2 speakers vs 1 speaker. Which one is better?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's the difference between 1 speaker and 2 speakers?

Is it matter when you do a mastering or mixing?

Good question - I started off with two speakers and realised I preferred mono - then taking the 'less is more approach' I ditched the remaining speaker and now work in silence. Since then my music has improved immeasurably.

One speaker for sure. It's easier, you dont have to mix as many channels.
:borg:

Seems like an odd question. If you're making a mono track, it's still mono when played through 2 speakers.

Buy one of these

It'll make your mixes sickdope

Oh come on, these questions are getting ridiculous.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

kbaccki wrote:Oh come on, these questions are getting ridiculous.
Maybe he has 12 children to feed and can only afford one speaker.

V0RT3X wrote:Buy one of these

It'll make your mixes sickdope
What's funny is that you linked to a DIY clone of the original.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43086.0

There's nothing particularly special about auratones though, you can make your own and it will approximate the real thing quite well. It's a sealed box with single full range speaker.

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2012 ... ne-review/

Arglebargle wrote:
kbaccki wrote:Oh come on, these questions are getting ridiculous.
Maybe he has 12 children to feed and can only afford one speaker.
Good point. I guess I didn't think of that. :shrug:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

I'm not especially trolling with this, but I'd like to ask you "mono guys" a question:

When you hear a spatially complex dimensional stereo mix (or even an "average" stereo mix), doesn't it do anything for the pleasure centers of your brain?

Do you really think, "Man, I wish this sounded more 'flat'".

I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't 2 kinds of artistic brains: Musicians who want to include the three dimensional soundspace as part of their performance...and those who have no such desire.

I sometimes make parts of my master channel mix mono using automation, but it's more of an effect than anything.

maxmace wrote:I'm not especially trolling with this, but I'd like to ask you "mono guys" a question:

When you hear a spatially complex dimensional stereo mix (or even an "average" stereo mix), doesn't it do anything for the pleasure centers of your brain?

Do you really think, "Man, I wish this sounded more 'flat'".

I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't 2 kinds of artistic brains: Musicians who want to include the three dimensional soundspace as part of their performance...and those who have no such desire.
There has been quite a variance in what constitutes "good stereo" over the years. Just as dry is currently in vogue in some circles I can see that "flat" as it pertains to stereo field might experience some interest. So, I don't think that you're justified in arguing that there's a dichotomy of desire when, if anything, it's probably just a variance.

Moreover, I don't think that you can say that such a variance in the context of monitoring is all about desire in the first palce. I think that when people monitor in mono it's more about not being distracted by stereo so that the focus can be on other things. People like auratones because they have a narrow sweet spot, that doesn't mean that people who monitor with them don't like bass or high end. Perhaps, for some, the stereo field somewhat takes care of itself and what matters can be more easily heard in mono.

You can certainly over think stereo for EDM production, for example, many club systems are either in mono or might as well be given their layout.

I should add, OP is either trolling or not very good at phrasing questions.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

My audio interface has two outputs for stereo. Will it be bad to only use one?

I prefer 5 speakers, all of them in completely separate houses and rooms.
Either that or a pair of sony headphones.

Listen to original mono recordings like The Beatles,Bob Dylan etc .......they don't sound flat,imo as well as many other listeners they actually sound way better than stereo version(original or remastered).
A good mono recording can be quite breathtaking! :tu:
The introduction of stereo was essentially market driven.
Mixing or recording in mono,when mixed by a great engineer is quite an artform,most old school engineers learned to mix in mono or direct to 2 track and many would agree it made them the engineers they became.
A band I played in many years ago(1980)got free time to record at The Power Station(now Avartar)and the interns were only allowed to record live to tape,this helped develop their recording skills ,mic placement etc.....

A good engineer can make mono sound 3 dimensional.
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

Return to “Production Techniques”