Best reverb, for all jobs? (ongoing process)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic

Talking of dead people. Here's my mate I sampled before he died, obviously. Shame really, would have liked to have got a few more loops out of him at least. Inconsiderate bastard. He was a vocal performance artist and played around the place. Great gig in the sky now.

Here Hibidy, I dedicate this mix to you. I started it earlier tonight to test the Bricasti samples you couldn't get to load in the Melda Convo, so it wouldn't exist without this thread.

You can see what reverbs I used in my earlier post.

A rundown:
Melda MMultiBandConvolution on the Kick.
ADverb on the drum loop.
Eos on the synth line (Spectral) and the vox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... 12-MIX.mp3

Recorded in EnergyXT2. Ozone5 on the final mix.

(The bass is Blue2 if ur interested)

Bear in mind that the Kick is IL Drumpad. Not a drum machine known for its fat and punchy kicks. But the Melda Convo can turn the tamest sound into a raging 909 on steroids. It's so much more than a reverb. It's a sculpting tool.

I really like the Valhalla stuff on sends. I think you could easily get by with VRoom and VintageVerb quite easily on most things, and as a bonus they are very light on the CPU.
:borg:

codec_spurt wrote: (Well, dead before you choose a new bloody reverb anyway)

J/K, thassa lotta dolla. Need to make the right choice.
:lol: Got a nice giggle out of that. I've chosen, I just don't know if I can work around the weird issues :shrug:

codec_spurt wrote:Talking of dead people. Here's my mate I sampled before he died, obviously. Shame really, would have liked to have got a few more loops out of him at least. Inconsiderate bastard. He was a vocal performance artist and played around the place. Great gig in the sky now.

Here Hibidy, I dedicate this mix to you. I started it earlier tonight to test the Bricasti samples you couldn't get to load in the Melda Convo, so it wouldn't exist without this thread.

You can see what reverbs I used in my earlier post.

A rundown:
Melda MMultiBandConvolution on the Kick.
ADverb on the drum loop.
Eos on the synth line (Spectral) and the vox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/860 ... 12-MIX.mp3

Recorded in EnergyXT2. Ozone5 on the final mix.

(The bass is Blue2 if ur interested)

Bear in mind that the Kick is IL Drumpad. Not a drum machine known for its fat and punchy kicks. But the Melda Convo can turn the tamest sound into a raging 909 on steroids. It's so much more than a reverb. It's a sculpting tool.
Sorry to hear :( Sounds pretty good! I think that despite pickyness that most verbs can get GREAT results if in the right hands (seems on your example it's the right hands ;) )

V0RT3X wrote:I really like the Valhalla stuff on sends. I think you could easily get by with VRoom and VintageVerb quite easily on most things, and as a bonus they are very light on the CPU.
Again, valhalla is the man. It's just that when the NI stuff came out, I demoed and demoed and demoed and TRIED not to like it. In the end, fail. I only sold the VH stuff to clear the herd, not because of any fault of the product ;)

codec_spurt wrote:
BDeep wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:It's VVV and Room all the way for me. Oh and Eos as well which I believe Sean wrote the algos for. Having said that, I probably end up using AD ADverb more than anything else coz I have it on most of my start up templates for my DAWs.
ADverb is one of those plugins that I thought about a million times yet never ended up buying. Still has it's place next to VVV then?
Definitely. Just couldn't live without it. If you only let me have one reverb in the world, it would probably be ADverb!

Little to no CPU. Flexible and versatile. Looks great. It covers more than one base and is not a one trick pony. And it just sounds out of this world. In a 'can't really hear it till I switch it off' kind of way, which is what you want for drums and guitars etc. in the ambience dept.

It's a real workhorse. You can even crank it up and get some quite beautiful deep reverbs with it as well, on some material anyway.

VVV is more dramatic for sure, though it can be dialled down and used for emulating spaces. Room really excels at this of course by design, and it is entirely possible (in my mind at least) to do the kind of things that ADverb does, with it, but it takes longer (maybe I am just inexperienced with it all ). I guess I would call it 'underkill'.

Sometimes you don't want much reverb in a track at all. Often synths or instruments will come with some kind of built in reverb. But very often when you work with a lot of drums (which tend not to have built in reverbs on them) you are going to want something that can just create a bit of space around it. So it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a biscuit tin ((c)Bill Drummond).

Then again, I have problems telling Plates and Rooms apart, they always seem to sound similar to me whatever reverb they are coming out of. Audio Damage say it is a 'plate reverb simulation', no mention of rooms.

Whatever, it has its place in the reverb box. Stack ten of them in a mix and it barely tickles the CPU - on inserts or sends. Not the most glamorous, but the most solid, quick and dependable, like a good friend.
Thanks for the thorough reply! Really appreciate it.
It's one of the things that appeals to me, a simple set of controls that even I may be able to comprehend. Much like Valhalla did with VVV opposed to VRoom. I adore Vroom though, for me it's the perfect reverd (sound wise).
And from what I understand, there are no rules as to what a room or a plate should be in the algorithmic domain. It's just a name that is applied to an algorithm that the creator found most similar to a plate or otherwise.

codec_spurt wrote:Just don't call his babies ugly!
But you don't understand, all those frames and things are IMPORTANT! ;-)

But back to the topic: For me it's mostly VVV and Uhbik-A which I happen to adore for it's organic sound. But I love OpenAir too - would be great to have as a VST.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

codec_spurt wrote:......But I still haven't been able to get as deep and lush a reverb that is just totally integrated in the core of the sound as Verbtone. The latency is very high on it so it can only really be used on whole mixes, but it is the sweetest most beatiful reverb I have ever heard in my life, bar none, including any of the Valhalla stuff.

Drawbacks? It is CPU thirsty and it isn't very flexible, more a kind of 'This is the effect, do you want more or less of it' kind of thing. But that is ok coz of how it's modeled, I guess it has to be that way. Also, that kind of reverb is not a workhorse, it's the sort of thing you only need now and again.

I'm surprised more people don't rave about it.

http://www.sknote.it/Verbtone.htm

And it only costs a bit more than a tenner. I can't understand anyone who says they are a reverb junkie and them not having this in their box of tricks.

In fact, I think I'm going to upgrade to the bundle and get Necklace which is a modeled spring reverb. It's only a fiver or so.

If it's half as good as the modeling on Verbtone it will be a winner. This guy is a dsp genius (quintosardo is it?)

http://www.sknote.it/Necklace.htm
Verbtone certainly looks interesting but it appears there are no demo versions. I realize it isn't expensive but given that VVV, Shimmer and Room have me covered for almost anything I can imagine, it would be nice to be able to demo Verbtone to see if it would give me something I need.
I like that he offers the plans for constructing the physical plate he modelled Verbtone from though. That could be an interesting project.

V0RT3X wrote:I really like the Valhalla stuff on sends. I think you could easily get by with VRoom and VintageVerb quite easily on most things, and as a bonus they are very light on the CPU.
These are the perfect send reverbs. Great quality and extremely low on CPU. Two instances of VVV registers 1-2% on my system. Enough said there.

The best reverb is that one that you like. :phones:

xtrax wrote:The best reverb is that one that you like. :phones:
I thought i was happy with abletons reverb until i tried the valhalla stuff lol

I thought I was happy with Valhalla until I tried Exponential Audio :p

AusDisciple wrote: Verbtone certainly looks interesting but it appears there are no demo versions. I realize it isn't expensive but given that VVV, Shimmer and Room have me covered for almost anything I can imagine, it would be nice to be able to demo Verbtone to see if it would give me something I need.
I like that he offers the plans for constructing the physical plate he modelled Verbtone from though. That could be an interesting project.
Yay, I just got my download for Necklace and Stagespace.

As for demo versions you are right, there are none.

I'm not sure what the policy is with SKnote. I seem to remember they offered a 'no quibble' money back offer if you didn't like it. But I may be very very wrong about that so please check. Like how Audio Damage do. I guess the amount of people that take advantage is less impact than just putting it out there in the wild. I understand they are all watermarked so it isn't like you could do anything naughty with it. Well, you could, but...

Then again, I'm pretty sure you could sell it to someone in the MP if you didn't like it.

Verbtone really is a little known wonder in reverb land. Maybe you wouldn't like it but it is just the most gorgeous ethereal transmutation you can do to your sound. It's like taking a warm bath, with soapy bubbles...

I'll stop now. Gonna see if Stagespace and Necklace stack up.

sqigls wrote:I thought I was happy with Valhalla until I tried Exponential Audio :p
Yah I imagine I'll probably end up buying exponential audios stuff someday too. And Altiverb.. but only when i get more cash saved up which won't be anytime soon with school bills coming up.

Just to add one more, I think RP-Verb is really good too. It can sound metallic, but in a good way. You also get RP-Delay with it, which can produce some f**k top sh*t!

Return to “Effects”