass shaking to Hawkwind in my time ;)
I've always thought of Brainstorm as being the granddaddy of Trance, esp the earlier stuff.

Tricky-Loops wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:A: "I can't work this Wagner out".
In Germany B would have said: "Let's eat a Wagner pizza!" because "Wagner" is also a pizza brand in Germany... :wink:
This is why Berlin is full of dancers. They've never got the hang of food in Berlin. I mean, when the height of your culinary expertise is a sausage dipped in curry sauce, what do you expect?
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:But I am making a point by showing that particular behavior, somehow people can dance and be moved by something other than a four-on-the-floor.
Why would you think I / anyone else doesn't already know that?
But let me be clear, I find that four-on-the-floor thing a bad sign societally as someone that was kind of a hippie when 'hippie' was a real thing.
It's a bad sign, like Elvis was a bad sign for music i.e. it's not a bad sign.

And FWIW the hippy vibe is still alive and kicking at the types of parties I'm referring to (which are not about "EDM" as it's popularly known).

ZenPunkHippy wrote: The distinguishing feature this video has over your example of "dance music" is that people are actually dancing. Dancing being a key feature of "dance music".
The fact of the matter is, I posted a video of some music in response to 'post some music that makes you want to move'. So here's more special pleading.
Like you want to tell me what happened at the Palladium, '95% of the people are sitting down, you just can't see them'. When I'm pretty familiar with that show and those videos and know that isn't a true story about it like at all.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamma-UT wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:I've managed a bit of ass shaking to Hawkwind in my time ;)
I've always thought of Brainstorm as being the granddaddy of Trance, esp the earlier stuff.
Yeah, lots of influence there :)

Gamma-UT wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:A: "I can't work this Wagner out".
This is why Berlin is full of dancers. They've never got the hang of food in Berlin. I mean, when the height of your culinary expertise is a sausage dipped in curry sauce, what do you expect?
...at least some chips as side dish... :D

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
jancivil wrote:But I am making a point by showing that particular behavior, somehow people can dance and be moved by something other than a four-on-the-floor.
Why would you think I / anyone else doesn't already know that?
While I did not say that 'I think you wouldn't understand that people don't always need teh FOTF', I think it says something per the thread. It seems evident to me that there are people that seem to gravitate to that and little if anything else for their "dancing".

And you're not going to move me to a position where FOTF rave behavior is something other than it is, as if 'no, it's 'hippie spirit''. I think you know almost exactly what I mean in every statement I've made, but it's better for you to talk to straw men.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”